New Same Name Facebook Contact Issue

cflow

Reaction score
so the situation is i have 2 friends on facebook with the exact same name i.e. Jane Smith. but i only have one of them in my phone/gmail contacts, however, facebook will, without fail, sync both facebook profiles to 1 contact. even when i add the contact in my phone with the person's specific phone number and email address, facebook STILL syncs the other Jane Smith's information to the contact. any ideas?

OP
C

cflow

Reaction score
i've actually already tried that. facebook still syncs both contacts into the new contact. i mean i love facebook sync, but this is driving me nuts.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I got nothing else! I don't use Facebook!
You're not alone though, I know the Facebook sync caused issues with other people having contacts merge as well

OP
C

cflow

Reaction score
=[[ thanks for the help though! just shouldn't have ever turned it on to begin with. but damn do i love how it syncs all the pictures to my contacts.... lol =[

Vitticeps

Reaction score
Dont prevent it, just undo it.

After it syncs them, open the 1 contact and go to menu > separate. Now you will have 3 contacts, 1 gmail and 2 facebook. You can then manually join the 2 that belong together by opening one of them and menu> join>select correct contact.

20 seconds later you have what you wanted.

OP
C

cflow

Reaction score
that seems like the most helpful method which i'll try when i get a chance... but i tried deleting the contact altogether and adding it back and now it won't sync with EITHER facebook contacts. i even went into the facebook app and tried to manually sync and it won't let me do that either. ughhhh

OP
C

cflow

Reaction score
oh my god it finally worked. vitticeps you're a life saver! it was driving me absolutely insane.

kileyjones

Reaction score
This may have already been addressed.. Whenever I link my phone contacts to their facebook profiles it changes their original name (or the name i'm used to having them under) Anybody know how to change their contact name back to the original without having to unlink them?
Droid X btw

Vitticeps

Reaction score
I don't think you can. It will use whatever their facebook profile name is if they are linked. I have that problem too with a few contacts. Like Becka gets changed to Rebecca even though she ONLY goes by Becka or my brother who goes by his middle name but has his full name on facebook. Never figured out a way to have them linked and still control the name.