Verizon beings unlimited data throttle - Your response?

Status
Not open for further replies.

idefiler6

Reaction score
I can't edit my post, but I'd like to add that my girl and I share a 700 minute plan and use maybe 30 of that per month, but that's the minimum and we're stuck paying for all of while using almost none. Everyone I know is on Verizon except one of my sisters.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
That is true and I won't leave as long as they keep giving me the unlimited data. But the question is, how much will they slow the speed down? If is is not noticeable, fine. If it is and it gets to the point that my phone isn't as much fun to use....then that would be their way of limiting my data.

I agree with that. I would think it wouldn't be so slow as you are unable to use your phone for anything, however I have no idea how much they throttle.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use between 3 and 5 gb monthly. My contract states that my data plan is unlimited, therefore I take great offense to any of you calling me abusive of MY unlimited data plan if I so choose to 100 or 1000gb each month. That's my right. Throttling the data that my contract says is A-OK is BS, regardless of how much I do or don't use. This is outrageous. They don't limit their home internet data at all. No speeds are throttled either.

you still have unlimited data

Lukeb5301

Reaction score
This is for 3G phones only.. It would be nice if this article would mention that 4G isn't affected..

Network Optimization

Will I be affected by Network Optimization?
Only a small percent of customers will be affected. To be affected, you must be:

A data customer on an unlimited data plan;
Have a 3G Verizon Wireless device (if you have a 4G LTE device you will not be impacted); and
Among the top 5% of data users in a given month.

Then, you will only be affected:

When you are on the 3G network; and
When you are connected to a congested cell site.

Koroz

Reaction score
Is that really a good analogy?

Perfect analogy.

You were sold a service based on the "assumption" unlimited data means you can use as much data as you want with out penalty. When you are charged the same price as someone with unlimited who uses less data then you, and because of this you are now "penalized" with slower speeds, do you feel as though you really got what you paid for?

No you didn't. They got you to join their network by selling the ability to use as much data as you want, so when people took them up on the offer they are no penalizing them for it. The only reason the responses are so kind and gentle is because it doesn't affect the majority of users but guess what! It will! Eventually when they realize they can slowly degrade services and keep charging the same or higher prices and the masses will applaud it like its some form of heroism, this type of behavior will continue.

matthew4295

Reaction score
It's not a word game, its just a fact. You signed up for unlimited data, the TOS does not promise any speed, in fact the TOS specifically states they reserve the right to throttle. It's not VZW's fault if you didn't read the TOS or simply chose to ignore it.

They're not taking away unlimited data. You can still use 200GB a month if you want and you wont get any overages. However, you will be throttled.

Yes it is their fault we didn't read that damn 500 page TOS b/c they had their team make it so long that no one would ever in the right mind sign it! If it was shorter and in PLAIN ENGLISH (not saying any of us are uneducated but you almost need law degree to understand this) we might be reading this.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Perfect analogy.

You were sold a service based on the "assumption" unlimited data means you can use as much data as you want with out penalty. When you are charged the same price as someone with unlimited who uses less data then you, and because of this you are now "penalized" with slower speeds, do you feel as though you really got what you paid for?

No you didn't. They got you to join their network by selling the ability to use as much data as you want, so when people took them up on the offer they are no penalizing them for it. The only reason the responses are so kind and gentle is because it doesn't affect the majority of users but guess what! It will! Eventually when they realize they can slowly degrade services and keep charging the same or higher prices and the masses will applaud it like its some form of heroism, this type of behavior will continue.

I think any assumption you made is your fault though. Again, you still have unlimited data and you can use 4TB of data and they cannot and will not charge you overages. In fact, people tether 60GB a month and Verizon has never charged anyone an overage. You have unlimited data, which is what you signed up for. You do not have any promised speed and you were never promised any speed.

When I signed up I understood it to mean I can use my phone to download, upload and use as much data as I want without restriction. And I still can. I didn't assume that to mean I will get a certain speed always and forever and I was never promised that.

matthew4295

Reaction score
I don't have any numbers to back this up but I would be willing to bet it takes a huge amount of data to put you in the top 5%.

I am seriously curious how much. I know they have a number (take top 5% and get the guy with the lowest amount of data usage in that category).

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes it is their fault we didn't read that damn 500 page TOS b/c they had their team make it so long that no one would ever in the right mind sign it! If it was shorter and in PLAIN ENGLISH (not saying any of us are uneducated but you almost need law degree to understand this) we might be reading this.

It's actually not 500 pages, but unfortunately even if it was the onus is on you to understand what you're signing. I know it sucks, but that's just the truth. Believe me, 99.9% of the people out there probably didn't read their TOS completely before signing, but the minute you sign you agree to it. Unless VZW knowingly violates something there's really no leg to stand on. Ignorance of something has never been an excuse in any court.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Glad they're doing it
it's consumer ideology like this that lets them get away with crap. Unlimited is unlimited, period, if you pay for it you get it... plain and simple, no throttling, nothing. I could honestly care less as I know I'm not in the top 5% however it's still not right.

You don't make a phone fast enough to stream something like netflix, then cap it, just like they did. problem is enough consumers go along with it, and they can do WHATEVER they want because, oh well it's just big red, when in reality, they only get paid if you are happy, or in this case they have you so convinced that you can't do anything about it that you just go along with it. The kool-aid served to todays consumers is rather amusing.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
it's consumer ideology like this that lets them get away with crap. Unlimited is unlimited, period, if you pay for it you get it... plain and simple, no throttling, nothing. I could honestly care less as I know I'm not in the top 5% however it's still not right.

You don't make a phone fast enough to stream something like netflix, then cap it, just like they did. problem is enough consumers go along with it, and they can do WHATEVER they want because, oh well it's just big red, when in reality, they only get paid if you are happy, or in this case they have you so convinced that you can't do anything about it that you just go along with it. The kool-aid served to todays consumers is rather amusing.

they haven't capped my data...have they capped yours?

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

so stop paying your VZW bill. You can call everyone else sheep but so long as you pay your bill, you are one in the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.