VZW disabling tethering apps from market

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmydene84

Reaction score
Like I told vzw lets go to.a tiered plan and let me do what I want with my data. If I want to tether all 5gigs of my data then that's my data to do what I want with it. On the flip side if I burn through 5 gigs of my data 5 days with in my billing cycle then I am going to either have to shut my data off on my phone or buy more data.

sent from droidforums app

I like this idea, a kind of "pay as u go" data. I personally only tether maybe once a month for no more that 20 min, never been close to 5g. But that would help everyone else :)

Sent from my Droid

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Like I told vzw lets go to.a tiered plan and let me do what I want with my data. If I want to tether all 5gigs of my data then that's my data to do what I want with it. On the flip side if I burn through 5 gigs of my data 5 days with in my billing cycle then I am going to either have to shut my data off on my phone or buy more data.

But again I'll ask the question, since tether is a service people clearly value...Would you rather have 5gigs for $30 with no tether, or $50 with tether? Or put another way, would you rather get 3gigs with tether for $30 or 5gigs for $30 and no tether?

Truthfully the "data is data" $30 for 3 gigs is probably fine for pretty much everybody, since like 95% of users use less than 2 gigs.

Personally I'd prefer more "smartphone only" data for a given price. A nominal amount of tether would be nice, or even for a $5 add-on.

Be careful what you wish for. All I'm trying to say.

freezyfreaky

Reaction score
I do pay extra for data and I see the problem with taxing the VZW bandwidth with tethering, so I didn't pound hard on a free solution. I'm a professional and use this stuff to make a living so I really don't mind paying for it. I only have occasional use, like when we are on a remote television shoot. I wish we could turn the "subscription" on or off as needed to save some money. One advantage to the Droid X is the ability to remove the micro SD card after a download for transfer to the work platform. Now if they could just make the memory accessible without removing the battery...

You may want to look into getting a separate MiFi or USB tether instead of tethering with your phone because you can suspend the line. Not sure of all the details like how many times you can suspend and for how long but it may be worth it depending on your usage.

gsdreams

Reaction score
Just my thoughts. Whether Verizon moves to tiered data our not the I don't see hotspot feature on phones ever competing financially with Verizon's data only devices. It uphold cut into revenues too much from people with two devices.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Just my thoughts. Whether Verizon moves to tiered data our not the I don't see hotspot feature on phones ever competing financially with Verizon's data only devices. It uphold cut into revenues too much from people with two devices.

Exactly. Too many business users that are relatively price insensitive for VZW to get overly generous.

They have talked about "buckets" of data, but you are 100% correct that people are currently paying $30 for smartphone and $50 for a datacard, at a minimum. They may offer $10/gig for any device, but even such a plan potentially costs them a good bit of dough with many smartphone users consuming less than 1 gig (and presumably many data card users consuming much less than their 5gig allotment).

ypsichick

Reaction score
Western KY and W. Los Angeles 3 miles from the bea
If everyone feel the answer is tiered data then what type of pricing are we looking at.

I wouldn't mind paying $5 per gig of data used if they would allow me to not pay for minutes I never touch.

I agree I have over 500 unused minutes a month a pay for unlimited data, I would appreciate a minuted conversion credit to a tiered data plan if I had to have one.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Natey2

Reaction score
I think they (Carriers) should stop unlimited anything. Everything should be metered and reasonably priced, and they should not distinguish tethering from phone data usage.
And forget cellular for voice calls... everything should be voice-over-IP.

But of course they will never do that. Just like we will never have a flat tax.

So until then, we will continue to watch Netflix movies on our phones over 3G :)

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think they (Carriers) should stop unlimited anything. Everything should be metered and reasonably priced, and they should not distinguish tethering from phone data usage.
And forget cellular for voice calls... everything should be voice-over-IP.

I agree with pretty much all of that. But you can forget it since most people are paying for more than they use - literally, there was a study that a good number of people have voice/text plans more expensive than they need (i.e. a lower tier would work just fine).

And voice over LTE is coming. That's a whole new ballgame. VZW would stand to lose $40-$60 or more per subscriber of voice, so they will have to make that up on data (although theoretically new revenue streams emerge, such as truly competing with home broadband and then indirectly with cable which is over $100 potential new revenue per customer).

People looking for value via lower prices are not seeing the forest through the trees. VZW will offer value to its consumers by bringing additional services (i.e. tie-ins with FIOS, home broadband, VoLTE, etc...)

5-10 years from now people will probably be paying 1 data bill - for phone, internet, cable, radio and who knows what else. And that bill will probably cost $150 or whatever instead of the $200 we pay today.

Completely ridiculous to expect unlimited LTE for $30 - I mean truly unlimited where you can tether and replace home broadband. Most people pay $50 or so for broadband and another $30 for mobile data, so it's a complete fools dream to expect such service for much less than $80 (and I realize today you get something less than that for a total of $80-$110).

droid doctor

Reaction score
So yesterday I installed the wifi tether app for root users from an old backup and I used it for 2 secs just to see if this topic was truthful. Then I tried using the browser and then this Verizon web page came up asking me if I wanna subscribe to their mobile hotspot plan, and after that my internet has been sorta sluggish. Any ideas to how this happened ?

drust

Reaction score
just had a thought isnt virizon double dipping? isnt you making a phone call data? so if you have a voice and data plan technically you have two data plans

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
From my understanding phone calls are not data in the sense of 3g data

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz

gsdreams

Reaction score
From my understanding phone calls are not data in the sense of 3g data

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz

You are correct. Voice services still use voice cdma which would be equivalent to first gen cdma. Basically 56k data if you wanted to use it for that.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

UNC

Reaction score

I like this idea, a kind of "pay as u go" data. I personally only tether maybe once a month for no more that 20 min, never been close to 5g. But that would help everyone else :)

Sent from my Droid

You do realize that with LTE that 20 minutes once a month COULD use nearly 5gb right? I think the test I saw said 32 minutes to use 5gb over LTE. Pay as you go sucks, that's why when I returned my TB I got Verizon to keep unlimited 4g data on my bill, even though my D1 and iPhone don't support it!!!dancedroid

rfrisbey

Reaction score
Maybe it's time someone a lot smarter than me makes an app that uses our phones for the SETI project. I use Wifi tether but rarely exceed 2 gb of data a month. If the users who are currently tethering are a loss to the carriers, or are really causing bandwidth issues then we can really hammer the data network with a smartly written protest app. If all the tethering users started eating the carriers bandwidth up with a completely legal app that chews band width up when the phone is plugged in and not actively being used for something else then generates usage emails back to Verizon, AT&T, Sprint etc. with a complaint about tethering fees for data we are already paying it should create a huge drain on the data network. Since most of have unlimited mobile data an app that dose that on our phones should choke the h*** out of there networks. Any takers on developing an app for that?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's time someone a lot smarter than me makes an app that uses our phones for the SETI project. I use Wifi tether but rarely exceed 2 gb of data a month. If the users who are currently tethering are a loss to the carriers, or are really causing bandwidth issues then we can really hammer the data network with a smartly written protest app. If all the tethering users started eating the carriers bandwidth up with a completely legal app that chews band width up when the phone is plugged in and not actively being used for something else then generates usage emails back to Verizon, AT&T, Sprint etc. with a complaint about tethering fees for data we are already paying it should create a huge drain on the data network. Since most of have unlimited mobile data an app that dose that on our phones should choke the h*** out of there networks. Any takers on developing an app for that?

so let's bog down the network for the millions who have no need for tethering just because we're too cheap to pay for a service? awesome idea...

/s

Status
Not open for further replies.