Very strange Contacts issue... anyone have any ideas?

csimo

Reaction score
Droid 1 phone, and I did something and it wouldn't boot. I followed the instructions to unbrick the phone so I wiped it clean and loaded 2.01 then back to 2.1. Did a factory reset a few times.

So I lost all my contacts and apps. Of course I didn't have a backup of all my contacts and really need some of them back. They're still in the phone somewhere.

When I open Contacts or in Phone / Contacts all that are there are the ones I put back in that I could remember. The ones I really need I can't remember (of course) but when I use Voice Dialer and say one of the old contacts it comes up and dials correctly.

For example... I don't have Brad Smith in my Contacts. I lost his number when I wiped the phone. If I go to Voice Dialer and say "call Brad Smith" his number comes up and I can dial it. I can then add him back into my contacts and everythings good.

The problem is that I can't remember all the contacts I am missing. I know this sounds strange, but somehow Voice Dialer is pulling up my old lost contacts from somewhere and I need to find out where so I can restore them. Voice Dialer pulls up my old contacts that are not in my current contacts list. How?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
-Joe

JCo352

Reaction score
Have you went on your gmail to see if they're there?

cromo8

Reaction score
If you wiped the phone and your contacts were saved on the phon e they are now gone, if they're saved onto your gmail account then resync your gmail on your phone

OP
C

csimo

Reaction score
I never used my gmail account before and none of the contacts were synced with gmail. I'm using gmail to sync now, and none of the old ones that I need are in there.

They have to be on the phone somewhere, but I have no idea where.

I just did a test and pulled up a few more via Voice Dialer that are not in my Contacts or gmail account.

-Joe

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Menu>settings>accounts and sync make sure background data is on.
tap on your google accout there, uncheck and recheck sync contacts

OP
C

csimo

Reaction score
Just tried that... no difference.

All the contacts I've added back in since the data wipe are in both my phone Contacts and gmail account.

So for example if I say in Voice Dialer "call Brad Smith" it pulls up his number and I could call him, but Brad Smith is not in my Contacts or gmail contacts list.

Yes, I can add Brad Smith into my Contacts or via gmail, but there are about 30 others that I can't remember. If I could get Voice Dialer to pull up a complete list it would work, but if I say "open contacts" it just opens the new Contacts list. Only when I say a specific old contact does it tell me what the number is. If I could remember them all it would be great, but I can't.

-Joe

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Just tried that... no difference.

All the contacts I've added back in since the data wipe are in both my phone Contacts and gmail account.

So for example if I say in Voice Dialer "call Brad Smith" it pulls up his number and I could call him, but Brad Smith is not in my Contacts or gmail contacts list.

Yes, I can add Brad Smith into my Contacts or via gmail, but there are about 30 others that I can't remember. If I could get Voice Dialer to pull up a complete list it would work, but if I say "open contacts" it just opens the new Contacts list. Only when I say a specific old contact does it tell me what the number is. If I could remember them all it would be great, but I can't.

-Joe

That's really strange. If your contacts were in your phone before you wiped, as soon as you signed back into your google account they should have all synced back to the phone.

bje1982

Reaction score
contatcts/menu/display options/ your gmail/select all boxes
your welcome :greendroid:

streetrod

Reaction score
Try to open contacts > display options > click google account > check the boxes.

Seen It work then - hope Im not intruding.

OP
C

csimo

Reaction score
I guess I should explain. Before I wiped everything out I never synced with gmail before. I don't use my gmail account for anything, but had to create one when I got the phone. I always had background data turned off.

So before yesterday when I started recreating my Contacts on gmail (because it's easier than typing them all into the phone and I realize I needed a backup) there weren't any contacts in my gmail account.

A problem I've always had with the phone is that the Contacts list and the Phone / Contacts list were two separate lists. Now they're both the same (without the old contacts).

So I suspect there's a copy of my old contacts somewhere on the phone. I've looked around via the data cable and can't find anything.

I appreciate all the suggestions, but so far none have worked. I just hope that the Voice Dialer continues to pick up the old contacts until I can remember them all. Some of them I have zero chance of getting back any other way.

Thanks,
-Joe

bje1982

Reaction score
I guess I should explain. Before I wiped everything out I never synced with gmail before. I don't use my gmail account for anything, but had to create one when I got the phone. I always had background data turned off.

So before yesterday when I started recreating my Contacts on gmail (because it's easier than typing them all into the phone and I realize I needed a backup) there weren't any contacts in my gmail account.

A problem I've always had with the phone is that the Contacts list and the Phone / Contacts list were two separate lists. Now they're both the same (without the old contacts).

So I suspect there's a copy of my old contacts somewhere on the phone. I've looked around via the data cable and can't find anything.

I appreciate all the suggestions, but so far none have worked. I just hope that the Voice Dialer continues to pick up the old contacts until I can remember them all. Some of them I have zero chance of getting back any other way.

Thanks,
-Joe

I think your SOL

OP
C

csimo

Reaction score
I think your SOL

Gonna have to agree.....

Ya I used tapatalk ....

Yep if you didn't have google back them up before you wiped I hope you have a good memory

Good memory? Not. lol

I just wish I could figure out how Voice Dialer is picking up my old contacts that are not in my phone Contacts or gmail.

All of my old contacts are still being pulled up by Voice Dialer so it must have a separate list it uses somewhere. Hopefully they'll stay there until I can remember all of them.

Thanks,
-Joe