Verizon Summer Catalog Leaks! Droid 2 Unofficially Now "Official"

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
vzw-summer-catalog.jpg

Boy Genius Report just got its hands on the Verizon Wireless 2010 Summer Catalog. And surprisingly, the Droid 2 is showing its face "officially" for the first time, as it has found its way onto the "Devices" page! Of course, the cover only had room for its big brother, the Droid X, but it is great to finally see the Droid 2 made "official" by Verizon Wireless. Besides that, there really are no other surprises in the Summer Catalog. The "technical specs" page lists the exact specs we have expected (and confirmed?) for quite a long time: 1Ghz CPU, 5MP camera (no 720p capture), slide-out QWERTY, 8GB ROM/512MB RAM, 8GB SDcard, and 3G Mobile Hotspot. There is no mention of its version of Android, but we suspect that by the time it launches (latest rumors have it at the end of August), it will be running FroYo.

0004me.jpg

Curiously absent from the Summer Guide is the Samsung Fascinate (a.k.a. Galaxy S). We wonder, has the Fascinate been put on hold by Verizon, in order to showcase the new Droids? Considering T-Mobile and AT&T are both releasing their variant of the Galaxy S in a matter of days, I'd hope that Verizon Wireless follows suit shortly thereafter. But in the name of branding and profitability, it does make sense to delay the non-Droid Fascinate, at least until the new Droids have run their course.

Another interesting item to note, on the "Applications" page, you will find a large "Bing" logo. Has Verizon finally begun to fulfill its contract with Microsoft to have Bing Search and Maps pre-installed on all its latest smartphones? We already heard that the Fascinate will be Bing-driven, but what about the Droid X, Droid 2, and others? Only time will tell. Side note: The Droid X will likely not have Bing as default, considering the already-shipped Droid X devices are absent of Bing.

0007rx.jpg

Finally, the "Plans and Pricing" page seems unchanged, to the relief of some. Unlimited Data pricing remains at $29.99/mo.

0013yb.jpg

Is there anything noteworthy from the Summer Guide that we missed, or something in particular the peaked your interest? Let us know!

Source: BGR
Check out the full Summer Guide here

Last edited:

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Wonder what the specs will be compared to the DroidX. I personally am not fond of a physical keyboard so I am still going to get a DroidX. Hopefully with this release, those who were thinking of getting a DriodX but want a physical keyboard will wait. Maybe there won't be a suppy shortage.

Mojo

Reaction score
Wonder what the specs will be compared to the DroidX. I personally am not fond of a physical keyboard so I am still going to get a DroidX. Hopefully with this release, those who were thinking of getting a DriodX but want a physical keyboard will wait. Maybe there won't be a suppy shortage.

"Thanks to the Summer / Fall catalog, we do have some confirmed specifications on the Motorola Droid 2: 8GB memory card preinstalled, 5 megapixel camera, 3G Mobile Hotspot functionality, and 1GHz CPU."

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Glad I am set on the DroidX. I am really into the 8 megapixel camera. My wife and I are having our 2nd baby in October. I like having a camera on me at all times for that reason. I can never find the camera at home when i need it, and after finding it, the moment has passed.

Thanks too for the info.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Well here's hoping vanilla Froyo an unlocked bootloader and easy root otherwise Motorola will have screwed the pooch on this one too. Typical freakin moto though. Release one winner and then screw up the rest. When will they ever learn!?

Donsell

Reaction score
"Thanks to the Summer / Fall catalog, we do have some confirmed specifications on the Motorola Droid 2: 8GB memory card preinstalled, 5 megapixel camera, 3G Mobile Hotspot functionality, and 1GHz CPU."

This isn't a big enough jump over the Moto Droid for me to get excited about, especially if they lock the boot loader.

Am I missing something?

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
OP edited, with some good information. Enjoy :)

Darkseider

Reaction score
No Fascinate. I wonder if it is because they are showcasing the Droid X and Droid 2 or if they are making Samsung lock down the Fascinate? Ohh there's a conspiracy theory for ya!

ninjabox

Reaction score
Top left corner of Droid 2, what is that I'm seeing???? Is it a camera or something?????

Shred or Die

Reaction score
This isn't a big enough jump over the Moto Droid for me to get excited about, especially if they lock the boot loader.

Am I missing something?

I think the purpose of the new Droid 2 is for those who have yet to purchase a smartphone and were looking at the Moto Droid. This is a just a fixed up version of the original Droid. If you don't want a 4.3 screen, or you want a physical keyboard, then the Droid 2 may be a perfect choice.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
OMG!!! the original beloved droid 1 isn't on that list!!! i just dropped mine down 12 stone stairs and SHE'S still alive!! i hope droid 2 is this rugged!! my heart felt every gd stair. took me awhile to find the battery and even longer to find the cover but YAY she lives!!! rockon moto droid!!! :woot:

THE stairs lol damn!!

IMG_20100703_082033.jpg

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
lol that picture in the OP.. actual sizes shown!

all you folks getting the DX, don't forget to sign up on the DroidForums sister site specifically for the DroidX, DroidXForums

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
droid 2 has 1 ghz processor, thought it was suppose to be 750

debdroid1a

Reaction score
Top left corner of Droid 2, what is that I'm seeing???? Is it a camera or something?????

To me, looks like a Notification LED.

Might be a different notification one. Looks like there's still one on the right side like the Droid 1. I couldn't see anything in the upper left hand on Droid 1.

It says the Droid 2 only comes with an 8gb card... I wonder if that could be upgraded to a 16gb or 32gb. I like the 8gb internal though.