Well, this sucks (ics .232 leak install issues)

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
If I go to .905, won't I start having 4G connectivity issues again ?

In theory, yes, because you'll have the .905 radios. Are you on .902 or .905 right now?

What you might do is:

1. Power phone down
2. Remove battery and sim card
3. Replace battery only and power up.
4. Let it power up completely (you'll get a "No sim card" error message) and then power down
5. Remove battery, replace sim card and battery
6. Power up

It should reacquaint your phone with the 4G in your area. Be sure to put the sim card in correctly, otherwise it'll fry the card (this happened to me). If that happens your local Verizon store should be able to replace the sim card at no charge.

bbucks36

Reaction score
if your more into keeping the .902 update there is a way to stop the phone for permission to update to .905...but you have to be rooted and have root explorer

OP
W

WnC

Reaction score
I dunno about .905 right now

It sounds stupid, but this whole ordeal has left me somewhat drained. I'm just happy to be able to read my emails again but yeah, I did lose a bunch of stuff..nothing super-important though. And the 4G's consistent again, which is what I've been wanting all along.

It can't be healthy to be this attached to your smartphone, lol

Last edited:

bamafan39

Reaction score
never heard of people having all those problems on ics it sounds like to me after you installed ics you let google restore your old apps from 905 so all that gingerbread data came with them. your supposed to redownload all your apps and start fresh because gingerbread data doesnt play well with ics.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
People do have problems with the leaks, but it seems to vary depending on the apps. Some have gotten by without a factory reset or horrible battery life. Some have seen the CPU go to 1,200mhz and others haven't.

It's really a case of YMMV.

Last edited:

mrredpants

Reaction score
Having done this many times on my bionic... This is my process

1. Fxz to 902 (there is a 905 Fxz but it has given me problems)
2. Take 905 ota update
3. Install ICS leak 232 via factory recovery.

Personally I then root via motofail razrs edge... Latest safestrap... (via rombot.org) and custom ROM.

But stock 232 is great and with the above steps.... I've never had even a Hiccup. If you're a noob I can write more detailed steps but they are written up in many places.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

OP
W

WnC

Reaction score
Having done this many times on my bionic... This is my process

1. Fxz to 902 (there is a 905 Fxz but it has given me problems)
2. Take 905 ota update
3. Install ICS leak 232 via factory recovery.

Personally I then root via motofail razrs edge... Latest safestrap... (via rombot.org) and custom ROM.

But stock 232 is great and with the above steps.... I've never had even a Hiccup. If you're a noob I can write more detailed steps but they are written up in many places.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Just out of curiosity - why do you say you've had to do this "many" times to your phone ? same phone, I take it ?

I think I'm a bit gun-shy right now to mess w/ my phone again after all the modding fun I've been through in the last yesterday and today :biggrin:

Give me a few days, I may just try it... Then again, if an ICS OTA update is coming sometime within our lifetimes, I'll just have to revert back again, won't I ?

mrredpants

Reaction score
Many times because I'm a crack flasher! I originally was using bootstrap and I was having a lot of headaches and had to FXZ a lot. I also like to start with a clean slate in certain situations. We've also had so many leaks for the Bionic in a relatively short period, at least we did, that I was FXZ'ing a lot. I also have experience with the idea of it with previous moto phones (sbf'ing my old droid x)

Regarding the OTA, I believe you'll have to be on stock 905 to take the OTA.

I've written a detailed "how to" but it's a first draft. I can PM it to you if you'd like.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Regarding the OTA, I believe you'll have to be on stock 905 to take the OTA.

You bet.

All of the leaks are called Blur_Version.5.9.905.XT875.Verizon.en.US.zip. This is because Motorola names them according to where you start, rather than where you're going. At this point Motorola/Verizon assumes you have 5.9.905. When the OTA comes, they will ping your phone, which will respond with your current version. If it isn't what they're expecting they move on. You'll have to be at 5.9.905 in order to get the OTA.

Last edited:
OP
W

WnC

Reaction score
Hmmm, I guess I could always wait till ICS OTA comes and upgrade to .905 then.

I'm mainly concerned about the 4G data connectivity issue with .905 and I'm a little hesitant to try that sim card trick you suggested, don't want to mess it up.

Thanks !

OP
W

WnC

Reaction score
Btw, now that I'm back on .902, my phone is faster than it's been in many months.

JayBusa102709

Reaction score
Really surprises me you say phone is faster considering on gb your only using one core of the cpu on ics your using both.

OP
W

WnC

Reaction score
Really surprises me you say phone is faster considering on gb your only using one core of the cpu on ics your using both.

I probably know less than anyone on these forums, but here's my humble theory anyhow:

I never rooted/did any mods with my Bionic - however, since getting it last September, I imagine I'd accumulated a bunch of garbage into my internal memory - downloading music via MP3 Music Downloader app, etc... performance has decreased substantially over time. Same thing happened with my previous phone, the OG Droid - you should've seen how slow it was at the end.

(edit: one thing worthy of note here is that while previously on GB .905, it was underperforming but still doing its job while the .232 leak install just made it completely unusable where almost every app kept crashing and i couldn't read my emails)

I probably should've wiped the internal memory clean before attempting the ICS .232 install. I didn't then, but I did when I downgraded to .902 thanks to the advice of members who posted on this thread. So, now it's pretty much back to how it was when I first got it - smooth performance, no lag, and 4G isn't dropping.

I imagine if I were to go back now and try the ICS .232 again (after .905 OTA, of course), I wouldn't have any issues. But if it's coming OTA, I'd just have to revert to .905 again, so I dunno. The phone is running fine and dandy now

Last edited:

JayBusa102709

Reaction score
Yeah you could right. but like you said i bet if you reflashed .232 it would be night and day. I'm only in .2233 rooted and blackhole rommed and overclocked at 1.4 ghz and i just laid down an awesome benchmark.

View attachment 54783