Droid R2D2 vs. Samsung fascinate?

rivaaaa253

Reaction score
Hi I am a proud owner of a rom'ed and rooted (with new 2.2.1) samsung fascinate but its really getting to me that there's no physical keyboard and if I were to switch phones it would be to the droid R2D2 is there any hardware benifits from this? Is the droid screen better? Roms? OS? Anything that makes an awesome difference to switch to the droid 2?

Any feedback would be nice. Just wondering what I'm getting into

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's actually exactly the same hardware wise but if you want to Rom it, I think you have to sbf it to turn it in to a Droid 2. At least I think that's what it was. Anyway no there are no hardware benefits.

tappin and a talkin

OP
R

rivaaaa253

Reaction score
So its the same? It wouldn't be a downgrade or anything?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No its the same. Only difference is the firmware to include the star wars stuff.

tappin and a talkin

OP
R

rivaaaa253

Reaction score
Does the d2 have a front facing camera? Because I REALLY want one and its kinda sad that fascinate doesn't have one.. :(

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No current android phone has a front facing camera iirc. The thunderbolt will be the first.

tappin and a talkin

OP
R

rivaaaa253

Reaction score
Is the thunderbolt verizon?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ya. Actually I should qualify, it will be the first android phone on verizon with a front facing camera. Forgot about tmobile and sprint... and maybe att...
Anyway point is yes the thunderbolt will be the first vzw 4g phone. Should be out before the end of the month.

tappin and a talkin

Rafael

Reaction score
Hi I am a proud owner of a rom'ed and rooted (with new 2.2.1) samsung fascinate but its really getting to me that there's no physical keyboard and if I were to switch phones it would be to the droid R2D2 is there any hardware benifits from this? Is the droid screen better? Roms? OS? Anything that makes an awesome difference to switch to the droid 2?

Any feedback would be nice. Just wondering what I'm getting into

The processor and GPU on the fascinate TRUMPS the processor on the Droid 2. Clock speed isn't everything. The screen on the fascinate is also way better than the screen on the droid 2 and finally Motorola locks down their phones making it impossible to use custom roms. Stick with your fascinate.

Jamis0n

Reaction score
When I found the gingerbread keyboard apk, I loved not having the physical keyboard. It amazingly works well, and you don't have to pay for anything if you find it online vs. The one in the market using smarter keyboard.

bluevolume

Reaction score
No its the same. Only difference is the firmware to include the star wars stuff.

tappin and a talkin

I think we are talking about different things here. The quoted post is talking about the Droid 2 vs. the Droid R2D2, which are the same device save some Sta Wars stuff added in.

The Fascinate and the Droid R2D2 are very different machines. The screen on the Fascinate is light years (pun?) ahead of the R2D2, and from playing with both phones I think the GPU is better on the Fascinate.

Check it out for yourself, but yes, there are major differences between these phones.

OP
R

rivaaaa253

Reaction score
Well I love this phone but I would love a keyboard too, any suggestions?