Motorola Droid nearing End of Life

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I see the whole locked down way of thinking to be how they figured out how to make a buck off the tethering and stop people from doing it for free on the new phones.....except it is moto that is locking it down, not Verizon. Any word on a Nexus 2? Especially in light of the fact that moto has said that if you want a phone where you can mess with the system, and not just apps, to buy a Nexus. That statement is enough to make me pretty sure the Droid 2 will be just as locked down as the Droid X.

I fully expect my droid, that I got last November, to still be functioning this time next year. My guess is it won't just up and die. It will either become retired one day, or I'll do something stupid and kill it by accident.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I fully expect my droid, that I got last November, to still be functioning this time next year. My guess is it won't just up and die. It will either become retired one day, or I'll do something stupid and kill it by accident.
Yeah, no way it will just die...I am hoping to get bits and peices of GB since I am pretty sure the Droid will not be getting the official OTA of 3.0 still there is plenty of life in my Original Droid (OD) and no way I am giving up on it
It should hold it's value on ebay/graigslist etc etc.....

It's a definite selling point.
Here is a selling point, MotoDroid Classic Rooted with all available custom ROMs preinstalled via ClockWork Recovery just boot into recovery and choose your poison

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
It's a collectors item

CK this might be difficult to part with this one, I could see regretting it soon after
I agree...I'm seriously reconsidering what to do here.

There's chatter that this eFuse is a load of poop. I've heard it's just a signed boot chain and kernel/recovery (what the milestone has)

TwoBuells

Reaction score
My Droid is 30 days old. I'm still learning how to use it and add stuff to it.
This forum is great for learning about my phone. I learn something new about it everday.

I really like the google voice thing to search for stuff. Works everytime! Well… one time I was showing a friend how the voice search works and he asked me to search for Art Rooney Drive (Pittsburg Steelers) and the msg came back, “are you retarded?” and Google maps came up and showed me to the closest Mental Hospital……..we both fell over laughing…….dancedroid

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
those who no longer want their droid, hit me up. I will take them off your hands.

lilliboss

Reaction score
I have a bad feeling that this news may signal the end of expectations of getting 2.2 into Motorola droid.

Reaction score
I have 16 months left on my contract and won't upgrade this phone till I'm certain there is a rootable replacement with a strong dev community behind it. I don't own, nor will I ever get insurance...I take care of my phones and they take care of me. I just don't see the issue (for me personally) as eventually the community will move on to other devices and I will folllow gracefully and fashionably late as my droid has the potential to keep me happy for a LONG time (at least in the phone worlds space time continuum.

Minnty

Reaction score
I have insurance on my Droid. What will happen if I break or lose my phone? Will they send me a Droid 2 or will I get a replacement Droid.

i almost had to do a claim cause something was wrong with my phone, the Assurian people are currently replacing it with the HtC Incredible, or something along those lines right now.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Eulogy for a Droid:

The Droid is going to remembered for a lot of great things and very few bad things. It will be one of the most loved phones of the mobile dev community until Motorola or HTC/Google wise up and unlock the bootloaders again.

The phone made Android matter, kept Motorola from imminent foreign buyout or bankruptcy, and gave Verizon a smartphone line that can almost sell itself now. It gave Apple competition and RIM and Microsoft a reason to get scared edited by moderator. I have a feeling that by 2012, smartphones will become the only market for phones, and it's because Apple and Google.

Rest in Peace dear friend. You have brought so much joy to so many. You will be missed on the store shelves.

>>> Amazing Grace playing in the background by bag pipers <<<

Last edited by a moderator:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mine isn't going to die. At least not until this September, and I may very well keep it beyond that.

B

budmonster

It will get the OTA. And if you break your Droid they'll send you a certified like new. They have a shiatload of them, they really "run" out.