What is the benifit??

thomas1984

Reaction score
Hey, for give me for asking but what is the benifit of rooting your phone over leaving it the way it comes? Thanks

hgrimberg

Reaction score
The benefit is that you will be able to install apps that are only available if you are rooted like Titanium Backup and you will be able to freeze bloatware among other things.

No is no benefit. It would be stupid and pointless

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

BlackDiamond

Reaction score
You can also overclock the cpu and get even better performance out of the phone..though doing so can also mess it up if your not careful.

You can install custom roms for further customization.

For a great description, read this: [Updated] Rooting Explained + Top 5 Benefits Of Rooting Your Android Phone

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Really? With a locked bootloader you can't do any of that....you need to flash kernals to be able to increase preformance, and you need to flash roms and themes to customize..cant do that with a locked bootloader..But hopefully that changes

But right now the reason people are rooting is being rooted allows you to use Free tethering but other then that, not much right now.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I did it to get all of my app data back from my old phone with TB. I've also frozen a good bit of crapware that moto and vzw were nice enough to cram the phone with!

Last edited:

malicious_a

Reaction score
Really? With a locked bootloader you can't do any of that....you need to flash kernals to be able to increase preformance, and you need to flash roms and themes to customize..cant do that with a locked bootloader..But hopefully that changes

But right now the reason people are rooting is being rooted allows you to use Free tethering but other then that, not much right now.

you're right. I forgot about the locked bootloader. I haven't rooted and don't intend to for awhile.

mach330

Reaction score
i'll only root right now when someone figures out the wifi tether. i don't think that's working yet.

hgrimberg

Reaction score
Why is the native 3G hotspot app not working for you? The phone comes with it on the stock rom. Then it should work, right?

i'll only root right now when someone figures out the wifi tether. i don't think that's working yet.

BlackDiamond

Reaction score
Why is the native 3G hotspot app not working for you? The phone comes with it on the stock rom. Then it should work, right?

It will only work if you have the extra $30 a month hotspot plan.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

Nosdroidamus

Reaction score

It is possible to do these things with a locked bootloader. Read through the forums a little. I'm currently running a custom rom called Cyanogenmod 7, undervolted, and I have several tweaks flashed and my Droid 2, with a locked bootloader, has never run better.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

idefiler6

Reaction score
All of this is incorrect. A locked bootloader means you can't change the kernel, but plenty of locked phones are running CM and overclocked. My droid 2 has a locked bootloader, is running a custom ROM AND is overclocked to 1300 MHz.

Right now there is only one exploit that allows tethering for free but it's very visible to VZW, the apps such as WiFi Tether and Barnacle do not work on this device.

Please do some more research before posting any more misinformation.

Nosdroidamus

Reaction score
All of this is incorrect. A locked bootloader means you can't change the kernel, but plenty of locked phones are running CM and overclocked. My droid 2 has a locked bootloader, is running a custom ROM AND is overclocked to 1300 MHz.

Right now there is only one exploit that allows tethering for free but it's very visible to VZW, the apps such as WiFi Tether and Barnacle do not work on this device.

+1

Sent from my smoking Droid 2 ruining CM7

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X

+2 I'd hug you if it wasn't gay.

idefiler6

Reaction score
+2 I'd hug you if it wasn't gay.

That's the second time I've heard this type of thing this week, difference is I got the other guy paid 30 grand that he was owed.

Glad I could spread some cheer...for what it's really worth.