Verizon to Debut New Data Plans on October 28th

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
610px-Verizon-Wireless-Logo_svg.png

Verizon is set to debut a new set of data plans on October 28th that will usher in the era of metered usage for tablets as it will launch the iPad the same day, but maintain unlimited usage for smartphones in a bid to increase its attraction to users on tiered data plans, such as those on AT&T.

The new plans consist of $15/month for 150MB with $0.10/MB overage or $29.99 for unlimited data per month, easing fears of AT&T alike tiered data acces for smartphones.

The MiFi-iPad bundle will consist of $20/$35/$50 plans for 1GB/3GB/5GB monthly access respectively with an overage rate of $10 per gigabyte and an $80 monthly plan for 10GB with the same overage rate.

New MiFi, FiveSpot and netbook/modem customers will have $50/5GB and $80/10GB monthly plans. The MiFi and FiveSpot will also support the new tablet oriented $35/3GB plan as part of a 90-day promotion with the overage rate also priced at 1GB for $10.

Feature phone plans will now be $1.99/MB, $15 for 150MB/month, or $29.99 for unlimited data. The current $9.99/25MB/month option will be discontinued. USB modem pricing remains at $39.99 for 250MB or $59.99 for 5GB.

Written by Humberto Saabedra
on October 18, 2010

Source

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Glad they're keeping unlimited for the same price. I think I'll move my girlfriend to the $15 plan since she doesnt use the internet nearly as much as I do.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Glad to see Verizon isn't stupid. To offer no unlimited plan would be a big mistake. People would jump to Sprint in a heart beat if they use a lot of data. If my dad was to ever join Verizon, he would easily pick the $15 plan as he would rarely use data other than e-mail and maybe google maps. Though I have to say, for $15, I would rather see at least a gig or two.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
They are, but it's to encourage people to use their tablets on WiFi instead of the 3G. They expect a lot of streaming video on those tabs, an that's VERY expensive.

TwoBuells

Reaction score
I’ve been watching my data usage for the first three months I’ve had my Droid. 1st month under 500mb, 2nd month the same, than I rooted my phone, I only had to download all my apps once from installing a fresh rom. All the other kernels, ROMs I’ve downloaded mostly to my computer then transferred to my SD card. I don’t do the USB tethering and watched about 1.5 hours of video and that month I used a little over 2gb of data. I was very surprised. I did use the GPS on a 3 hour trip that month, I wonder how much data that uses. Now I know I have a unlimited data plan now and was just keeping track of what I use just in case the future I might have to choose a different plan.