Verizon Plans to Stop Unsanctioned Tethering that Uses Unofficial Apps

Tuktanuk

Reaction score
Ok, I am not sure what this is> please expalin
What is unsanctioned tethering? can someone explain that?

Would be best understood if you read the posts in the Forum.....

The short answer is: Verizon is looking to nix people "illegally" Tethering the phone to connect to the net. This means that Verizon wants to double charge people... 1 time for the phone data package and another for Tethering ability.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Come on Tuk, at least explain it from a non-biased point of view to someone who doesn't understand the debate:

I'm not sure how much of it you don't understand, darbs2U, but the short of it is that smart phones allow you to use the data connection on the phone to transfer that information to other devices by either a USB connection, Bluetooth connection, or by the phone rebroadcasting it's own WIFI signal and anything around it (laptops, tablets, other phones) can use that signal to get online. There have been apps developed that allow you to due this with your current data connection for no extra charge; however, this is explicitly against the terms of services from Verizon as they require you to subscribe to a monthly "service" to be able to legally share the data on the phone to other devices and they are suposedly coming after people who are doing this without paying the monthly fee.

The ongoing debate is "If I pay X dollars a month for unlimited data, why does it matter where that data goes?"

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
CRAP, forgot to spell check the entire post.... ignore all of the mistakes!

CD95YJ

Reaction score
In very simple terms the tethering issue is best compaired to an all you can eat buffet.

Sure your paying your 29.99 for all you can eat (unlimited data) but your not allowed to share that plate (data streaming to your phone) with others (tether to any other phone, laptop, or tablet).

Whether or not you, the consumer, feel tethering is stealing because your using data you ARE paying for is beside the point. The point is that tethering is clearly defined by vzw as a paid service and not allowed unless you are paying extra to tether. What it boils down to is that legally, if you are caught tethering vzw holds all the cards if they decide to take action against you. They have every right to canceled your phone service, charge you for every KB of data used to tether at the current overage rate, or even take you to court and possibly file theft charges because tethering is a paid service.

So in the end even though you've paid for your buffet, you and only you are the one who can eat.

My advise if you tether, do so with caution because you have no legal defense if caught.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

darbs2U

Reaction score
Thank you , Trusstopher . That is a better understanding.

I must say, any campnay that offers these phones with data paackage, and the smart phones that our getting to be high tech, They as company;s should of thsought baout that extra charge upfront. Not after the fact.

for example, they sell a smart phone, that requires a data app. Along with the selling approach you can hook up to your computer, you can down load and tranfer information.. ect.. That's company up front not telling the full story..
I see that many times with verizion, ( But still loayl tol them) plus I hear that about other cel company's as well.. Grant, I have not personelly download anything from my phone to the computer, nor the other way around. I know that my husabnd just gt a droid three, that offers a print option on his phone. Why have a smart phone, if, cell companys wantto cahrge for everthing you do on the phone. Especialy, since the phones come with these applications. And you pay alot for unlimited data that Verizion doesn;t have anymore. Thank god I am grandfathered in. But my husband is not. I jsut convienced him in getting one. So, I pay an amont for him to have his. And most of the people downloading infromation from phone to computer, are majortiy people that travel for work. That is waht I been hearing. I love my smart phone, bit I do not think they should charge more, becasue, they see more people using the tools that they can on there phone. keep in mind internet on home computer on phone our the same. the only differance is, you can drag you desk top every where you go. But you smart phone you can ..

jseah

Reaction score
In very simple terms the tethering issue is best compaired to an all you can eat buffet.

Sure your paying your 29.99 for all you can eat (unlimited data) but your not allowed to share that plate (data streaming to your phone) with others (tether to any other phone, laptop, or tablet).

Whether or not you, the consumer, feel tethering is stealing because your using data you ARE paying for is beside the point. The point is that tethering is clearly defined by vzw as a paid service and not allowed unless you are paying extra to tether. What it boils down to is that legally, if you are caught tethering vzw holds all the cards if they decide to take action against you. They have every right to canceled your phone service, charge you for every KB of data used to tether at the current overage rate, or even take you to court and possibly file theft charges because tethering is a paid service.

So in the end even though you've paid for your buffet, you and only you are the one who can eat.

My advise if you tether, do so with caution because you have no legal defense if caught.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Or another way you can put it is you buy a copy of Microsoft Windows or Microsoft Office. That software is for your use on one computer. You cannot install it on your friend's computer to use as well. Or you buy a DVD movie. You can watch the movie yourself, lend it to your friend, or watch it together. You cannot copy the movie onto a second DVD and give that copy to your friend.

jseah

Reaction score
Thank you , Trusstopher . That is a better understanding.

