[Rumor] Verizon Steps Up Detecting & Stopping Unapproved Tethering with Gingerbread

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Still, if you consider the insane prices we used to pay for minutes and text messages, and then the sudden fall-off of those prices once tcp/ip content on cellphones became exponentially more popular, and first one then another telco stopped charging per-text rates or per-minute useage rates on all plans, you can see that the telcos are as sensitive to their competitors as they are to their users' usage patterns. There was a time when cellular data was not meted out. Eventually, cellular bandwidth restrictions and data surcharges will become a thing of the past and unlimited data will join unlimited talk and text--it's merely a matter of the backbone infrastructure catching up with use/demand and the advent of the next profit center for the telcos (who knows what that will be, and please don't say tablets, not many want to carry a 10" tablet in their pocket, on their back, or cradled in their arm in a leather cozy like some fragile 2-day old infant). The only way to enforce fair data rates/plans is to vote with your feet and dollars.:)

This is all correct. But the capacity making that a reality is a few years or more down the road. So people complaining about pricing are kind of ignoring the current realities. Prices are not going down; we may realize increased value - tethering, multiple devices, even unlimited data to replace your home ISP - but prices will only go up because the cable companies own most of the pipes and they will continue to take their $50 for access to offset people who ditch their ISP.

As for the 10" tablet being too large to carry around, I'm not sure I agree. Yeah, I did once see a guy walking around with his IPad tucked into the back of his jeans, and I thought he looked like a tool. But I believe the IPad is a 9.7" screen, and the specs on all of these are smaller than a legal pad or even a portfolio that business people have carried around for years without issue. If you want something to put in your pocket, get a smartphone.

rynosaur

Reaction score
As for the 10" tablet being too large to carry around, I'm not sure I agree. Yeah, I did once see a guy walking around with his IPad tucked into the back of his jeans, and I thought he looked like a tool. But I believe the IPad is a 9.7" screen, and the specs on all of these are smaller than a legal pad or even a portfolio that business people have carried around for years without issue. If you want something to put in your pocket, get a smartphone.

Let's not forget that the US (at least most parts in it) is one of only a select few countries where you can walk around its cities with a large, valuable object in your hand without it being snatched from you. I, for one, prefer a device I can put in my pocket without it showing--although the DX in a shell is barely concealable. I certainly do not want to die for my smartphone, much less a tablet. I guess it all comes down to taste, though, and I have never been a laptop person, and a tablet is too close to one of those silly widgets.

I'm pretty sure that wimax is going to change the epic and boring struggle between the telcos and the cable providers. I can't see fiber reaching every house and being a reliable solution, therefore bandwidth must still be transmitted, but I seriously doubt the whole cellular model is sustainable. One of these days, data will just be data.:)

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
My reaction to the tethering costs is to dld massive amounts of data via ttorrent which is personally acceptable.

More people should do it, like a mini boycott.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
My reaction to the tethering costs is to dld massive amounts of data via ttorrent which is personally acceptable.

More people should do it, like a mini boycott.

Yeah, just don't go downloading The Hurt Locker :)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Let's not forget that the US (at least most parts in it) is one of only a select few countries where you can walk around its cities with a large, valuable object in your hand without it being snatched from you. I, for one, prefer a device I can put in my pocket without it showing--although the DX in a shell is barely concealable. I certainly do not want to die for my smartphone, much less a tablet. I guess it all comes down to taste, though, and I have never been a laptop person, and a tablet is too close to one of those silly widgets.

I'm pretty sure that wimax is going to change the epic and boring struggle between the telcos and the cable providers. I can't see fiber reaching every house and being a reliable solution, therefore bandwidth must still be transmitted, but I seriously doubt the whole cellular model is sustainable. One of these days, data will just be data.:)

Assume you mean LTE, since even Sprint appears poised to jump-off the WiMax bandwagon.

As for the tablets, there isn't anything much above a 4.5" smartphone screen that will fit in your pocket. Most people, be they student or business people, have a bag they'll carry their tablet in. I've been using laptops for over 10 years - desktops seem so restricting at this point.

I've dumped on tablets more than most here. Still not much more than a toy to me, but I obviously do prefer it for browsing over my smartphone. However, I still do most of my posting and email from my laptop. Maybe if I got a keyboard for my tablet...

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
I wonder if the developer of Wireless Tether can put the safeguards that PDANet employs in order to hide the usage.

jbdavies

Reaction score
Waiting to see how many ppl jump to sprint lol

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I plan on jumping to Sprint soon. Really with tiered data coming Verizon just looks greedy.
Looks? I believe they've been there. They're business people. The point of a business is to make a profit. All they care about, at the end of their fiscal year, is if the end number is green or red, and by how much it has gone up/down.

Now... I personally love Verizon. The coverage is great. Yes, there are some quirks and drawbacks here and there, but you'll get that with any wireless provider. I'm a firm believer on "you get what you pay for."

That's me though. :)

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Waiting to see how many ppl jump to sprint lol

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I plan on jumping to Sprint soon. Really with tiered data coming Verizon just looks greedy.

hey more power to you if you do it, my comment was just to the ppl who idly threaten to leave verizon every time vzw does something to protect their profits and their company. those people go nowhere and continue to pay their bill every month like good customers haha. if you leave, believe me you will be part of a minuscule minority. a lot of people here just like to talk a lot.

famac!

Reaction score
Yeah i got that damn Verizon page earlier today when i was trying to use wireless tether. The stupid thing will not go away even after you stop tethering. The only way to stop it is to power down your phone and then turn it on again.

sb1831

Reaction score
Good for them. Hopefully they're trying to get an actual average of usage from the cunsumers so that they can set the tiered levels at a reasonable price. I never use over 2Gb a month so I could care less.

xan

Reaction score
those of you that got the VRZ tether fee page popup, how much data on average do you use each month?

thx.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Good for them. Hopefully they're trying to get an actual average of usage from the cunsumers so that they can set the tiered levels at a reasonable price. I never use over 2Gb a month so I could care less.

What about me, the guy who never tethers unless I need to print something? Its easy to use over 5 gigs, especially with Netflix or downloading music.

sent from my ZombieStomped X