Droid R2D2 vs. Samsung fascinate?

rivaaaa253

Reaction score
Hi I am a proud owner of a rom'ed and rooted (with new 2.2.1) samsung fascinate but its really getting to me that there's no physical keyboard and if I were to switch phones it would be to the droid R2D2 is there any hardware benifits from this? Is the droid screen better? Roms? OS? Anything that makes an awesome difference to switch to the droid 2?

Any feedback would be nice. Just wondering what I'm getting into

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

Reaction score
The screen is better on the droid 2. It has an 854x480 display vs the fascinates 850x480. You probably won't notice a difference though. And I think the droid 2 has a bigger rom developing community because most of them are ported from the droid x

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
R

rivaaaa253

Reaction score
But I've heard all this stuff about the droid 2 like bootloader lock, so u can't run custom kernels?? And the whole development of voodoo for galaxy phones, what's big for d2 right now?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

Amagine

Reaction score
You wont notice a difference. The development have honestly managed to tiptoe around the bootlosder with so many tools that I honestly scratch my head as to what would be the greatest benefit at this point.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Reaction score
yeah at this point except for a true 100% asop rom, the locked bootloader doesn't do anything since there are work-arounds for everything else

mkjellgren

Reaction score
The screen on the d2 us definitely NOT better than the fascinate...it may have more pixels but lacks the sharpness and richness of the fascinate's by a large margin. Put the two next to each other and the difference is immediately apparent.

The boot loader thing is an issue in terms of kernals but with the d2g clocked to 1.2 ghz I doubt overclocking will be much of an issue and it seems the dev community has made due without. That said, the fascinate has much more potential in terms of custom roms.

But then again, what do I know...? I've only got an og droid running gingerbread that will smoke the pants off of anything out there right now in terms of benchmarks and real world performance...so if the dev community is truly a big deal for you I would say there is nothing that can beat stock android and nothing worse than a locked bootloader...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

holmes6

Reaction score
The keyboard on the d2 is quite nice. Compared to friend's d1 it's a huge improvement.

Why are you so concerned with the keyboard? If it's your top concern check out the Ally maybe? Slower device, but people see to love the keyboard

hellmonkey

Reaction score
I just got an r2d2 and love it. The keyboard is nice. Im still getting used to it, but its layed out like a pc keyboard. My wife has an ally and I hate her keyboard. She has a spearate row for numbers, but the spacebar is between b and n and its vey clunky for my to type on. Since I use the space bar a lot more than numbers, its much better for me with the r2d2. Im still cheesed the htc merge was canned. that keyboard looked orgasmic.

holmes6

Reaction score
I just got an r2d2 and love it. The keyboard is nice. Im still getting used to it, but its layed out like a pc keyboard. My wife has an ally and I hate her keyboard. She has a spearate row for numbers, but the spacebar is between b and n and its vey clunky for my to type on. Since I use the space bar a lot more than numbers, its much better for me with the r2d2. Im still cheesed the htc merge was canned. that keyboard looked orgasmic.

Interesting about the ally keyboard. I guess with these things there's lots of room for opinion, great for me may not work well for you..

My wife just ordered a Fascinate, so I'm going to have that and a d2 to mess with starting tomorrow :iphone: :motdroidhoriz: dancedroid

will try to remember to come back and add to this thread once I have an opinion on the Fascinate

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
The boot loader thing is an issue in terms of kernals but with the d2g clocked to 1.2 ghz I doubt overclocking will be much of an issue and it seems the dev community has made due without.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

+1.... and they CAN go higher than 1.2, mines goes up to 1.35 then freezes.

Id personally go for the d2 simply because of the keyboard.

MrPib

Reaction score
I just switched from a Touch Pro II (running XDAndroid) to an R2D2, and I'm LOVING the new phone. And the TP2 had what's generally considered to be the best smartphone keyboard ever made. The D2 keyboard is good enough, I'd say. Unlike the D1, which might as well not have a keyboard at all -- it's that bad.

The D2 is thin and light, compared to the brick-like TP2.

The Ally is underpowered, and the screen is too small. Pretty good keyboard, though.