[Breaking]Verizon Plans to Slow Downloads of High Data Users Because of iPhone Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
So there's enough people tethering & downloading torrents that it's crippling Verizon's network? I doubt it.

It has nothing to do with the network being crippled. It has to do with verizon preventing people from abusing their network or their plans. If I own a gun, I can shoot people. Doesn't mean I should or that the law should allow me too. Entitled children believe verizon should let them have free reign on their network.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
Guns? Weak & terrible comparison. Carriers & ISPs miss buckets plain & simple. They want them back.

wingdo

Reaction score
Carriers & ISPs miss buckets plain & simple. They want them back.

Wireless carriers never intended their $29 unlimited data plans to replace people's $70 home internet. All the carriers OFFER LAPTOP INTERNET USB sticks, and their rates are far higher than smartphone plans. Ever wonder why? It's because your smartphone wasn't meant to be used as a home network replacement.

If you violate your Terms of Service, you should expect some sort of response from the provider. The one who violates the ToS gets throttled. I use data on my phone all the freaking time as stated above I stream music at work all day to get access to part of the Internet I don't have access to from work, but I am very confident that I will not be throttled as even with the streaming I don't use an extraordinary amount of data.

I will continue to maintain that people who break their ToS that they legally agreed to when they sign their contract (the contract cuts BOTH WAYS) should expect some sort of response from the carrier.

I would love to see some sort of breakdown of the posters in this thread to see what they do for a living and what age group they belong to. I suspect most of the people who work in the business world see nothing wrong with what VZW is doing to keep their network stable.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ouch my feelings. Hmm you can't disagree with someone without trying to insult? BTW I am entitled because I pay Verizon.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK guys, try not to be offensive. I don't want to have to pay attention to this thread all day the came is coming on in under 3 hours.

wingdo

Reaction score
& buckets of internet is not the future; it is the past. A very crappy past.

The problem is that when it costs a provider more to offer a service than they take in with charges, a service becomes umprofitable.

I am going to once again use Sprint as they have the unlimited everything plan and place no restrictions whatsoever on their user base (so far). Sprint has been operating at a loss every FY since 2007. At what point does a company say enough is enough? Catering to users by pricing themselves so they operate at a loss year after year is the fastest way to a business going under and yet that is what Sprint is doing.

So yes, I can see your point. Unlimited data is the way to go, but we're all going to end up paying a heck of a lot more for this than we currently do. If people want to be able to replace home networks with tethered 4G, or MiFi 4G, they better be ready to pay the pricing that they pay to AT&T for Uverse or Comcast. My Comcast Internet is discounted to $60-something a month because I have full HD TV package (with no pay channels), but my Comcast combined bill is still $140 a month after all the government taxes, and I **STILL** get throttled by Comcast.

Verizon isn't the big bad guy here. People violating the legally binding contracts they signed with Verizon are the bad guys, and are going to start paying for their breaking of said contract. If I were Verzon I would do the same thing to people who think nothing of breaking a legally binding contract.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
BTW I am entitled because I pay Verizon.

You are entitled to nothing more than what you legally agreed to when you signed your contract.

Exactly. What makes people think they can do things their contract doesn't allow is beyond me. That screams entitlement or little kid mentality.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ouch my feelings. Hmm you can't disagree with someone without trying to insult? BTW I am entitled because I pay Verizon.

If you're insulted by the truth, that's not my issue. You're contract, which I am assuming you signed and not mommy and daddy, clearly states you can't tether and also that verizon can throttle. Saying "wahh wahh I pay for it :*(" is weird.

lfylove

Reaction score
All this is, is another reason android user to get at the apple fan boys cant we all get along? Once they come out with a data hack android devs will come out with a way to bypass tht iphone may not be as lucky

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

wingdo

Reaction score
Once they come out with a data hack android devs will come out with a way to bypass tht iphone may not be as lucky

Again with someone else not living up to the agreement they LEGALLY signed with VZW.

People wonder why carriers are doing this? People sign a LEGAL document (it's not a pinky swear you do) with a business. If you chose to violate the terms YOU AGREED TO, the other party in the contract is fully entitled to do whatever methods they choose to employ to bring you back into compliance with the legally binding contract YOU WILLINGLY signed.

If you do not like the terms of the legal agreement you signed, DON'T FREAKING SIGN IT. If you didn't read it, that is not Verizon's fault it is strictly your fault. If you stop paying your bill, VZW will cut off your service. Why? Because you broke the agreement you legally agreed to.

This isn't a gray area people. You signed a contract, you are expected to uphold your side of what you agreed to. If you don't like the agreement, don't sign. Go to T-Mobile.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Respect guys. I've had a half hour of this now, so can we just be respectful, knock off the insults?

Thank you.

wingdo

Reaction score
If you're insulted by the truth, that's not my issue.

Just remember you are having this discussion with the following alias:
Edited by moderator.

Don't know why this was edited.

define: poontab
One who doesn't understand basic ethics of life.

Considering this conversation is about ethics, and people willing and knowingly breaking legal documents and then being all surprised when the other party gets upset and enforces their contract ..........

Status
Not open for further replies.