Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Has anyone bought the little webtop app adapter and if so, what exactly does it do? I ordered one last night because the uninformed vz rep told me that wirelessy transmits your phone to a DLNA device, which after reading some articles, appears to be nothing more than something you have to plug in the HDMI cable to to use the app on your pc or tv. The webtop app is supposed to be a linux based something or other, but I'm not clear what. So anyone who HAS tried it, if they could explain, would appreciate it. I just wanted to wirelessly mirror my phone onto my tv..

Thanks!

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is written about the Atrix's webtop, but from what I understand the Bionic's is the same. Basically, it is a Ubuntu-powered desktop OS that runs on your phone when the adapter is plugged in. The adapter you bought allows you to display the webtop interface on your HDTV, while using the Bionic as a trackpad/keyboard.

Hands-on: Motorola Atrix's Ubuntu-powered WebTop experience

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
This is written about the Atrix's webtop, but from what I understand the Bionic's is the same. Basically, it is a Ubuntu-powered desktop OS that runs on your phone when the adapter is plugged in. The adapter you bought allows you to display the webtop interface on your HDTV, while using the Bionic as a trackpad/keyboard.

Hands-on: Motorola Atrix's Ubuntu-powered WebTop experience

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply, ya lost me at Ubuntu lol I'm not an IT guy in any sense anymore, backin 85, yea, now no. Whats the functionality of the OS? What does it do? Sorry if this sounds all like a boobish question, but it is when it comes to linux and etc for me..

Thanks

Rich

travisn000

Reaction score
DLNA is a wireless protocol for streming media to/from qualified devices.. no webtop is required; however, it DOES NOT provide screen mirroring or webtop type functionality.

People have successfully used the webtop application with just an HDMI cable on the Atrix.. I'm sure it is just a matter of time untill someone does the same for the bionic (..the atrix method may work, but I don't know for sure) ..here is a topic someone else just started regarding this question:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-bionic-hacks/171103-bionic-webtop-bypass.html

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
DLNA is a wireless protocol for streming media to/from qualified devices.. no webtop is required; however, it DOES NOT provide screen mirroring or webtop type functionality.

People have successfully used the webtop application with just an HDMI cable on the Atrix.. I'm sure it is just a matter of time untill someone does the same for the bionic (..the atrix method may work, but I don't know for sure) ..here is a topic someone else just started regarding this question:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-bionic-hacks/171103-bionic-webtop-bypass.html

Yea I'm just trying to wirelessly send video to the hdtv .. when I turn on my d2g it says dlna devices detected would u like to share, but nothing happens on the tv. Must be a setting or something... like when I plug the hdmi in, it auotomatically recognizes it..

travisn000

Reaction score
..maybe you have to start it from your tv? the demo's I've seen with people using a PS3 all have the PS3 as the controlling device (in theory DLNA should allow you to use the phone to control the TV streaming though)

I've also seen some reports that the video format can be an issue.. some people report that .3gp video doesn't work; I'm guessing the media has to be in a format that is recognized by the playing device.

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score
Has anyone bought the little webtop app adapter and if so, what exactly does it do? I ordered one last night because the uninformed vz rep told me that wirelessy transmits your phone to a DLNA device, which after reading some articles, appears to be nothing more than something you have to plug in the HDMI cable to to use the app on your pc or tv. The webtop app is supposed to be a linux based something or other, but I'm not clear what. So anyone who HAS tried it, if they could explain, would appreciate it. I just wanted to wirelessly mirror my phone onto my tv..

Thanks!

The webtop adapter lets you use the webtop, but you have to control everything from the phone.. not sure how that works, but that's what the Moto rep at the VZW store told me.

With the HD Dock, you plug in a keyboard and mouse and control the webtop that way.

unbesorgt

Reaction score
I just wanted to wirelessly mirror my phone onto my tv..

All you need for mirroring is a micro HDMI to HDMI cable. No special adapter needed. You can order the cable for around $5 online (got mine from Amazon) or buy retail for about five times that much.

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
All you need for mirroring is a micro HDMI to HDMI cable. No special adapter needed. You can order the cable for around $5 online (got mine from Amazon) or buy retail for about five times that much.

unbesorgt

Reaction score
Just noticed you said "wirelessly" -- I missed that before replying. Don't think that is possible with current tech.

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Just noticed you said "wirelessly" -- I missed that before replying. Don't think that is possible with current tech.

Thats ok ;) But the d2g comes with media share which allows you to, which I still haven't figured out .. but I appreciate the suggestion none the less!

Rich