[Breaking]Verizon Plans to Slow Downloads of High Data Users Because of iPhone Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

wingdo

Reaction score
If you're insulted by the truth, that's not my issue.

Just remember you are having this discussion with the following alias:
Edited by moderator.

Don't know why this was edited.

define: poontab
One who doesn't understand basic ethics of life.

Considering this conversation is about ethics, and people willing and knowingly breaking legal documents and then being all surprised when the other party gets upset and enforces their contract ..........

That is straight from the top link of a google search.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is why EULA, singing contracts need to be either actually read or have someone with you that understands it.

A few years ago I actually didnt install some app on my PC because of the EULA after someone pointed it out to us in a forum.

I dont read them all but still, it pays to read completely these types of things.

wingdo

Reaction score
Respect guys. I've had a half hour of this now, so can we just be respectful, knock off the insults?

Thank you.

I normally agree with most of your posts hook, but I do not get this series. People on your forums are breaking legally binding contracts and not understanding there are consequences to doing so. This entire thread started over people getting upset that Verizon would dare to throttle data, and in the next breath state that they are using VZW's data service in a way which isnot allowed in their contract and for whatever reason they believe they can break their contract and Verizon just has to sit back and take it.

I cannot believe I am defending VZW, but considering I have to enforce network rules for living I am most certainly doing so. If someone breaks their contract, the other party is legally entitled to enforce it.

The people being disrespectful in this thread are those who are freely admitting to violating the ToS they agreed to, and coming up with new ways around it.

shaddix

Reaction score
This will have no effect. It only applies to new contracts so 95% of vz user base will be immune to it. Fail.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Respect guys. I've had a half hour of this now, so can we just be respectful, knock off the insults?

Thank you.

I normally agree with most of your posts hook, but I do not get this series. People on your forums are breaking legally binding contracts and not understanding there are consequences to doing so. This entire thread started over people getting upset that Verizon would dare to throttle data, and in the next breath state that they are using VZW's data service in a way which isnot allowed in their contract and for whatever reason they believe they can break their contract and Verizon just has to sit back and take it.

I cannot believe I am defending VZW, but considering I have to enforce network rules for living I am most certainly doing so. If someone breaks their contract, the other party is legally entitled to enforce it.

The people being disrespectful in this thread are those who are freely admitting to violating the ToS they agreed to, and coming up with new ways around it.

Look, I''m not taking sides here. And like I said I don't want to babysit the thread, but no matter how strongly you feel about someone with the entitlement issue, and I do hear you, you just can't insult them. Disagree all you want, just don't get nasty about it, that's all I'm saying.

wingdo

Reaction score
Look, I''m not taking sides here. And like I said I don't want to babysit the thread, but no matter how strongly you feel about someone with the entitlement issue, and I do hear you, you just can't insult them. Disagree all you want, just don't get nasty about it, that's all I'm saying.

I'm not the user who mentioned entitlement. All I ever said in that discussion was that the only thing the said user was entitled to was what the legally binding contract agreed to and nothing more.

I will adhere to the "respect" as everyone is deserving of that, but as someone who enforces network agreements for a living, I will not just sit idly by while some users profuse why they should be allowed to not follow the contract they signed, but VZW (or anyone for that matter) has to. A contract is a legal AGREEMENT where both parties agree to principles and stipulations, and people who do not hold up their end of the agreement should expect nothing.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
I made up Poontab in 1998. I put it in the urban dictionary as well & made up the definition.

lfylove

Reaction score
Im gueessing ur rooted ur phone or downloaded a pirated app of the internet u violated the tos to. Join the club. Rules are ment to be broken thts y its called devolping :) so calm down ur getting worked up over nothing

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Im gueessing ur rooted ur phone or downloaded a pirated app of the internet u violated the tos to. Join the club. Rules are ment to be broken thts y its called devolping :) so calm down ur getting worked up over nothing

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

There's a difference between breaking the rules knowingly and getting mad when the rules are enforced. Verizon can't stop you from rooting or tethering but they have every right to enforce the contact you signed and crying about it means nothing

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Ouch my feelings. Hmm you can't disagree with someone without trying to insult? BTW I am entitled because I pay Verizon.

You are absolutely entitled, but only to what is allowed per the TOS that YOU signed. You are NOT entitled to anything else.

wingdo

Reaction score

Yup phone is rooted so I can get a faster kernel.

Nope, not one pirated app on my phone nor on my home computer, I also get my mp3s from iTunes so they too are legal.

I am not getting "worked up" the people getting worked up are the ones who are breaking their contract and then complaining that VZW is looking for ways to bring them back in line with their contract.

"Rules are meant to be broken"????? Firstly, legal contracts (the one everyone here with service signed) are NOT meant to be broken. That's why they are legally binding. Secondly, you'd work for me for about 2 days with that attitude.

At my company, we have rules for use of the corporate network and PCs / laptops. We actively look at the high end users of b/w and data storage space. Those who get into our top 10% bracket get brought to my attention and I will actively go into their data stores and remove files which are not part of what the company allows. I've deleted 100GB from users in one fell swoop as we don't allow MP3s or movie files on the network. I don't ask, I don't inform, I just delete. They are violating the agreement they signed on the first day they became an employee. Last year while trying to determine why we had a huge b/w usage spike over the last month, we discovered a valuable employee was running a torrent server on his company computer on our company network. After much discussion between the head of HR and the employee's supervisor the supervisor wanted the person to get a warning, and HR asked me if that was acceptable as I was pushing for immediate termination. I explained that if we did not terminate the user immediately we were then condoning the pirating of music and programs and as such the business itself was now liable for copyright violations. He was dismissed about 10 minutes later. So no, I do not in anyway understand why people feel they are entitled to things which they clearly are not entitled to.

You are not entitled to use your phone however you want, you are entitled to use it within the boundaries of the CONTRACT you signed.

You are not entitled to pirate software, the people who created the s/w are entitled to be PAID for their work.

You are not entitled to illegally download music w/o paying for it, the artists, record labels etc are all entitled to be paid for their work.

You do not go into a McDonalds and walk behind the counter to grab free food, because you are not entitled to it.

I can almost always see both sides of an argument and I can usually even argue either viewpoint effectively. That said, I can in no way argue for the breaking of a signed legal contract that you WILLINGLY signed.

If you didn't like the contract, you should not have signed it. It can get no clearer than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.