I must say, any campnay that offers these phones with data paackage, and the smart phones that our getting to be high tech, They as company;s should of thsought baout that extra charge upfront. Not after the fact.

for example, they sell a smart phone, that requires a data app. Along with the selling approach you can hook up to your computer, you can down load and tranfer information.. ect.. That's company up front not telling the full story..
I see that many times with verizion, ( But still loayl tol them) plus I hear that about other cel company's as well.. Grant, I have not personelly download anything from my phone to the computer, nor the other way around. I know that my husabnd just gt a droid three, that offers a print option on his phone. Why have a smart phone, if, cell companys wantto cahrge for everthing you do on the phone. Especialy, since the phones come with these applications. And you pay alot for unlimited data that Verizion doesn;t have anymore. Thank god I am grandfathered in. But my husband is not. I jsut convienced him in getting one. So, I pay an amont for him to have his. And most of the people downloading infromation from phone to computer, are majortiy people that travel for work. That is waht I been hearing. I love my smart phone, bit I do not think they should charge more, becasue, they see more people using the tools that they can on there phone. keep in mind internet on home computer on phone our the same. the only differance is, you can drag you desk top every where you go. But you smart phone you can ..

Tethering has been spelled out for years as an extra paid service and prohibited otherwise. The companies simply have not really needed to crack down until the last few years when the popularity of smartphones and the consumption of data exploded.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
yeah tethering has been around since the days of the old blackberries, and the verbiage has been in the TOS since then too. it's not a new thing at all...nor is finding workarounds for it. verizon just hasnt cared (and really, do they even care now? no one has ever been caught). but as mentioned several times before, it's not a "is it fair or not?" issue. it's in black and white in the contract that you're not supposed to do it. as mentioned, if you get caught, you really have no legal ground to stand on. luckily for everyone who does it, verizon doesn't seem to be actively pursuing those who continue to do it.

jseah

Reaction score
yeah tethering has been around since the days of the old blackberries, and the verbiage has been in the TOS since then too. it's not a new thing at all...nor is finding workarounds for it. verizon just hasnt cared (and really, do they even care now? no one has ever been caught). but as mentioned several times before, it's not a "is it fair or not?" issue. it's in black and white in the contract that you're not supposed to do it. as mentioned, if you get caught, you really have no legal ground to stand on. luckily for everyone who does it, verizon doesn't seem to be actively pursuing those who continue to do it.

The only carrier that I am aware of that is actively doing something about it is AT&T, and only with the iPhones. They have been sending text messages out to people tethering on iPhone without a tethering package that if AT&T continues to detect unauthorized tethering, then they will be switched to the $45 tiered 2GB data plus 2GB tethering plan and lose their grandfathered unlimited data plans.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Really, for $30 more you get unlimited tethering....so for $60 you get a home ISP AND mobile data, which is actually a pretty good deal. Comparable services would normally run $70-$80.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
If they tried that to me I'd leave. They can have a debt collection contact me and I'll tell to piss off. Move to another provider. They will never get the termination money

Sent from my BURNTH3ORYX using DroidForums

jseah

Reaction score
Really, for $30 more you get unlimited tethering....so for $60 you get a home ISP AND mobile data, which is actually a pretty good deal. Comparable services would normally run $70-$80.

Sometimes it works out even cheaper. I get 20% off data features, plus I also have the Talk Text and Data $20 discount, so it costs me $34 a month ($29.99 for unlimited data less $20 discount plus $30 for unlimited tethering less $6 data discount). Haven't replaced my home cable internet yet though since I still only get 3G at home (get 4G at work) and I have 5 users at home using the computer (using tethering as home internet would be useless unless I was actually at home).

Anathema

Reaction score
I will never support this kind of monopolization of data transfer and information.

Wonmotyme

Reaction score
"If they tried that to me I'd leave. They can have a debt collection contact me and I'll tell to piss off. Move to another provider. They will never get the termination money"

I love these responses! You do realize debt collection is only the beginning stage. Breach of contract can turn into a court case and they will get their money by court order VIA wage garnishments (oh even reimbursement for legal fees and court cost). So for whomever, go ahead break your contract, get tough and then you will have not only the provider after you but annoying debt collectors and good Ole Uncle Sammy!

Sent from my BURNTH3ORYX using DroidForums[/QUOTE]

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums