Verizon Drops The Axe! Will Disconnect Unlimited Data Users Using Extraordinary Amounts Of Data!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
18ixgkmykbra5jpg.jpg

The proverbial Axe was just dropped by Verizon. For years we have seen the writing on the wall and the reckoning is finally here. If you are an unlimited data user who actually uses what you pay for expect to be disconnected by Verizon starting August 31. This is all part of a major migration project. Verizon is trying to move the final unlimited data users to a limited data plan. Verizon will begin to notify users who they deem as having used too much data of what is to come and the options that remain starting tomorrow July 21.

The options will be to either switch to a tiered data plan by August 31st or have the line terminated. You will then have the option to reactivate the line, but only if you start back up on a limited data plan. I think this is all a load of horse dung. If they want to do away with unlimited data plans just say hey we are officially abolishing unlimited data plans. You can't just shut someone down for using what they pay for! I am more than likely effected by this. I personally consume more than 50GB per month. My wife uses about 20GB per month on average. Reports indicate that 95% of all mobile data users use less than 5GB of data per month so you can see how Verizon would say that anything over 5GB is "extraordinary".

I will personally have to take my business to another carrier if Verizon decides to shut down my lines. I have been with them for more than 10 years now. I have never missed a bill, and have purchased tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment with them. It is kind of ridiculous that this is how they chose to treat some of their best customers.

How does this make you feel. Is this something you totally expected. Should Verizon handle this situation differently? Honestly if they would just come out and say they are doing away with unlimited data I would understand that. I don't understand the notion they are keeping unlimited data just as long as you don't really use it as such. What are your thoughts.

UPDATE: Verizon has informed the guys over at Droid-Life that this report is accurate. They will indeed notify a small group of customers who use the extraordinary amount of data that they will need to be on a new plan by August 31.

UPDATE UPDATE: "Foxkat" has actually spoken with Technical support who informed him that users in the 20GB-30GB per month range will be the ones to get the axe. This will be a hard stop come August 31. The limit is also per line not collectively which means if you had 2 lines of UDP you could hit 40-60GB without seeing the boot. Since I average 70GB per month on two lines I may not be safe.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
18ixgkmykbra5jpg.jpg

The proverbial Axe was just dropped by Verizon. For years we have seen the writing on the wall and the reckoning is finally here. If you are an unlimited data user who actually uses what you pay for expect to be disconnected by Verizon starting August 31. This is all part of a major migration project. Verizon is trying to move the final unlimited data users to a limited data plan. Verizon will begin to notify users who they deem as having used too much data of what is to come and the options that remain starting tomorrow July 21.

The options will be to either switch to a tiered data plan by August 31st or have the line terminated. You will then have the option to reactivate the line, but only if you start back up on a limited data plan. I think this is all a load of horse dung. If they want to do away with unlimited data plans just say hey we are officially abolishing unlimited data plans. You can't just shut someone down for using what they pay for! I am more than likely effected by this. I personally consume more than 50GB per month. My wife uses about 20GB per month on average. Reports indicate that 95% of all mobile data users use less than 5GB of data per month so you can see how Verizon would say that anything over 5GB is "extraordinary".

I will personally have to take my business to another carrier if Verizon decides to shut down my lines. I have been with them for more than 10 years now. I have never missed a bill, and have purchased tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment with them. It is kind of ridiculous that this is how they chose to treat some of their best customers.

How does this make you feel. Is this something you totally expected. Should Verizon handle this situation differently? Honestly if they would just come out and say they are doing away with unlimited data I would understand that. I don't understand the notion they are keeping unlimited data just as long as you don't really use it as such. What are your thoughts.

As I said in the other thread, I don't believe it will affect any but the most egregious of all unlimited data users. There are some who think they are slick and can slip through the cracks while sucking down huge amounts of data. They are unfortunately severely mistaken. Just as it's easy to drill down what you are searching for with filters or keywords, likewise Verizon can very quickly and efficiently find out who among the remaining grandfathered UDP users are taking the words "unlimited data" to mean unlimited data no matter how you circumvent the safeguards put in place to prevent you from tethering your entire house wirelessly to your phone plan. They will also capture with that search those who think it's "fun" to push the limits and pull down as much data as they can in a plan billing month.

