Verizon Doesn't Multi-Task?

rebornlaxer

Reaction score
So you've all probably seen those AT&T commercials bragging about how they can talk and browse the web at the same time. I honestly don't think that it is that great because I have never had to do that. But I am wondering why we can't Verizon talk and browse the web at the same time?
Thank you

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There's many, many threads about this. Bottom line is it can be done on GSM but cannot be done on the CDMA network unless you are using wifi. And you hit the nail on the head, how many times did you really ever have the urge to talk and surf at the same time on your cell phone.

jimnutt

Reaction score
It's a limitation of CDMA technology, the phone switches back to 2G to make a voice call (or to send a text message for that matter). On the other hand, it's still not difficult to do, just install SIPDroid and user VOIP (Voice Over IP) for your phone calls, then you can browse at the same time. Of course, unless you're using a headset it's not terribly practical anyway.

OP
rebornlaxer

rebornlaxer

Reaction score
K thanks for the response. I think that AT&T is desperate and any flaw that they find with Verizon, they rant on and on about it. Hahaha

CatsvsDogs

Reaction score
So you've all probably seen those AT&T commercials bragging about how they can talk and browse the web at the same time. I honestly don't think that it is that great because I have never had to do that. But I am wondering why we can't Verizon talk and browse the web at the same time?
Thank you

*Edit* Yeah what MK17 said..

Have you tried to do it?

Last edited:

mjs31

Reaction score
K thanks for the response. I think that AT&T is desperate and any flaw that they find with Verizon, they rant on and on about it. Hahaha

My favorite is still the "Whats the capital of Peru" one from AT&T. Luke Wilson gets the call from the game show asking this question. Hits about 2 keys on his blackberry and immediately the capital of Peru is shown in the browser....Just name the ways that this is so wrong!!!! From the BB browser speed, to the limited button pushes.
It is now becoming painful to see these stupid commercials with Wilson in them.

MarkDF

Reaction score
I have had a legitimate occasion to do this. I was talking with my son, and he was asking for a phone number or directions or something, and I had to hang up, surf the answer, and call him back. Not too inconvenient. I'd rank the simultaneous web/phone as nice to have, but not a reason to switch.

If I had been at home, of course, I could have done both with wifi and phone, but I was out of the house.

A

apeshitninja

My favorite is still the "Whats the capital of Peru" one from AT&T. Luke Wilson gets the call from the game show asking this question. Hits about 2 keys on his blackberry and immediately the capital of Peru is shown in the browser....Just name the ways that this is so wrong!!!! From the BB browser speed, to the limited button pushes.

They are getting pretty painful....I want to yell at the TV. AT&T is desperate, they are comparing situations that will not affect 99% of the population and acting like it's a major deal. Plus with the "talk and surf" argument, they are completely ignoring the fact that Verizon's coverage is much better. Sure you can download Luke Wilson faster on AT&T, if you're within 200ft of one of their 3G towers....

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's a limitation of CDMA technology, the phone switches back to 2G to make a voice call (or to send a text message for that matter). On the other hand, it's still not difficult to do, just install SIPDroid and user VOIP (Voice Over IP) for your phone calls, then you can browse at the same time. Of course, unless you're using a headset it's not terribly practical anyway.
I also have yet to have a need for data and voice at the same time.

With your statement above, does using GV fall under VOIP allowing you to surf too?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You see that AT&T forget to mention that since their network is sh#t and your call would drop anyway the truth. Is you can't surf and talk at the same time either. They also have the first find a pay phone app so when your call gets dropped you can at least find a pay phone.:D

flavious27

Reaction score

They are getting pretty painful....I want to yell at the TV. AT&T is desperate, they are comparing situations that will not affect 99% of the population and acting like it's a major deal. Plus with the "talk and surf" argument, they are completely ignoring the fact that Verizon's coverage is much better. Sure you can download Luke Wilson faster on AT&T, if you're within 200ft of one of their 3G towers....

"It is Lima you moron, Lima is the capital of peru!" This is all I thought of watching that commercial, they couldn't have had a harder question? I can see the use of getting data when talking on a phone, but the way that at&t presents this advantage for their network is just horrible. They could have had Luke talking to someone and ask them what pizza they wanted ordered; Papa Johns would have paid for that ad.

Palmyra

Reaction score
There's many, many threads about this. Bottom line is it can be done on GSM but cannot be done on the CDMA network unless you are using wifi. And you hit the nail on the head, how many times did you really ever have the urge to talk and surf at the same time on your cell phone.

I'm waiting for the time when some idiot is driving, talking, and surfing at the same time crashes into something. (Hopefully not someone!) The news media will be allover that one.....