Unable to get 3G/4G connection unless I FORCE it via Smart Action. Strange or normal?

Morydees

Reaction score
I've been very happy with Smart Actions and how great they work at saving battery. However, I need 4G to be active all the time for a few days (instead of just when the screen is on) so I disabled the smart action for it. After doing that, I can't connect to anything other than the base connection (no 3G/4G) even after a reboot and manual check to make sure the CDMA setting is correct.

The ONLY way to get 3G/4G back currently is to either re-enable my original smart action or create two new ones that say "Display On = 4G On" and "Display Off = 4G On" so it's always on. I would be fine with that except each time the display turns on it DROPS and reconnects as it switches between actions. Argh...so frustrating. Anyone have any ideas to try? Thanks in advance!

RAZR on 2.3.5 (no OTA yet), stock and not rooted.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I've been very happy with Smart Actions and how great they work at saving battery. However, I need 4G to be active all the time for a few days (instead of just when the screen is on) so I disabled the smart action for it. After doing that, I can't connect to anything other than the base connection (no 3G/4G) even after a reboot and manual check to make sure the CDMA setting is correct.

The ONLY way to get 3G/4G back currently is to either re-enable my original smart action or create two new ones that say "Display On = 4G On" and "Display Off = 4G On" so it's always on. I would be fine with that except each time the display turns on it DROPS and reconnects as it switches between actions. Argh...so frustrating. Anyone have any ideas to try? Thanks in advance!

RAZR on 2.3.5 (no OTA yet), stock and not rooted.

Kill the Smart Actions WHILE the data is on and active. Then install Data Enabler Widget. I found it works perfectly for me to turn on data any time on-demand. I can't say why your phone is now acting strangely due to the Smart Actions, but give this possible work-around a try and report back with your success.

Good luck!

;)

OP
M

Morydees

Reaction score
Kill the Smart Actions WHILE the data is on and active. Then install Data Enabler Widget. I found it works perfectly for me to turn on data any time on-demand. I can't say why your phone is now acting strangely due to the Smart Actions, but give this possible work-around a try and report back with your success.

Good luck!

;)

Thanks for the advice. I do kill it while the connection is active and it actually shuts my 4G/3G off completely when I do it! That's the part that really confuses me. I've even tried deleting all the smart actions. I do have a one-click Data Enabler but I'll give that one a shot!

OP
M

Morydees

Reaction score
A quick followup: That Data Enabler app worked perfectly! Not sure why manually enabling it via settings was giving me issues but I'll take it. Thanks again FoxKat.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
A quick followup: That Data Enabler app worked perfectly! Not sure why manually enabling it via settings was giving me issues but I'll take it. Thanks again FoxKat.

Very happy that the tool worked for you! I also don't know why the direct method of either settings or airplane mode toggle works less effectively than the widget, but like you said... "I'll take it."

:icon_ lala:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Thanks for the advice. I do kill it while the connection is active and it actually shuts my 4G/3G off completely when I do it! That's the part that really confuses me. I've even tried deleting all the smart actions. I do have a one-click Data Enabler but I'll give that one a shot!

I would be interested in looking at all your smart actions to see if there's a possibility of a conflict since disabling the actions causes the data connections to go down. Are you sure there's not another smart action with a "Celluar Data" set to "Disable" that could be conflicting. It would stand to reason if there were.

Also, in your OP, you said;

"The ONLY way to get 3G/4G back currently is to either re-enable my original smart action or create two new ones that say "Display On = 4G On" and "Display Off = 4G On"."
I went into my Smart Actions and I can't see an option for an action that is related to "4G". Perhaps I'm missing something? :blink:

OP
M

Morydees

Reaction score
Hmm, I actually removed all my Smart Actions entirely and was still having the issue so I don't think a conflict in them would be the issue. As far as a 4G option I just meant the equivalent that turns that on which is Cellular Data. My bad!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Hmm, I actually removed all my Smart Actions entirely and was still having the issue so I don't think a conflict in them would be the issue. As far as a 4G option I just meant the equivalent that turns that on which is Cellular Data. My bad!

OK, so what I mean was that perhaps you might have had another Smart Action set up to disable Cellular Data but weren't aware of it, and if they were set to do the opposite, one might be waiting for the opportunity to take over once the other one was removed.

For instance, if you had one set to
WiFi Connection - Home Active = Cellular Data Off​

and yet you had another that was set to
Display on = Cellular Data On​

the second one might be the higher priority (I have yet to identify what ranks higher in priorities with the triggers but there must be some heirarchy), but once you removed it the first one with the lower priority would jump in and turn Cellular Data off again unbeknownst to you. Obviously if you removed ALL Smart Actions, that couldn't be the case.

Just a hunch.

;)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Smart Actions>menu>help

There's some good info towards the bottom about how conflicts are resolved.

Men don't read instructions... (speaking for me only, of course LOL!)

I really need to do that more often. Thanks TC for the "gentle" reminder! ;)

Blossom151

Reaction score
Men don't read instructions... (speaking for me only, of course LOL!)

I really need to do that more often. Thanks TC for the "gentle" reminder! ;)

•°~°•very proud of you for saying that...not many would do so!
LOL

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums