Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Sure, the $15 tier is part teaser plan but for a lot of people who only need email and some very light browsing it makes sense, especially if they have wifi at home. That's a lot of people who probably wouldn't otherwise spring for a smartphone and data plan.

The big joke is the pay-as-you go. What is it, $2 per meg? That's nothing. Better disable data and only use in an emergency if you go that route.
Or turn 3G off and use WiFi exclusively. People have done it.

Lucas5

Reaction score
i wouldn't mind the tiered plans, but what verizon is proposing is garbage! i don't go over a gigabyte in a given month, but i certainly do go over 200MB.
i could deal with a 150MB limit, but what is the frigging point when verizon is going to slap you with another $15 just for going a few megs over the 150?!
i think they should throw in another tier: $20 for 500MB.
so unless verizon makes some changes to their tiers than i'm going to stick with my unlimited data plan.

on a side note: it seems to me that verizon doesn't really care that much about people sucking a lot of data. if anything, they want to attract more customers who don't want to shell out another $30/month for a smartphone.

bd1212

Reaction score
i wouldn't mind the tiered plans, but what verizon is proposing is garbage! i don't go over a gigabyte in a given month, but i certainly do go over 200MB.
i could deal with a 150MB limit, but what is the frigging point when verizon is going to slap you with another $15 just for going a few megs over the 150?!
i think they should throw in another tier: $20 for 500MB.
so unless verizon makes some changes to their tiers than i'm going to stick with my unlimited data plan.

on a side note: it seems to me that verizon doesn't really care that much about people sucking a lot of data. if anything, they want to attract more customers who don't want to shell out another $30/month for a smartphone.

It's $15 for every 150MB you go over, so it's 10 cents per megabyte overage.

Reaction score
if anything, they want to attract more customers who don't want to shell out another $30/month for a smartphone.

This is exactly what it is. They aren't trying to give middle-level users options, they are trying to bring in people who like the device (not a hard sell in most cases) but aren't willing to go with the smart phone package.

As a consumer, when faced with a "Multimedia Phone" that does very little but costs $15 per month or a Droid that costs $15 per month, most people are going to go with the droid. And once they have it and love it, they switch to the unlimited plan.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Lenagainster

Reaction score
It doesn't appear that they will only charge ten cents per MB overage. It seems as if they will sell the data in chunks as ATT does. So go over the 150 MB by a little and get hit with another $15. Go over 300 MB while on the $15 plan and get hit for $45 for that month.

Will VZW allow one to switch easily from the 150 MB plan to unlimited and back? Remains to be seen.

hyisbm

Reaction score
I thought I read on a post a while back about there possibly being a shared data plan for family members? Any updates on that?

Schoat333

Reaction score
I thought that the $15 dollar data looked good, until I looked at my data usage on verizons website.

I figured I was barely using any of my data, but apparently I've use 45MB in just 6 days... Last month I used 477MB. I mostly use my phone for facebook and twitter, maybe check for a movie time, the sports scores, or to navigate. I have only used tethering a few times, and not in the past 2 months.

If a light user like me uses over 400MB in a month, who woul use as little as 150?

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I thought that the $15 dollar data looked good, until I looked at my data usage on verizons website.

I figured I was barely using any of my data, but apparently I've use 45MB in just 6 days... Last month I used 477MB. I mostly use my phone for facebook and twitter, maybe check for a movie time, the sports scores, or to navigate. I have only used tethering a few times, and not in the past 2 months.

If a light user like me uses over 400MB in a month, who woul use as little as 150?

I just checked my usage for the past 10 months. I have averaged 202 MB per month, with a low of 38 MB and a high of 512 MB. The high was when I was out of town for 10 days and didn't have access to RoadRunner. My wife has never used even 100 MB in a month, but she only has had her Ally for 3 full months. We are 10 days into a new month and I am at 139 MB, but she is at 14 MB. She wanted the phone for the PDA functions and to sync our calenders. You use the nav function, as do I sometimes. My wife doesn't use it at all, as we use it on my Droid. I'm guessing that using maps uses a lot of data. People who want a smartphone primarily for the PDA functions will do well on the 150 MB plan.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
It doesn't appear that they will only charge ten cents per MB overage. It seems as if they will sell the data in chunks as ATT does. So go over the 150 MB by a little and get hit with another $15. Go over 300 MB while on the $15 plan and get hit for $45 for that month.

Will VZW allow one to switch easily from the 150 MB plan to unlimited and back? Remains to be seen.

Both of these are important questions that need answered. Is it $0.10 per MB overage or a $15 chunk and can I switch back and forth easily on MyVerizon?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

Almost no one. It's really a plan for people who use mostly wifi at home and have it almost as an emergency plan when they are on the go.

Not sure how accurate it is, but the data usage on VZW's web breaks down by chunks of usage with time stamps. A good experiment might be to make sure you are on wifi from a good 4 hours before and after, and go out and do some normal light use of your phone for a few hours then check actual tally at VZW. I'm pretty sure email and google news reader can burn close to 150 megs a month by themselves.

TheOldFart

Reaction score

Both of these are important questions that need answered. Is it $0.10 per MB overage or a $15 chunk and can I switch back and forth easily on MyVerizon?

I just stopped at the Verizon corporate store and asked about these. It is in $15 chunks, so 151 Mb will cost you $30. The answer to the 2nd question is that you can switch back and forth every month as many times as you like. It can be done on MyVerizon. I will switch my wife tonight and stay on the unlimited myself.

TheOldFart

Reaction score

Almost no one. It's really a plan for people who use mostly wifi at home and have it almost as an emergency plan when they are on the go.

Not sure how accurate it is, but the data usage on VZW's web breaks down by chunks of usage with time stamps. A good experiment might be to make sure you are on wifi from a good 4 hours before and after, and go out and do some normal light use of your phone for a few hours then check actual tally at VZW. I'm pretty sure email and google news reader can burn close to 150 megs a month by themselves.

Not true. My wife has email forwarded, has her calender synced to mine and reads NubiNews and USAToday and has not gone over 75 MB in a month. Reading the full CNN or similar high data news site would use a lot more data than NubiNews, but CNN, BBC, Fox, etc on NubiNews is very low data. She also uses the Weather Channel app often.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
For people wondering -- the contract you signed to get the reduced price on your Droid has a set number of months YOU guaranteed to keep the $30/month plan on your line. For me it was 6, so I'm guessing you've probably signed the same contract condition.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Not true. My wife has email forwarded, has her calender synced to mine and reads NubiNews and USAToday and has not gone over 75 MB in a month. Reading the full CNN or similar high data news site would use a lot more data than NubiNews, but CNN, BBC, Fox, etc on NubiNews is very low data. She also uses the Weather Channel app often.

Well there you have it. good info.