Verizon Found Another Small but Sneaky Way to Move Customers Off Unlimited Data Plans

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
new-vzw-aol-policy-1.jpg

The above is a screen grab of a new Verizon policy that is going into effect today (November 13th, 2014). It's a very small, yet sneaky new way for Big Red to "transition" customers away from the old school grandfathered unlimited data plans. Basically, anytime a customer is taking over an account from someone else, they will need to switch to one of Verizon's current data plans and give up unlimited data.

Obviously there are only a few corner cases where this is relevant, so it may not be worth getting worked up over, but it is basically par for the course for a company that probably wishes it never offered unlimited plans to begin with. Keep this new policy in mind if you are considering taking over someone else's account.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
This eliminates selling unlimited lines for hundreds of dollars. Still bunch of loopholes in their system.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
welp there goes my plan of selling my line and switching networks. Thanks Verizon

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Glad I sold my two earlier this year. I knew they would find a way to close that loophole.

Tap'd from my Droid Turbo

jsandy

Reaction score
"I am soon retiring. The small business I work for has provided my cell phone and an unlimited data plan. I have had the same phone number for 20 + years and the unlimited data plan since its inception. I currently have a Note 3 and will be keeping the phone and the company has no problem with me keeping the phone number and the data plan. Is it possible to transfer this phone (and most importantly this unlimited data plan) to my personal family account I have for my wife and daughter? Thanks for any advice"

I asked this question over on XDA several months ago and was told by a Verizon Rep that posts there that AOL would work. I'm guessing that the new policy means that is no longer possible. Any other avenue I might pursue?

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
"I am soon retiring. The small business I work for has provided my cell phone and an unlimited data plan. I have had the same phone number for 20 + years and the unlimited data plan since its inception. I currently have a Note 3 and will be keeping the phone and the company has no problem with me keeping the phone number and the data plan. Is it possible to transfer this phone (and most importantly this unlimited data plan) to my personal family account I have for my wife and daughter? Thanks for any advice"

I asked this question over on XDA several months ago and was told by a Verizon Rep that posts there that AOL would work. I'm guessing that the new policy means that is no longer possible. Any other avenue I might pursue?
I'd say it sounds like you're SOL on the AOL, however... call, keep going up the chain of supervisors until you get someone who will work with you, it's surprising what some of these guys can do if you just get the right person and remain calm

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
If the employer has been paying the bill probably SOL. Go up to chain.
On a side note, this isn't a way to get folks off unlimited, it makes sure you don't get anyone new that has not been on unlimited all the while.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
If the employer has been paying the bill probably SOL. Go up to chain.
On a side note, this isn't a way to get folks off unlimited, it makes sure you don't get anyone new that has not been on unlimited all the while.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
nope doesn't matter, still a dirty move to remove all unlimited from their service... I give it another 5 years before they just flat or day. sorry no more unlimited data, hopefully by then their stuff will be built out enough that a low level cap will be 30 gigs.

we can all dream ya know.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk