What apps should I invest in?

Jug the Thug

Reaction score
I just got a prepaid credit card for christmas and I was looking into some paid apps. Before I get games what are the best apps to get in the most important catogories. Im only 15 and I have a droid x so I don't need travel or financing apps.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Hulslanderam

Reaction score
I am like you, I just got the droid 2 and am 16. So far it seems like it would be a good idea to get titanium backup if you decide to root.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

OP
J

Jug the Thug

Reaction score
What's titanium backup do?

Hulslanderam

Reaction score
It let's you backup apps and "freeze" ones that you don't want but verizon won't let you uninstall like city id. Like I said, I am new too though, I am just looking for apps too. Hopefully somone else posts.

OP
J

Jug the Thug

Reaction score
What do you mean by "freeze"

Hulslanderam

Reaction score
Not quite sure because I am going to get the app later. I just know that it will make it so that if you don't want an app like city id (the ones verizon includes) that can't be removed it will make them so they don't run.

Reaction score
Apps to get

I have had the OG for about 10 months, and rooted about 9 months ago. Here are some apps with a brief description to see if they're what you want:

APPS:
Act 1 Video Player - a great video player if you want to watch movies or anything, has great quality and features
Kindle - eBook reader, free
CacheMate - ROOTED ONLY allows you to clear all app caches to free up space
Dropbox - Allows you to share files between PC, phone
ROM Manager - ROOTED ONLY allows you to swap ROMS, themes, etc, but PLEASE READ UP ON HOW TO DO THIS as there are lots of nuances and things that could go wrong if you do things out of order or forget to back up
Google Voice - excellent FREE replacement to Verizon's visual voice mail, will put your voicemails in text form and you won't have to listen through 30 voicemails to find your most current.
Titanium Backup - ROOTED ONLY allows you back up apps (again great if you swap ROMs on a weekly basis like I do) also saves app data and will link restored apps back to the market so they can update. PAID VERSION allows your to clear the Dalvik cache, which can free up more precious space on your phone. I do this one every couple of weeks.
Root Explorer - ROOTED ONLY this is a great file manager (like Astro) that allows you to access files on your SD Card, but also allows access to your /system files and such to further modify your phone. Also read up on this as this can cause harm to your phone if you don't know what you're doing. Search the forums for further information.
SetCPU - ROOTED ONLY allows you to manage overclocking of your processors BUT REQUIRES AN OVERCLOCKED KERNEL, again, search the forums for this information as there are a lot of kernels that can do this.
MusicPlayerPro - This is my personal favorite music player, has great widgets, a lock screen widget, is clean, smaller, and has fantastic options for organization if you're like me and don't have a ton of your songs listed under a particular album.
Urbanspoon - a food finder app, great if like me you and your girlfriend can never decide where to eat or live in a place with lots of small family owned restaurants
Terminal Emulator - ROOTED ONLY (for best effect, not sure if its required) Allows you to run a CMD prompt to have further functionality on your phone, need to understand or be able to Google commands
SwiftKey - a great keyboard replacement
QuickBoot - ROOTED ONLY allows you to quickly reboot, or boot into recovery mode to do adjustments to ROM or system
Shazam - Allows you to use your phone to identify that song you're hearing in your car, store, or on tv.
TeslaLED - Uses your camera LED light as a flashlight
Wireless Tether - ROOTED ONLY allows you to use your phone as a mobile hotspot
AudioManager - you can set the volume of ringer, notifications, phone calls, alarms, etc from one place.

GAMES:
Abduction - A jumping platform game
Alchemy Premium - A very unique game where you match basic elements (i.e. water, fire, earth, air) and they form new elements, which then can be combined to make further elements. 360 so far.
Angry Birds - if you don't know/have this game, something is wrong with you.
Fruit Ninja - See above
JetCarStunts - a great time trial game, 3d graphics, installs to SD card, similar to free PC racing/TimeTrial game
MiniSquadron - A plane dogfighting game, fun, simple, but is a large game, even on SD
Need For Speed Shift - Was only $.99 on market! If still that price, is a huge game for the money!
Speedx3d - A 3d tunnel game, tons of fun, great controls
Toss It - Through paper (or an i*hone) into a garbage can
WordUp! - a fun scrabble, word finder game
Any of the retro gaming emulators - SNESOID, GNESOID, etc, allows you to set up your phone to play NES, SNES, Genesis, Gameboy games on your phone. Google ROM policies to avoid bootlegging or piracy. Best on phones with keyboards (to assign controls to it) but will work with virtual buttons on any phone.

TASKILLERS ARE NOT NEEDED, however, I do have one on my phone to help kill apps that go bonkers on me

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
*ScreebL - screen manager that aids in battery life
*FolderOrganizer (everything that Google hasn't bothered to do natively)
*LauncherPro (or the new ADW-EX is supposed to be really good) - launcher replacement that adds a LOT of functionality and customizing
*Titanium Backup (if you plan to root, creates backups of programs and phone data for restoring after ROM installs ect.)
*WatchDog (free program to 'monitor' apps and allow you to kill runaway apps ** this is NOT a 'task manager' and doesn't create the problems they can)
*TouchDown (if you need good Exchange server functionality)
*Beautiful Widgets (great homescreen clocks and weather skins)
*PureCalendar (great calendar widgets)
*SwitchPro (customizable Power widget)
*MetaMorph (if you're going to root, allows easy themeing of ROMs and/or changing of theme elements)

That's the main 'paid' ones that I use regularly.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Droid Forums does not allow discussions about obtaining paid apps for free. That is stealing and we don't condone that. Discussions of this nature will lead to infractions and a possible ban from the Forum.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
******* is illegally re-selling apps.

+1000
OP, spend the small amount(s) for the LEGIT apps and support the developers, these developers spend a lot of time and hard work to make the apps as good as they are acknowledge their work. With the exception of TouchDown most of the apps listed so far are <$5. Just be smart about what you buy and, whenever possible d/l a free/trial first. Also remember you have 24hrs to get a refund if you decide you don't like an app.

palindrome

Reaction score
Don't b so harsh... how many phones hav u bricked and had to pay for in the last two years, I paid my dues time after time, and I just wanted to help em save their xmas card..happy holidays .

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't b so harsh... how many phones hav u bricked and had to pay for in the last two years, I paid my dues time after time, and I just wanted to help em save their xmas card..happy holidays.
I've bricked zero phones going back several years (into WM devices). And regardless you being stupid enough to brick your phone doesn't justify you ripping on the developers. They had nothing to do with you modding your phone(s). If you don't want to pay them what they ask (which is very little for 99% of the apps) than don't use their product. I'm sure you waste more money on sodas or hamburgers or any number of 'frivolous' expenditures every year so stop being cheap...

Edit: Correcting error, see post below..

Oh, and I forgot one app aCar is a automotive mileage and expense tracker that I use religiously. If you're interested in such things things is HIGHLY recommended.

Jasonjohns

Reaction score
So the 15min. Thing is not true, we still have 24hrs for refund correct? Thanks.