ATT changes tethering OK

y0manda

Reaction score
I wonder if at&t is doing this because iphone users can now stream netflix because of the ipad app ported to iphone

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I wonder if at&t is doing this because iphone users can now stream netflix because of the ipad app ported to iphone

I wonder how much of an effect Skype over 3G has on this too. AT&T recently allowed the Skype app to make calls over 3G. So you can buy a $30/year Skype subscription and make unlimited calls to anyone in the USA with your Skype app on your iPhone.

Since I do a lot of calling (and I have a Skype subscription) - this sounds very attractive to me. But only a few days later AT&T showed us the end of unlimited data.

snappingfish

Reaction score
LIKE NOBODY saw THIS coming!!!

The era of unlimited wireless data, which fed the growing lust for the iPhone and other smart devices, is coming to an end.

AT&T announced Wednesday that its $30 unlimited monthly data plan will no longer be available for new smart phone accounts starting Monday, the day Apple is expected to unveil its next generation iPhone.
Most industry analysts believe AT&T's decision presages a wave of similar actions by competitors Verizon Wireless, Sprint and T-Mobile, all of whom declined to comment.

That was in this morning's online edition of the S.F. CHRONICLE....

(pssssst-hey kid...the first one is free.......)

Just saw that this is all over the forums. Sorry-I just joined the wakened. I thought it was NEW news! lol

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

I wonder how much of an effect Skype over 3G has on this too. AT&T recently allowed the Skype app to make calls over 3G. So you can buy a $30/year Skype subscription and make unlimited calls to anyone in the USA with your Skype app on your iPhone.

Since I do a lot of calling (and I have a Skype subscription) - this sounds very attractive to me. But only a few days later AT&T showed us the end of unlimited data.

All carriers are looking at massive declines in their voice network use as VOIP takes over. And that also means a corresponding rise in the use of their data networks. VZW ceo noted a few days ago that he expects most voice traffic to be over VOIP by 2012.

All in all, the combination of (a) forthcoming 4G networks; (b) devices that stream multimedia content as a primary function; and (c) shift of voice traffic to data networks means that users will be charged for what they eat.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Re: LIKE NOBODY saw THIS coming!!!

This needs merged with the ongoing thread already about this.
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

madspeed

Reaction score

Verizon has FREE Skype to skype calls

Skype Mobile Phone | Skype Cell Phone | Skype Calling

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is their anyway or anywhere on the phone to check how much data you used?

U can also dial #646 and listen for the prompts. I think data usage is option 4. But the website lets u also see it in MB, which is easier to understand.

sarie

Reaction score
Anyone reading this thread on AT&T with a Milestone?

I've got a Milestone on AT&T and I'm under my parents' family plan. I'm considering signing up for unlimited data before June 7th.

Fortunately for me, the last phone I bought contracted through AT&T was a Motorola V400, so I should technically qualify for the $10/month unlimited data plan instead of the $30/month smart phone plan as long as I stay under the radar. My mom has had an unlocked Nokia smart phone on AT&T for the past couple of years and AT&T has only been charging her $10/month for unlimited data...

Does this sound like a good idea or am I just fooling myself thinking I can lock in to an unlimited data plan for a super cheap price?

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I know this is crazy but its getting late! What if the big V didn't follow, if they left things as is billions of iphone users would be heading to the Android based phones.

Why would all these Iphone users move to Android if 98% of them use less than 2GB per month. All these people would save $5 per month on the new plan.

those numbers are so fabricated.... i dont know a single iphone user that uses less then 2 gigs a month.

even my girlfriends mother has one and she barely knows how to use it and is close to 2 gigs.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why would all these Iphone users move to Android if 98% of them use less than 2GB per month. All these people would save $5 per month on the new plan.

those numbers are so fabricated.... i dont know a single iphone user that uses less then 2 gigs a month.

even my girlfriends mother has one and she barely knows how to use it and is close to 2 gigs.

I almost never use more than 2 gigs per month. My phone is usually on my wifi network.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
The 2 iphone guys I know use about 300 - 400 mb per month. I use about 100-200 MB, since I am on WIFI most of the time. I tend to believe their percentages.

y0manda

Reaction score
The 2 iphone guys I know use about 300 - 400 mb per month. I use about 100-200 MB, since I am on WIFI most of the time. I tend to believe their percentages.

you use 300kb - 600kb a Day? why do you even have a smart phone with data? One html index is usually that already, God forbid if you listen to a whole song from Pandora LOL

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

you use 300kb - 600kb a Day? why do you even have a smart phone with data? One html index is usually that already, God forbid if you listen to a whole song from Pandora LOL

Uh, you don't seem to understand that if one is on WiFi the download volume is zero.