DROID Bionic Accessory Lineup Will Include Webtop Adapter for Quick, Inexpensive...

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
It’s pretty well known that the lapdock accessory for the Motorola Atix wasn’t a success due to an insanely high price tag and mostly buggy software. In fact, Motorola CEO Sanjay Jha in a Q2 earnings call, commented on adjustments to be made going forward with webtop docking accessories now that they better understand their customers. The big question remained though, what would their approach be for the DROID Bionic?

We still are not 100% sure what the pricing scheme will be, but we are seeing a new webtop accessory called the Webtop Adapter that will be introduced as a less expensive (“affordable”) option for those that are “curious” about the service. To use it, it’s as simple as plugging the adapter into the Bionic’s HDMI and micro USB port, and then running an HDMI cable from it to a TV or monitor. If you want to charge the device while webtoppin’, there is also a slot for a charger. Not bad, right?
More details after the jump.

Anyone interested in webtop? The adapter seems like a great option for quick conference room hookups, traveling, etc. The HD Station would be perfect for those that sit at a desk all day and want some extra access to their device. The Lapdock…well…we all own laptops, so I’m not sure who would need this, heh.

droid-life.com

BlackWS6LS1

Reaction score
Firefox? Really, they wouldn't get a version of Chrome? A little weird if you ask me...

Rhino94

Reaction score
Ya well that's what we thought about the thunderbolt and look and how that failed...

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Now Im kinda confused, does the bionic have an HDMI port or do u need the adapter? I thought the HDMI port was part of the phone.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ya well that's what we thought about the thunderbolt and look and how that failed...

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

The Thunderbolt isn't in the Bionic's class. These are two completely different phones. One with 2010 technology and another with 2011 technology.

Now Im kinda confused, does the bionic have an HDMI port or do u need the adapter? I thought the HDMI port was part of the phone.

Yes it has an adapter. We've seen it in all the images. The webtop adapter is connected to the Bionic through usb and HDMI ports to supply the webtop effect to the tv via hdmi cable.

devils3023

Reaction score

It has a dedicated hdmi port for connecting your phone to a tv or other monitor. This adapter is to enable the webtop UI/features without the need for the lapdock.

Reaction score
Strange they don't make a docking station that will allow me to hook up a keyboard, mouse and monitor (VGA or DVI)... That is a device I WOULD be interested in. Most places I would make a presentation (if I were ballsy enough to show up with only my phone) have not yet become equipped with HDMI. But they almost always have all the connections I need to hook up my laptop (IE: VGA, USB keyboard & Mouse and a 3.5mm jack for audio)

So instead of the lapdock, why not a device that does the same thing - without the lapdock part... ?

ConqSoft

Reaction score
The docking station has multiple USB for connecting a mouse and keyboard, and you can use HDMI out to most any modern flat panel computer screen. Also, they make small HDMI to VGA adapters for $30 or so.

Reaction score
The docking station has multiple USB for connecting a mouse and keyboard, and you can use HDMI out to most any modern flat panel computer screen. Also, they make small HDMI to VGA adapters for $30 or so.

Oh, so spend more money to adapt a device that should do what I need? Truth be told... I would never have the balls to do a presentation using my phone. Yet...

tommyg562000

Reaction score
Oh, so spend more money to adapt a device that should do what I need? Truth be told... I would never have the balls to do a presentation using my phone. Yet...

So by your logic, all apps should be free?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Reaction score
So by your logic, all apps should be free?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

All apps should be free? Are you feeling alright? That doesn't even make sense. (I am perfectly willing to pay for the device...)
But rather than argue about a fictional device that does not exist I will just end the conversation.

EDIT: OH! I just realized that you didn't read the posts above this one... So, for someone who didn't read the entire thread it would perhaps appear as though I was advocating getting the adapter for free... My first statement was regarding the new "affordable" option and someone replied that I could buy an adapter for $30... This of course would be in addition to the price of the original adapter. Which is why I made the statement - "Oh, so spend more money to adapt a device that should do what I need? Truth be told... I would never have the balls to do a presentation using my phone. Yet..."

The device I was talking about in that statement was the actual "affordable option" adapter... Oh well. I apologize for your confusion due to my lack of repeating myself again.