I am on the phone with Verizon Technical Support and the technician read a part of the printed announcement she received this morning. I asked her what constitutes excessive data usage that would trigger the letter to a customer and off the cuff she indicated it could possibly be as low as 20GB. I have then pressed her for a more accurate number and upon checking she came back with between 20GB and 30GB. The new plan will not take place until August 31.

Upon asking if this will be a gentle recommendation or a forced push out of the UDP, she said it will be a hard stop. This will be based upon the last 3 months' usage average and if it exceeds they will be moved. This is based on the April 1 billing cycle and beyond.

Granted, this is much lower than I had expected, but it is also per-line, NOT collectively for the entire plan. This means for me, with 2 UDP lines we could approach from 40GB to 60GB without triggering the push.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
20gb? I'm good. Most I use is 12.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
20gb? I'm good. Most I use is 12.

Fortunately for me I have been well under that for the past 3 months, but if they looked back to January or February I'd get crushed. I had two months right after my house burned down where I used the UDP to provide internet for not just our phones, but for laptops since the service that the hotel we were placed in had sucky service. We have since moved, I have a hard data line in the room that has 20MbPS service and I have my own wireless router so unless we leave the room we're all good.
543e0e980ab5c1674767b5c63219d295.jpg

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
12 month average? I'm 4gb. When I'm visiting rents, I use more data. They have dialup.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
12 month average? I'm 4gb. When I'm visiting rents, I use more data. They have dialup.

No, I was told it will be a 3 month average starting with plans who's cycle starts after April 1, 2016. This means that they will be looking from April 1 through August 30, and then the changes start August 31.

The Stig 04

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P (VZ) & S7 Edge (TMO)
God I thought we were done with this when they decided to up our bill by $20!

X brings up a good point though. How is it fair that I use 50gb and pay my bill to get shut off, yet the person using 10gb and paying their bill get to keep theirs?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
God I thought we were done with this when they decided to up our bill by $20!

X brings up a good point though. How is it fair that I use 50gb and pay my bill to get shut off, yet the person using 10gb and paying their bill get to keep theirs?
The issue is that you (and I), are off-contract, and there is NO verbiage in the TOS that say they can not change or end the plan at any time without approval from us. The plan is OLD, I mean REALLY OLD, and NOBODY can buy a plan that gives as much latitude as the UDP plans of yesteryear. Some would say it's unfair that we are allowed to benefit from a plan that lets us use data without regard for limits, and that the expense of our excessive use of data is actually being paid for by the new data plan purchasers. Just like everything where it was underpriced originally, or where the costs have outstripped the original pricing plans eventually the out-of-balance will eventually self-rebalance.

Domestic violence

Reaction score
Who didn't know this was coming? That's why I took my last upgrade with Verizon, got into a tiered plan, terminated early and was paid by T-Mobile.

Not one hiccup with them so far and i have 20gb of LTE stashed as their rollover caps at 20gb.

I should lower my monthly data until I dip into my stashed data and then raise it back up.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
usage.PNG

Strange, zero usage in Feb but 44ish gb in march? something is wrong with their system.

I'm averaging just under 20gb... go to hell verizon, same as DMX said, I've been with them for over 10 years now and bought tons of devices and hardware bills etc.... take my unlimited and I will suffer worse service somewhere else.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
It's not about being fair. It's business. They are under no obligation to let anyone keep these old plans going. They'll stay with the high users then move to the rest. It's just business.

They want to get everyone, or as many as they can, under their new plans. It's simpler for them.

I think it's funny that anyone thinks their entitled to these UDP plans. And entitled to use as much data as they like. It was said long ago when the talk of UDP going away started that people using huge amounts of data would ruin it for everyone. 4+ years is a good run on a plan no longer offered.

Verizon is not an ISP. If you're using 50+ GB of data on your phone, you're using it outside it's intended purpose.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk