Verizon unlimited data question

shadowsjc

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been on a Verizon family plan for a number of years now, and since it has unlimited data I don't want to switch away. One of my family members on the plan has never had data of any kind (she has a really old flip phone). She is thinking of getting a new smartphone soon and adding data to her line (understanding that she would have to pay full price for the phone, and not the VZW subsidized price).

Will adding data to her line affect my unlimited data in any way? What options will she have for data? (I'm guessing they won't give her unlimited, so is 2 GB the cheapest option?)

Thanks!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
no it should not, as the data plan is on your line, not the total family plan. Her options will be any of the tiered plans with 2gb being the cheapest.

Likwid_E

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4
no it should not, as the data plan is on your line, not the total family plan. Her options will be any of the tiered plans with 2gb being the cheapest.

^ This.

Your unlimited data is fine.

Reaction score
Why would she pay the full price? You don't just get unlimited data by paying the full price, you have to have had an unlimited plan when it was available and be grandfathered into it. Seeing as she never had data, there is no way for her to get unlimited unless she goes with another carrier.

JRParsons

Reaction score
She doesn't have to pay full price, she can pay the subsidized price, then it will be $40/month for 2gb, $50 for 4gb, etc. Your unlimited will not be affected.

geekabilly

Reaction score
She doesn't have to pay full price, she can pay the subsidized price, then it will be $40/month for 2gb, $50 for 4gb, etc. Your unlimited will not be affected.

Are you sure about that? I'm on unlimited, my wife has an old 150 MB/mo data plan on her Razr, & my daughter has a feature phone - 3 months ago I was going to upgrade the daughter's plan to smartphone and activate an old DX we have on her line, and they told me I would have convert my unlim and the missus 150 MB plan to a family plan in order to change the daughter's line from talk/text to smartphone

JRParsons

Reaction score
First of all, never take something you read on the Internet as gospel. But I just came from a corporate store, where I was looking to get my daughter an iPhone (it's what she wants). I currently have 2 unlimited and 2 dumb phones on a family plan. The new iPhone would have been a 5th phone. I was worried about my unlimited lines and was told that they wouldn't be affected. I could buy any one of the available iPhones at the subsidized price and my bill would increase by $40/month for 2gb. If you are currently on some other plan, then it is possible this option isn't available to you.

Reaction score
Are you sure about that? I'm on unlimited, my wife has an old 150 MB/mo data plan on her Razr, & my daughter has a feature phone - 3 months ago I was going to upgrade the daughter's plan to smartphone and activate an old DX we have on her line, and they told me I would have convert my unlim and the missus 150 MB plan to a family plan in order to change the daughter's line from talk/text to smartphone

They are trying to get you to dump your unlimited as is their training. I see this all the time when I go to look at new phones.

VZW person: "Oh you only use 1.5GB a month so you don't even need to stay on unlimited"
Idiot who has 0 clue about the most important device they own besides maybe their car: "Oh, great that sounds fine when apps/smartphones are using more and more data than ever"
VZW person: "Yeah we have your best interests at heart, your monthly bill for 3 lines on a shared data plan will be $220 btw...
Idiot who has 0 clue about the most important device they own besides maybe their car: "That sounds totally fair, here take my money, I don't even need to look at other carriers/options because that would require work and potentially taking time away from staring at facebook and twitter gossip and posting on my blog that nobody reads."

Your family plan has nothing to do with what lines can have unlimited and what can't, if they won't add a line tell them to go to hell and talk to someone else or go to another store or better yet tell them you're going to take your business to another carrier and complain to verizon directly about the shoddy service and that they specifically (their name and the store# they work at) were the cause.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2

they lied, you can have tiered and unlimited on the same account, i do and 2 dumb phones

X_Usaf

Reaction score
I Just did this last week to keep my data plan. I upgraded my daughters Iphone to my S3 then switched it to my unlimited data line and her iphone back up.

The salesman at the store told me I could Do this.

Peace