246 vs 232

Reaction score
I installed the OTA using the HOB method...I also did a factory wipe, and a data cache wipe as well...

Is it me, or does my phone seem more laggy now than my 232 leak with a years of apps and crap on it. Just seems like apps and emails etc are taking forever to load...

Loading facebook is stupid slow...always has been, but seems more slow...loading an email from the email menu takes at least 1-2 seconds.

I just want my OneNote II....

pistacio

Reaction score
I was about to make the jump from 232 also but, then i saw your post.

Anyone else have this experience also?

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Try doing another factory reset. As for FB is it the official app? Ditch it and go friendcaster. Is it gmail or the email app you're using? You can try using alternative email apps.

TvVoice

Reaction score
moneyfornothing said:
I installed the OTA using the HOB method...I also did a factory wipe, and a data cache wipe as well...

Is it me, or does my phone seem more laggy now than my 232 leak with a years of apps and crap on it. Just seems like apps and emails etc are taking forever to load...

Loading facebook is stupid slow...always has been, but seems more slow...loading an email from the email menu takes at least 1-2 seconds.

I just want my OneNote II....

Pardon my ignorance, but what does HOB mean? You folks use so many abbreviations and acronyms that one needs a glossary to keep up!

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Pardon my ignorance, but what does HOB mean? You folks use so many abbreviations and acronyms that one needs a glossary to keep up!

House of Bionic

pistacio

Reaction score
I decided to move up to 246 from 232, I haven't experienced any of your problems. All I did was a cache wipe, no factory data reset.

I remember reports of the Facebook app causing problems, not sure if those have been fixed...i don't use the app, only in browser...

bigred8380

Reaction score
Can't say I have found any lag with 246...if anything, the phone seems VERY smooth and my battery life has vastly improved!

unbesorgt

Reaction score
Sometimes it takes a couple days for the phone to settle down after an upgrade. Also, that Facebook app is notorious for having issues. I have it disabled and use Plume to access Fb and Twitter. 246 runs great for me.

dautley

Reaction score
OMG, I just can't believe someone actually posted this thread, I don't see anything laggy about .246, maybe your data connection is slow as you mentioned loading facebook and email?
Anyway, If anyone is even debating if they should be on .246 just remember that you will have to be on it to get JB later.

zirkdog

Reaction score
unbesorgt said:
Sometimes it takes a couple days for the phone to settle down after an upgrade. Also, that Facebook app is notorious for having issues. I have it disabled and use Plume to access Fb and Twitter. 246 runs great for me.

+1 This. Updates take some time and a few re-boots to settle in.

pistacio

Reaction score
Been running great after only 24 hours.

Extended battery, no smart actions yet:

e2ynu6a2.jpg

I definitely believe you have a rogue app of some kind...

SigSoldat

Reaction score
Major issues after HOB upgrade

I followed the HOB instructions to a "T" and it installed without any hiccups. However, once it booted, I experienced a series of reboots at seemingly random times. It would be sitting on the charger and I heard it boot. I took a call and when I tried to hang up, it rebooted. I tried to change a setting in a bloatware program and it rebooted. I tried to change my ringtone and it rebooted. I counted over ten reboots in the last 24 hours.

I also had a notification icon up top that said, "We are currently loading the media data. Please wait..." I clicked on it and it opened my storage information and showed I had only 600MB of internal storage. I tried rebooting, but the message always came back. I left it on and sitting on the charger all night and this morning the message was gone, but as soon as I rebooted, it came back again. I have NEVER received a notice under any other OS. I keep all my music on my SD card, but I discovered a copy of all my music existed on internal storage. How did that happen? I deleted it and the message is gone. Problem solved?

Unfortunately, that is only the beginning. This morning I took the phone off the charger and in less than four hours it had drained to 15%. I put a different, fully charged battery in and it drained to 60% in less than 90 minutes. When I looked at my battery usage, it showed the largest user was "Media" with the "Downloads" icon (green arrow icon in apps drawer). The downloads folder is empty. Even now it shows the battery has been on for 2h 28m and Media is responsible for 57% use! I am not watching video, listening to music, etc. The only thing I did during this time was use the calculator for a few minutes and make a two-minute out-going call.

Another interesting oddity: I can't get into my sound settings. I have tried changing my ringtone, notifications, etc. Every time I do, I get a message that the phone is not responding and asking me to wait or stop the program. I've tried rebooting and then changing the setting, but it never works.

I also noticed this sucker is heating up like crazy! :icon_ devil: I usually get no more than ten hours of battery life in a typical day before the battery gets low and starts heating up. I swap it out and everything is fine. Now it is running hot constantly unless I turn it off.

Bottom line, I don't see what the big buzz was about ICS because it doesn't seem to have a lot of extra speed or features. When you consider the problems I'm having with battery life, heat, and odd reboots, it just doesn't make it worth my trouble. I will use HOB tonight to revert to an earlier version until someone figures this out.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, my area is only 3G and it's working fine.

unbesorgt

Reaction score
[.......]

Bottom line, I don't see what the big buzz was about ICS because it doesn't seem to have a lot of extra speed or features. When you consider the problems I'm having with battery life, heat, and odd reboots, it just doesn't make it worth my trouble. I will use HOB tonight to revert to an earlier version until someone figures this out.

The problems you describe are by no means typical and are not being caused by ICS. Reverting to an earlier version is NOT the answer -- earlier ICS builds are off the OTA path, and if you try reverting to GB you will brick your phone. What I would suggest is clearing the cache of your Mediaserver app as well as any other media-related apps, since the problem seems to be related to your media storage. If that doesn't work, back up your apps and perform a factory data reset.

pistacio

Reaction score
^agreed

Seeing how your problem stems from media, did you let your phone scan ALL the media during the update process? Many people experienced long install times due to a large number of media files.

If you used HOB, you could also try the "reinstall " option provided the 246 update zip is still on your external storage.