Strange Facebook Contact Sync Issue

dan

Reaction score
I have 2 Droids (one for my wife and one for myself).
I set up both phones identically (I think).

The issue I am seeing is that on my wife's phone she is getting all facebook info synced to her existing contacts (additional phone numbers, birthdays etc).

I am only getting the picture updated in my contacts.

For example:
We both have a contact in gmail contacts "John Smith" (not his real name) and we are both friends with John Smith on facebook.

In my contacts on the droid I am seeing his facebook picture correctly which would indicate to me that it was able to sync. However when I go to my gmail contacts I see only the information I provided. When I go to my wife's gmail contacts I see that her gmail contact was updated with additional phone numbers for John Smith and his birthday is also now populated.

Does anyone know why this might happen? I've looked at every setting I could find and they are identical on both phones. I have to be missing something!

Any help would be appreciated.

rutger1413

Reaction score
Make sure your syncing options are set correctly in both your contacts and facebook. Also i have issues with friends syncing in facebook in general. I have friends online, but it takes a day or two for them to get synced on the phone. This is caused by the app caching your info.

OP
D

dan

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
My phone is the one not syncing correctly so I am able to check my options but not hers right now.

If I go open the facebook app / Menu / Setting / Other Settings / Sync Options:
I have "Sync with existing contacts" selected

If I go to Contacts / Menu / Accounts: "Sync is on" for both facebook and gmail

Is there some other setting I should check?

benhebert

Reaction score
It's probably just an issue in facebook. Look at your sync contacts.

OP
D

dan

Reaction score
It's probably just an issue in facebook. Look at your sync contacts.

Can you explain how to look at my "sync contacts". I am looking in my contacts and see the person with his facebook picture / status. His birthdate however is not being synced with my google (gmail) contacts as it does with my wife's.

otaku

Reaction score
You answered your own question. Your wife has more information for John Smith in her Contacts record in Gmail than you do in your Gmail account. This has nothing to do with Facebook. Disable Facebook sync on both your phones and I will bet you will see she still has more info, because she stored more info for John Smith in her Gmail account than you have.

OP
D

dan

Reaction score
You answered your own question. Your wife has more information for John Smith in her Contacts record in Gmail than you do in your Gmail account. This has nothing to do with Facebook. Disable Facebook sync on both your phones and I will bet you will see she still has more info, because she stored more info for John Smith in her Gmail account than you have.

Good thought, but I know for a fact that is not the case. The extra information in her gmail contacts came from facebook via the droid. I know this because her contacts were created based on a export from my own which means this contact was identical when we started. In addition she has never even logged onto her gmail account to modify this person because I just set her up with gmail when we got the phone. She has not used it yet.

It is not only this contact either. Other contacts are showing the same behavior.