Droid 2 Global -vs- Samsung Fascinate

minsung0315

Reaction score
Yay for my first post!
It's a dillema.
I got the LG ally for free a month ago, and I am not content with it. I have a few days left to exchange it for a better one.
I've narrowed my options down to two phones:
1. Samsung Fascinate
2. Motorolla Droid 2 Global

Fascinate has a better screen, a better camera, and the 1.0 Ghz Hummingbird Processor. Easier to root and mess around.
D2G has a physical QWERTY, 2.2 Froyo (over fascinate's 2.1), higher expectations in terms of update support in the future, and the 1.2 Ghz TI OMAP processor.
I'll also mention that the Fascinate has a 4 inch screen, as opposed to the D2G's 3.7.

So what do you think?
No, Droid X is out of the question. My options are these two phones.
Please help me decide!:greendroid:(I'm currently leaning towards the Fascinate)

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Welcome to DroidForums!!
Truthfully, they're both awesome phones so you can't really go wrong either way! Though I would like to point out that rooting one is no harder than the other. A BIG plus that you wouldn't know yet is that signal is also stronger on the Motorola which also has a major impact on battery life! If you live in an area with great coverage, this may not be a deal breaker though.

DroidForums junkie!!

rfisher983

Reaction score
I have the droid2 global now and thinking about trading it in for a Fascinate.

However, I really like the slide out keyboard using vnc (logged into my home computer remotely to type).

[FONT=&quot]I'm a little upset with the performance of the device when scrolling through the different screens and icons. I'm currently running the latest Fission Rom. I had a chance the other day to play around with the T-Mobile Vibrant and that was a lot snappier. [/FONT]

How does the battery life compare from the Fascinate to the D2G?

OP
M

minsung0315

Reaction score
Fascinate

I ended up getting the fascinate.
I'm absolutely loving it without a doubt.
I haven't used the d2g but the battery life on the fascinate is great as long a you don't have the screen on at full brightness.
I tried using vnc and other programs like it, and I must admit the lack of keyboard is a little annoying. It's still completely usable.
I'm happy with my fascinate.

rfisher983

Reaction score
The major problem I can see with using VNC is moving your mouse around to get on a small icon around the task bar. Especially on 3G VNC lags hard core and I end up having to use the arrow keys on the slider in order to get it there. I'm using androidVNC btw.

OP
M

minsung0315

Reaction score
Well, I never figured out how to use androidVNC over 3g. (If you don't mind helping me, please do).
I ended up using other programs for which I had to pay a little bit.
Unlike the vnc program, on which I had to touch whatever I click on (same as normal web browsing, but hard on a small screen), some of the paid apps move the mouse with the movement of my finger (you move the pointer, but you don't necessarily have to touch what you are clicking on. It gets annoying at times, but it is easier to navigate with).

rfisher983

Reaction score
Make sure you enable port forwarding on your router. For instances when I'm at home my IP to connect is 192.168.1.101:5910. When I'm out side of my WAN and connected to 3G my port is My IP address. Lets say: 73.244.1.24:5910. Also try disabling your firewalls temporary to see if thats causing any connections issues.

Also if you could bench mark your phone with the following apps (on android market):

Linkpack
Quadrant Standard
Neocore

Also have you rooted your phone and installed the lag fix on it?

OP
M

minsung0315

Reaction score
Hmm. so I need to configure something with the router?

Anyway, my quadrant score is something over 2300.
Linpack: (I don't know what these mean, but considering some of the top scores are close to 100, this really isn't accurate)
7.707 MFLOPS
10.88 seconds
5.68 norm res
2.22044 E-16 precision.
Neocore: How many times does this thing run the same clip? It's repeating the same thing like ten times.
Yes I did root and lag fix.

rfisher983

Reaction score
should run once and give and FPS score. You'll need to open a port in your router for the vnc to work.

OP
M

minsung0315

Reaction score
so what do you think about my scores?
i think the neocore kind of owned.

and I'm still not following you about adding a port on my router. Could you expand?

rfisher983

Reaction score
Depends on your router. Google search < your routers brand > port forwarding.

Your scores are very good. The GPU is much better on the samsung then my droid 2 global. Here are my results:

Benchmark results for giggles:
Linpack: 16.854
Quadrant: 1632
Neocore: 41.8