USB connection issues, tethering and rooting questions.

JMitchMcCauley

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I need some help with my brand new DROID 4. This thing does everything I want it it to however, when I attach my phone to tether and transfer files, I lose my live wallpaper (it reverts to the default wallpaper that is there when you first buy the phone) as well as changes my notifications for EVERYTHING (Facebook messenger, all of my ringtones, email notifications etc) I have Ringo light as my ringtone manager. Pretty much everything is reverted to default, one odd thing that i noticed was it changes my notifications to my music that is on my SD card. It makes me want to avoid even hooking this beast up to my computer.

My phone is NOT rooted, which leads me to my next question, is it frowned upon here to ask for the ROM packages to root my phone? Or one of those tap to root apps.... Word around the campfire is that some genius got the boot loader unlocked on this fine piece of machinery and I would like to take full advantage of it. I am waiting any moment now to get my account flagged for data usage on my phone. I use PDA net to tether off my phone, so I am wondering if I need to be rooted in order to avoid the inevitable, but I am living at a place where it is nearly impossible to get the internet here... I am a full time student and I MUST not lose my sacred internets..

If anyone can help me out with these questions it would be much appreciated. I am about to peruse the forums with things that i have found out about this life changing device.

Thanks again!

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

reybie

Reaction score
First, the rooting part. There is a stickied post in the hacking section that shows you how to do it. Simple really as long as you follow the instructions. I don't know (I haven't looked in a while) if there's a one-root solution yet. Also, I am not sure about the bootloader part of it being compromised yet.

Anyways, before you do any of that. Bring the phone to a verizon store or connect it to another computer and see if the same behavior is observed. If it does the same thing at the store, ask for a replacement if they can't figure out why it's doing that.

That would be my suggestion :)

Dave Lister

Reaction score
If your wallpaper is not one that came with the phone, that would explain the problem you're having with it. The internal storage cannot be accessed by your phone and computer at the same time, so when it's plugged into your computer, your phone is not able to see the wallpaper and reverts to the default.