Useless 4g ?

tkileh

Reaction score
So I've had 4g phones since launch of LTE on Verizon. And I've found myself turning 4G off on every phone for battery saving. Thunderbolt/Bionic/RAZR. 3g in my area (Denver) seems to load all apps just as quick and with little lag same with Browsing the web. Has anyone one else come to this conclusion. I'm starting to think its almost pointless to shell out 300$ for new 4g devices when 3g seems to keep up with the exception of big files and in that case I use Wifi anyways.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Nope. I haven't come to that conclusion at all. LTE is noticeably faster in everything for me. The speed with downloads goes without saying, but it can be a major benefit if you're out away from WiFi and need apps, music, video, or any other files quickly. The difference is also extremely pronounced when streaming audio or video. LTE is able to handle higher quality for both much more smoothly and load each far quicker. Web browsing is also noticeably faster as well, although it's not as drastic as the other things.

So, I don't agree in the slightest. LTE is totally worth it in every way over 3G.

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
I came from the iphone 3gs and its 3g was just terrible compared to the 4g on my bionic. I never turn off the 4g on my bionic, but when I'm in a 3g-only area it's just PAINFULLY slow. Even things that you wouldn't expect to take much data, like searching maps for a business, take what seems like FOREVER on 3g compared to 4g. God forbid you want to watch a video while you're on 3g, and even streaming music has more hiccups on 3g.
That's been my experience, anyway; I hope to never have to use a 3g-only device ever again.
Also I never have to worry about battery life either, though... does your battery really drain that much more quickly when you have 4g turned on?

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
I find them both worthless most of the time so I use smart actions to turn data of when on wifi. Data will spend more time disconnected than connected. When data does work they're both pretty fast, I was even able to stream HD video off my DVR w/ my Razr on 3g but 4g is way faster.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

T

TheAlpha

So what's faster: Wi-Fi or 4G?

Trash Can

Reaction score

There's no hard or fast answer. Your WiFi speed will largely depend on the home internet package you purchased. Both 3G and 4G speeds will depend on reception, location, and network congestion.

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score

As mentioned it all depends on where you're connected. At my house my Razr gets 30Mbps on wifi & maybe 5Mbps on 4g.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
As mentioned it all depends on where you're connected. At my house my Razr gets 30Mbps on wifi & maybe 5Mbps on 4g.

Yeah, it really does depend on your reception and home connection. I get pretty much the exact opposite of the above: 25-30Mbps on LTE and 5-6Mbps on WiFi. That's why I hate it when some apps force you download over WiFi. WiFi is so much slower for me.

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
I get about 10-30 mbps on 4g, 15 on my home wifi, and about 2 on 3g

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
But yeah wifi all depends on your internet package. A friend of mine has 50 mbps internet so that's what I get on his wifi. I have 15 mbps internet so that's what I see on my wifi.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

According to 802.11g Speed - How Fast Is 802.11g Wi-Fi Networking? WiFi has a maximum of 54Mbps and according to 4G LTE Advanced Tutorial :: Radio-Electronics.Com 4G LTE has a maximum of 100Mbps. As others have said, YMMV, and will probably be far less. For example, I downloaded Dungeon Hunter II on WiFi and Dungeon Hunter III on 4G. The files were about the 485mb and took about the same time.

My parents have no internet, but they do have excellent 4G. When we've gone over to visit, I've hooked the Bionic to their HDTV and watched a Netflix movie with no problems.

I have no WiFi at home and go to the Public Library if I need it (I've found that a lot of places with "free" WiFi are unable to much more than look at email). I have 4G at home so it's on all the time. If I had WiFi at home I'd probably use it as it doesn't hit my data plan.

Last edited:

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score

a6f962ca-afae-a1d1.jpg

a6f962ca-ad05-0fdc.jpg

Pretty much the same on my nexus.

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
But yeah wifi all depends on your internet package. A friend of mine has 50 mbps internet so that's what I get on his wifi. I have 15 mbps internet so that's what I see on my wifi.

I'm surprised that you get 50Mbps, the max I've got w/ my Razr is 33Mbps(that's w/ 100% signal) on my 35/35 which consistently gives my just under 45Mbps on all of computers.

Isn't the Razr supposed to do b/g/n? On one of spec list I saw said it did but I can't get to connect to n.

strollin

Reaction score
I just got my 4G capable Droid Razr and I am loving the 4G, well worth it in my opinion. My home internet connection tops out at about 1.5M, 3G on my Droid X started out at about 3M but over time I was lucky to be able to get .5M. 4G averages about 6G at my house but I have gotten as high as 10M. So if I need to DL a large file I will definitely use the 4G on my phone to do it.

bjorn65

Reaction score
I'm surprised that you get 50Mbps, the max I've got w/ my Razr is 33Mbps(that's w/ 100% signal) on my 35/35 which consistently gives my just under 45Mbps on all of computers.

Isn't the Razr supposed to do b/g/n? On one of spec list I saw said it did but I can't get to connect to n.

I have FIOS 35/35 and average 42 down 32 up. However the wifi does not reach my master bath. So I use my RAZR to watch Netflix. I average 17 down, 12 up. Can't complain.