Verizon Drops The Axe! Will Disconnect Unlimited Data Users Using Extraordinary Amounts Of Data!

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Fox has mentioned a couple times that he talked to a rep about this.

Ohyea!

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Damn, I usually average about 30-35 gigs a month. Looks like I'm screwed.

Batman8

Reaction score
I am sooooo sick of Verizon threatening us grandfathered users every year or so!!!!! I've been with VZW for 26 years now, and I also have never missed a payment, bought literally THOUSANDS of dollars worth of devices and equipment and I cannot believe that this is how my loyalty is repaid. I also thought that they would leave us the hell alone after increasing my data price by $20/month, but even after charging me more money they're also going to limit me or disconnect my line?!!!!!

If really this is the treatment I'll receive after being a valued 26 year customer then screw VERIZON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There will be no real reason to stay with those buttholes anymore especially when they aren't offering anything over their competitors.

I guess it's finally time to move on to another carrier. Anyone have any recommendations between AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc.?

Thanks All.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Depends where you live. Sprint and att suck around here. TMO used to as well but they built some serious infrastructure recently.

Batman8

Reaction score
Fortunately for me I have been well under that for the past 3 months, but if they looked back to January or February I'd get crushed. I had two months right after my house burned down where I used the UDP to provide internet for not just our phones, but for laptops since the service that the hotel we were placed in had sucky service. We have since moved, I have a hard data line in the room that has 20MbPS service and I have my own wireless router so unless we leave the room we're all good.
543e0e980ab5c1674767b5c63219d295.jpg
WOW FoxKat, your house burned down?!! I certainly hope this whole unlimited data thing works out for you, but most importantly I hope everyone made it safely out of your house with no injuries or fatalities!!!

Batman8

Reaction score
Depends where you live. Sprint and att suck around here. TMO used to as well but they built some serious infrastructure recently.

I'm in the Chicago area so I would hope that signal strength and such won't be an issue, although I often have signal issues now with Verizon (which is all the more reason to switch carriers since my damn service isn't really stellar as it is...and now this?)!

Thanks for the info Mustang02.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The metro area of Chicago should be fine but you might find spotty coverage in the burbs around it. T-Mobile coverage map is pretty darn accurate, more so than Verizon by a lot . I can't speak for AT&T and Sprint maps because I've never used them. I'd suggest look on their sites for their signal in areas you live and travel. As Mustang said, T-Mobile has had quite a build out over the last year+.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
Bunch of BS.
Unlimited means Unlimited.
If I stream Dish and other services and watch on my phone and hit 20GB, what am I doing that violates my TOS? Not a dang thing.
This comes with no warning, and is retroactively punitive.
Verizon is going to see itself on the BAD side of the FCC and FTC once again.
Remember when they tried throttling of UDP only?
This runs afoul of what they agreed to when they got Block C.

They sold, no forced, people to take unlimited data at a time when it was good for them.
I've played by their rules. I've bought phones outright, I haven't changed my plan and I pay my bill on time.
So what they are saying is that unlimited is not or should not be used as such.
If this isn't false advertising and an FTC violation what is.

T-Mobile is looking good if I need to leave. I know how to port out..... I've been with Verizon since it was GTE MobileNet here in Ca. (22+ years)

Last edited:

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
What people don't understand or want to accept is that their UDP contract ENDED years ago. They are no longer under contract. Verizon offered them a two year contract for unlimited data. Verizon fulfilled that contract. Verizon offered them the option of entering a new contract at the end of the two years. This time the contract did not include unlimited data, but a tiered plan. Many took that offer, but some refused and continued MONTH TO MONTH service. Verizon was under no obligation after the contract was fulfilled and they are under no obligation to provide anything except the month that you pay for. If you want to enter a new contract, you have to abide by the new contract rules as does Verizon. There is no false advertising as VZW does NOT advertise unlimited data at this time. They provided what they promised and fulfilled their part of the contract. This is absolutely NOT an FTC violation. I wish VZW did provide unlimited data now, but they don't. We are all free to take our business elsewhere if we don't like the service provided. VZW is not a monopoly, there are plenty of other options.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
What people don't understand or want to accept is that their UDP contract ENDED years ago. They are no longer under contract. Verizon offered them a two year contract for unlimited data. Verizon fulfilled that contract. Verizon offered them the option of entering a new contract at the end of the two years. This time the contract did not include unlimited data, but a tiered plan. Many took that offer, but some refused and continued MONTH TO MONTH service. Verizon was under no obligation after the contract was fulfilled and they are under no obligation to provide anything except the month that you pay for. If you want to enter a new contract, you have to abide by the new contract rules as does Verizon. There is no false advertising as VZW does NOT advertise unlimited data at this time. They provided what they promised and fulfilled their part of the contract. This is absolutely NOT an FTC violation. I wish VZW did provide unlimited data now, but they don't. We are all free to take our business elsewhere if we don't like the service provided. VZW is not a monopoly, there are plenty of other options.

Actually you do not know what you are talking about.
There are plenty of us with UDP that are under contract.
My contract on all four lines does not expire until Nov of 2017.
There were multiple ways to stay under contract.