Verizon Doesn't Multi-Task?

jimnutt

Reaction score
It's a limitation of CDMA technology, the phone switches back to 2G to make a voice call (or to send a text message for that matter). On the other hand, it's still not difficult to do, just install SIPDroid and user VOIP (Voice Over IP) for your phone calls, then you can browse at the same time. Of course, unless you're using a headset it's not terribly practical anyway.
I also have yet to have a need for data and voice at the same time.

With your statement above, does using GV fall under VOIP allowing you to surf too?

No, Google Voice is a call routing and voice mail system, not VOIP. For VOIP you need an account with something like Gizmo5 or another service. I believe SIPDroid recommends one in its marketplace listing.

J

Johnly

K thanks for the response. I think that AT&T is desperate and any flaw that they find with Verizon, they rant on and on about it. Hahaha
That is what at&t does. They respond like children, weather in the courtroom, bantering on TV, paying some washed up 70's show actor, at&t just sucks. If they didn't have apple, they would be like cricket eh>:icon_ devil:

J

Johnly

It's a limitation of CDMA technology, the phone switches back to 2G to make a voice call (or to send a text message for that matter). On the other hand, it's still not difficult to do, just install SIPDroid and user VOIP (Voice Over IP) for your phone calls, then you can browse at the same time. Of course, unless you're using a headset it's not terribly practical anyway.

With your statement above, does using GV fall under VOIP allowing you to surf too?

No, Google Voice is a call routing and voice mail system, not VOIP. For VOIP you need an account with something like Gizmo5 or another service. I believe SIPDroid recommends one in its marketplace listing.
Not yet, but I have an inkling that could change in the future....

jimnutt

Reaction score

Not yet, but I have an inkling that could change in the future....

Agreed, especially since Google just bought Gizmo5 at the end of last year, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see VOIP combined with google voice.

dwrek

Reaction score
Verizon Blowz

Did anyone forget the fact that with CDMA networks like Verizon you can't send picture messages durring a call? This can get quite annoying when you have to hang up then send the message. With AT&T you can send picture messages and surf the web durring a phone call. I actually find it to be quite useful on my iphone. It gets old trying to picture message someone durring a call that has Verizon or Sprint when you have AT&T and they have to hang up and you don't.

AT&T/TMOBILE (GSM) are way better than VERIZON/SPRINT (CDMA)

I :heart: my :iphone: & AT&T

brando56894

Reaction score
When I saw that as one of their main bragging points I laughed and (like most of you guys) thought "how many times do you want to talk and surf the web at the same time?"

In one of their newer commercials theyre raving about the barcode scanner now (werent we the first ones to have this feature?)

warrior21

Reaction score
Did anyone forget the fact that with CDMA networks like Verizon you can't send picture messages durring a call? This can get quite annoying when you have to hang up then send the message. With AT&T you can send picture messages and surf the web durring a phone call. I actually find it to be quite useful on my iphone. It gets old trying to picture message someone durring a call that has Verizon or Sprint when you have AT&T and they have to hang up and you don't.

Are you serious? You actually created an account on here just to post this? I would never have a use to surf the web or send a picture message when I was on the phone, even though I can connected to wifi. The only thing quite annoying is the garbage At&t calls cell service. All they have is gimmicks

iPirate

Reaction score
Clearly you aren't popular enough to have people call you while they are on game shows...

dwrek

Reaction score

Are you serious? You actually created an account on here just to post this? I would never have a use to surf the web or send a picture message when I was on the phone, even though I can connected to wifi. The only thing quite annoying is the garbage At&t calls cell service. All they have is gimmicks

So you've never wanted to send a picture message durring a phone call? There's a reason why most of the world uses GSM... Thanks... :)

Joker

Reaction score
Clearly you aren't popular enough to have people call you while they are on game shows...

:rofl3:

and wow to that person that created an account just to post what he/she did for the props to at&t

warrior21

Reaction score

So you've never wanted to send a picture message durring a phone call? There's a reason why most of the world uses GSM... Thanks... :)
Nope, never had the urge to send a picture message during a call. I prefer to have my phone calls stay connected so I'll stick with Verizon.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score

Before joining, did you happen to notice that this thread is three months old?

Go away iPhone fanboy.