Thinking about rooting my x

ctpd845

Reaction score
So I'm thinking about taking the plunge and rooting my droid x. I really want to get rid of the crap verizon stuffs and the phone that I don't want. My question is I'm not to familiar with the rooting process so I wanted to know whats the easiest way to root for a noob?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

en28so

Reaction score
Before you begin, I would suggest that you learn how to reset your phone, aka "sbf before you start rooting. That's step one. Now are you on GB or FROYO? FROYO is easy to root with z4 root, but GB not so much. What I did to root GB was to go to a custom rom from Chevy, but I needed to go back to froyo in order to do that through SBF. this rom gets rid of all the bloatware automatically for you. Maybe someone else has an easier method to go to GB root. I'm assuming that are on GB.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

leftspin

Reaction score
as en28so said, read up on rooting and how to fix any mistakes you make [which you will do, just like everyone else:)]

both Gingerbread and Froyo can be rooted very easily, but what I would recommend is to SBF to Gingerbread (or if you're already on it then just learn how to SBF) and do the very simple one click root from your computer. In my opinion everything runs much smoother on the Gingerbread (.602) kernel and the ROMs work better than GB ROMs on the Froyo kernel. Then decide if you you want to flash a custom ROM (which would help remove bloatware and add more customization options), or leave it at stock rooted. If you do want a custom ROM, I would recommend MIUI. It's fast, stable, updates weekly and looks very nice.

milski65

Reaction score
Read, read, read. And as stated above, your first priroty is setting yourself up with the sbf process. I would suggest a google for 1kds linux solution. You burn a disc (froyo or gb) that resets your phone to stock (out of the box) condition. When you have that in your possession, flashing (installing) is much less painless. Chances are better than average you will make a mistake somewhere. droidmodderx.com is a great site for tutorials and downloads. Youtube and google will help you out with many of your questions/concerns, as will this site. Have fun, and like people say, DON'T PANIC if you get yourself in a situation.