Rant about DX

galaxy80

Reaction score
Ok, I don't mean to whine, but I feel like I've been forgotten about and left out of updates and apps like Gingerbread and Netflix as a DX owner. The great Droid X is about to be phased out to it's new brother and I'm still waiting, unrooted, for some love. I'm thinking about just taking the plunge and rooting my phone and saying screw Verizon and Motorola... Anyone else feel this way?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

DroidXCBR

Reaction score
Already did before I got my tb!

Sent from my THUNDERBOLT using DroidForums

Guyute

Reaction score
What are you waiting for? I'm rooted and running liberty gingerbread and netflix works great.

Beka27

Reaction score
If you wait for Moto/Vzw to do something with the best interests of the customer in mind, you're going to be waiting a long time. Take control of your phone. You won't care about a piddly little OTA once you have root.

In all honesty, Moto never has to update existing phones. If the DX gets official GB, that's going to be it.

(from Beka's DX)

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Yea, time to root and get your own GB on! I couldn't care less about that OTA.

OP
galaxy80

galaxy80

Reaction score
Well, I was trying to wait and do the "right" thing by not voiding my warranty and going against what Verizon and Motorola want me to do. Plus I don't want to deal with all of the problems that come with rooting like instability issues. I have done as much customizing as I can with Launcherpro and Widgetlocker. It aggravates me that these companies have left us hanging when the DX was supposed to be their flagship phone. Every day I read articles on Pulse from the Android sites talking about other phones, I get more and more disappointed and annoyed. I tried downloading that Netflix file from xda on my phone, but it won't let me download the files. It says my device isn't supported. I guess I have to download it from my pc then transfer the file?

OP
galaxy80

galaxy80

Reaction score
What rims do y'all recommend? I've done some reading on different ones, but there are so many. I want a lot of features like I already have. I've seen that some rims are stripped down. I don't want that. Isn't liberty stripped down? What do y'all think about cm7?

cobjones

Reaction score
Cm7 isn't available for the DX (see locked bootloader)... Liberty is about as close to cm7 that you can run...

It is very striped down, and very fast.

APEX is fully customizable between striped and full BLUR.

For more information check the ROM pages for DX.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
There are also some good how to vids and rom reviews on youtube. Search for xdroidrom.

Shad0www

Reaction score
What rims do y'all recommend? I've done some reading on different ones, but there are so many. I want a lot of features like I already have. I've seen that some rims are stripped down. I don't want that. Isn't liberty stripped down? What do y'all think about cm7?

Cm7 is a very good rom with tons of features but its not for locked down phones like the Droid X. The best current roms are Liberty, Apex, and the Gingerbread leaks.

As far as being stripped down Liberty has some of Motos Blur and the Bloat apps removed but it also has tons of settings to customize it the way you want and really make it your rom.

Apex also has some of the blur and bloat removed but not sure what else because I don't use apex.

Now the leaks are pretty much what your running now but improved little. They don't have any extra options built in to customize it like liberty does.

For all the above roms there are also themes and themed apps you can flash to further customize your rom.

I would suggest you go with one of the leaked gingerbread roms first and kinda mess around with it then you can decide if you want a rom like apex or liberty.

Just let me know any questions you have and which rom you want and ill help you out.

Sent from my DROIDX

OP
galaxy80

galaxy80

Reaction score
Thanks! That's very disappointing to hear that I can't get CM7 for my phone! I hear that it's pretty much the best rom out there. Thanks for the advice! If I root, I can get multiple roms, so I will take your advice and start off with the GB leak, but I will also try Liberty and see which one I like better.

watersharer

Reaction score
Ok, I don't mean to whine, but I feel like I've been forgotten about and left out of updates and apps like Gingerbread and Netflix as a DX owner. The great Droid X is about to be phased out to it's new brother and I'm still waiting, unrooted, for some love. I'm thinking about just taking the plunge and rooting my phone and saying screw Verizon and Motorola... Anyone else feel this way?

I run a bone stock DX at the moment. Because I have been watching netflix all day. That single app is worth not caring about gingerbread. Unless its real gingerbread which is delicious. A half second look at the dx general thread might get you a lunch hour wasted on ultimate spiderman too.

OP
galaxy80

galaxy80

Reaction score
And if I root, I can flash back to froyo if I have to bring my phone to Verizon so they wont know I rooted it?

OP
galaxy80

galaxy80

Reaction score
@watersharer, it won't let me even download the Netflix files on my phone frm the xda site. It tells me download unsuccessful and that the file isn't supported by my phone. Do I have to download it to my computer then transfer the file to my phone to install it?