Rooted Froyo to rooted GB, has anyone tried this method?

LastBucsfan

Reaction score
I am currently rooted with Z4 root on the stock 2.3.340 official Froyo Firmware. I was thinking about using this to get a rooted version of GB, as it seems the easiest in my situation

New DROIDX Gingerbread 4.5.588 Rooted - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Has anyone used this method for getting a rooted GB on their Droid X? If so, how did it work? Also, what differences, if any, are there between the official OTA and this rooted version of GB?

Thanks in advance for all help.

jonathon1289

Reaction score
Well..that is an old version now. If you want the official rooted OTA, check this following link: Official DX Gingerbread 2.3.3 (4.5.596) Release Thread - Something for everyone

That is the official build pushed by Verizon. It is rooted and works great. All you need to do is download the two part zip files and flash them both through recovery.
This .596 build is the official OTA build, just hacked for root access.

wyld

Reaction score
Yep! It works. I've done it flash the 2 part zips .596 over Froyo using D2 bootstrap. Also I was told they changed the button pattern for Gingerbread Stock Recovery 1. Turn your phone off. 2. Hold down “Home” and press the “Power”. Hold them until the Motorola logo appears 3. Release the “Power” button, but continue to hold the “Home” button until you see an exclamation mark (!) 4. Release the “Home” button and press the “Volume UP & Down” keys at the same time once (and only once!) 5. Power button to select and Volume up and down to scroll

Sent from my rooted GB DROID X 1.15 Ghz

Last edited:
OP
LastBucsfan

LastBucsfan

Reaction score
Well..that is an old version now. If you want the official rooted OTA, check this following link: Official DX Gingerbread 2.3.3 (4.5.596) Release Thread - Something for everyone

That is the official build pushed by Verizon. It is rooted and works great. All you need to do is download the two part zip files and flash them both through recovery.
This .596 build is the official OTA build, just hacked for root access.

Perfect! Thank you for that! So I just want to install the patched update.zip one right? The one where it says I need root access and Droid 2 bootstrapper?

After I'm done with the install I'm assuming everything will be wiped? Then I can use Titanium Backup Pro to restore all my apps? Google to sync back my contacts? Is this correct?

Thanks again?

OP
LastBucsfan

LastBucsfan

Reaction score
Also I was told they changed the button pattern for Gingerbread Stock Recovery 1. Turn your phone off. 2. Hold down “Home” and press the “Power”. Hold them until the Motorola logo appears 3. Release the “Power” button, but continue to hold the “Home” button until you see an exclamation mark (!) 4. Release the “Home” button and press the “Volume UP & Down” keys at the same time once (and only once!) 5. Power button to select and Volume up and down to scroll

Do I need that for the actual install? Don't I just need to use the Droid 2 bootstrap recovery?

wyld

Reaction score
You need to know patterns in case you bootloop after install. And make sure you wipe data factory reset in clockwork before you install.

OP
LastBucsfan

LastBucsfan

Reaction score
Ok so dumb question then... what is rdquo and ldquo?

Also if I do go into bootloop what am I supposed to do when I get in the stock recovery? Just wipe and reinstall the zips again?

OP
LastBucsfan

LastBucsfan

Reaction score
One more question. Is it necessary to unfreeze apps frozen by Titanium Backup Pro before doing this?

EDIT: just realized since I'm doing a factory reset first it will take care of this for me.

Last edited:

jonathon1289

Reaction score
No, dont worry about apps. Just use the Patched two part zip files, and use D2 Bootstrapper or DX Bootstrap with USB debugging enabled (works for some, didn't for me). Reboot to recovery, wipe data, flash part 1 and part 2, then leave recovery and watch GingerBread load up.

OP
LastBucsfan

LastBucsfan

Reaction score
Fantastic it worked!!!!

That was so easy. Thanks everyone. dancedroid

jonathon1289

Reaction score
Enjoy!! GB is much better than Froyo. In fact, I like my current setup so much that I have been unable to even make the switch to the new LIberty versions or CyanogenMod beta/nightlies.

OP
LastBucsfan

LastBucsfan

Reaction score
Hmmm... running into a couple problems already..

I can't get wifi to connect anymore and I can't get Titanium Backup Pro on. It says its installed but doesn't show in the app drawer.

OP
LastBucsfan

LastBucsfan

Reaction score
Whoa all my apps just started trying to download from the market at the same time on their own...

wyld

Reaction score
Individually you have to stop app from trying to install. What will happen is all those apps at 1 time will plug up your system. And slow you down. That should be a reason why nothing else works right now.

OP
LastBucsfan

LastBucsfan

Reaction score
It was too bogged down to even cancel them one at a time. It would just freeze on the cancel screen, so I had to do a battery pull. Titanium Backup Pro shows in my app list, but its not in the app drawer now. The downloads are starting right back up and wont allow me to cancel them. =(