VZW disabling tethering apps from market

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
app_wireless_tether.png

It was a matter of time before vzw made this move and I sort of applaud them. Though, I find it ridiculous that a carrier can charge me twice for using the same data, because whether a person views a site on a phone or computer, they are using the same data (bigger screen size don't equal more data). I also think many people in our community abused it. There is a difference between tethering every now and then, and racking up outrageous amounts of data through tethering. So kiss this app good-bye, for you will not be able to install it on Verizon phones from the market.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You will also know pdanet is gone as well.

DroidxRage

Reaction score
So you can still use the app, you just can't get it from the market?

Not sure how that's so different than most other non-market apps, except where this one can be used to circumvent a tethering bill. Not like verizon is employing new methods to catch people doing it.

Also, market enabler will allow you to spoof your service provider, so you may still be able to get it from the market that way.

I rarely have ever tethered as a root user, im just saying though the title is a bit misleading is all.

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
How and when are they doing that? Just blocking it from the market if it's being viewed on Verizon's Network?

If you already have it tho I guess they can't do much about it, can they?

Wadman

Reaction score
What I think he is saying is that you can no longer download it from the market. I have it on my phone and tried it and it still works just fine. I'm not one that abuses this at all. I use roughly 1-2 gigs a month when tethering. It's just faster and easier to check/send my emails and maintain my fantasy baseball teams using my computer. Kinda figured this would come about. There are other ways to get the app though. This won't be the end of wireless tethering.......but when they decide to start charging people for having the app......I'm out....

Reaction score
How and when are they doing that? Just blocking it from the market if it's being viewed on Verizon's Network?

Verizon could pressure google to remove it from verizon phones

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You will also know pdanet is gone as well.

Gone meaning out of business? Or just not working on my phone?

No you just can no longer view it on the market with a vzw phone.

So you can still use the app, you just can't get it from the market?

Not sure how that's so different than most other non-market apps, except where this one can be used to circumvent a tethering bill. Not like verizon is employing new methods to catch people doing it.

Also, market enabler will allow you to spoof your service provider, so you may still be able to get it from the market that way.

I rarely have ever tethered as a root user, im just saying though the title is a bit misleading is all.

Not misleading at all, you can not get it on the vzw phone via market. I have market enabler and in order to get the app you have to spoof the market to thinking its another carrier or download the app from google. But you can not install it via att or vzw. And att can not side load apps.

Right if you have the app then you have it. And its not like you can not get it again. Basically you can not just open your market and install wifi tether for root users or pdanet.

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
Understandable. I'm sure someone will make a similar app and name it differently. I think VZW will always have this issue unless Google puts it in the Dev Agreement that they can't write an app that does what these apps do, which I think may be overboard and against the "open-source / freedom" of android.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You can download either of them via their website. It's not a big deal, just a first step in trying to rid of abusers.

Status
Not open for further replies.