Andriod 2.2 - Native tethering, WiFi Hotspot

jtallen123

Reaction score
DailyTech - Android 2.2 to Get Native Tethering, Wi-Fi Hotspot Capabilities

Hopefully this isn't a duplicate post, I didn't see anything yet.

Things just keep getting better and better for Google's Android operating system. We found out earlier this week that Android surpassed Apple for second place in smartphone operating systems in the U.S. market.
Today, we learn courtesy of TechCrunch that the next OS update, Android 2.2 (Froyo), will support native tethering and Wi-Fi hotspot capabilities. What is unclear, however, is how these features will be implemented with different device carriers.
For example, Apple's iPhone 3G and 3GS support native USB and Bluetooth tethering. However, AT&T disables these features in the U.S. due to the fragility of its 3G network. Tethering can, however, be re-enabled on the iPhone via jailbreaking and performing a few hacks, or by installing an "unauthorized" application like MyWi.
It seems unlikely that most carriers would simply give away the ability to tether freely with their smartphones -- Verizon may be the exception with the Palm Pre and Pixi+ because the carrier is basically giving away the smartphones due to a stockpile of inventory.
In addition, Sprint is charging $29.99 for Wi-Fi hotspot capabilities (provides sharing for up to 8 devices) on its upcoming HTC EVO 4G Android 2.1 smartphone.
While it would be amazing if Android carriers would break the shackles and allow free tethering and Wi-Fi hotspots with their "unlimited" data plans -- in the same way they allow Google Voice -- we're not holding out breath either.
In addition to the tethering options, Android 2.2 is supposed to bring some welcome speed improvements as well. Android 2.2 is reportedly up to 450 percent faster than Android 2.1 in some operations thanks to a new and improved just-in-time (JIT) compiler.

I wonder how Verizon and company will react, will the allow it?

iPirate

Reaction score
Awesome. Even if they ask Motorola to remove it, it should be easy to install after the app is taken from another phone or even the SDK.

With this I have no reason to root, this is the only thing I'm "looking" for.

I can see the future "Droid Does" threads.... "Friend's iphone wouldn't connect to 3g so I let them connect through my wifi tethering... Droid does"dancedroid

Last edited:

Darkseider

Reaction score
Wireless and wired tether, hotspot, Apps2SD, a working and stable JIT compiler! Only thing left is the quantum field generator so we can time shift and that's about it.

Tegamal

Reaction score
I just read this on Engadget.

Verizon is not going to be happy, that's all I can say.

OP
J

jtallen123

Reaction score
Yeah it will be really interesting to see if there is any kicking and screaming from Verizon or if they possibly could embrace this.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Verizon has already added a $15/month tethering plan ($10/month sale for the next 3 months) to the Droid Incredible. I'm not sure what is preventing them from doing the same for the Droid. Boooo @ the 5GB limit but I've never come close to using 1GB tethering anyway... lol.

b-jammin21

Reaction score
Awesome. Even if they ask Motorola to remove it, it should be easy to install after the app is taken from another phone or even the SDK.

I can see the future "Droid Does" threads.... "Friend's iphone wouldn't connect to 3g so I let them connect through my wifi tethering... Droid does"dancedroid

I'm with you here. I've recently been considering rooting my Droid, but this new update sounds like it will make it unnecessary. Tethering and 450% faster? I'm in.

apastuszak

Reaction score
I Agree....

It will be available for a fee. Adding uncontrolled tethering to the OS would piss off ALL carriers. I'm sure it'l be in there the same way it's in the iPhone, waiting for the carrier to turn it on. (As far as I know, AT&T is the only iPhone carrier worldwide that hasn't enabled tethering on the iPhone.)

Verizon will love this. They can get another $15.00 a month out of you and all they have to do is some backend work and push 2.2 to you? Why wouldn't they do it.

So, how long until we get 2.2? I would think the Droid will get it long before the Incredible will, since they have to port SenseUI over to 2.2 now.

Andy

Verizon has already added a $15/month tethering plan ($10/month sale for the next 3 months) to the Droid Incredible. I'm not sure what is preventing them from doing the same for the Droid. Boooo @ the 5GB limit but I've never come close to using 1GB tethering anyway... lol.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
There is no way Verizon will support this without making money off of it, it's too much drag on the system to do it for free. I'll just stick to free tethering via PDAnet, thanks. :)

Diordna

Reaction score

I'm with you here. I've recently been considering rooting my Droid, but this new update sounds like it will make it unnecessary. Tethering and 450% faster? I'm in.

But rooting is a fast and simple process, then installing Wifi tether from the market and you have your tethering.

It's the installation of custom ROMs and themes, just flashing stuff really, that takes more time. But simply rooting and wifi tethering now is a breeze. And to make it faster, SetCPU from the market can do that for you too.

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Agreed, I didn't root my droid for 6 months -- when I did... I wondered why I didn't since day 1. It literally takes like 30 minutes (though reading took much longer). Now I enjoy 800Mhz, wifi tethering, and a really really sweet customized phone. Bugless Beast v1.0 - definitely recommend.

I have a feeling it will be awhile before we see 2.2 if 2.1 is any indication. I'm not waiting.

billyk

Reaction score
Is 2.2 still *tentatively* scheduled for the June time frame?