Upgrade from original droid to Droid X?

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
So the holidays are coming and I've been thinking, should I swap my original moto droid 1 for the Droid X?

My reasons would be:

it's newer/faster

it doesn't have a physical keyboard which means its thinner/lighter(which I love)

Negative reasons:

Cost money to switch

I know my droid 1 very well

I have a very nice case already, ill have to buy a new one for the Droid X

I don't like the red button on the Droid X

I haven't tried the Droid X navigation buttons, but I have a feeling I wont like pushing them instead of just touching them like on the droid 1.

Seems like there are a few more cons than pros, but overall the thinner/lighter droid X is a big deal for me.

I really think the major set back of the original moto droid is that its heavy/thick because of the unnecessary(for me) physical keyboard.

Convince me to either get the X or not to, thanks guys.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
lol seriously the red button? (nitpicking aren't we? lol)

Have you checked out the other phones; the galaxy s, the incredible, droid 2?

Each phone of course has their pros and cons, but all I, and most likely we all, recommend is going to the store and trying them out for yourself. I'm not sure if there are many more models coming out or not, but the phones available are a pretty significant upgrade. I just recently upgraded from the Droid to the Inc and am still impressed, i haven't even rooted yet.

OP
Liderc

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm only looking at the Droid X, I dont like any of the other ones that are available. I've had my Droid 1 since the day it came out, so a little over a year now.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm only looking at the Droid X, I dont like any of the other ones that are available. I've had my Droid 1 since the day it came out, so a little over a year now.

Then I guess you've already decided right? lol.

Droid 2 and Global are similar to your droid if you want to stick with the same kind of phone with the updated motoblur and faster specs.

OP
Liderc

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've already stated the weight and physical keyboard is what I dislike about the droid 1, so getting the droid 2 or global would not be wise.

And I haven't decided, that's why I'm here asking if I should keep my Droid 1 for another year or go ahead with the Droid X.

The decision is not which Droid I want to switch to, but rather should I make the switch to the droid X.

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
well as other threads have stated if your going to switch then go ahead bc we arent looking at any other phones being released till the 1st quarter of next yr when the 4g line comes out....so you have made up your mind already so go get you one not much to it

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well again that's a personal preference thing.

Have you rooted and flashed roms on your phone? If you did and enjoy it, i recommend you stick with the droid, the X doesn't have many options when it comes to root/rom last i saw.

If you're stock kernel and need a change, and if you're comfortable doing it, i recommend you root and flash a rom, it's almost like a whole new phone. I got tired of flashing roms so i ended up upgrading to the incredible. I rooted my incredible to get some functionalities that only work with root, but i'll probably be flashing this fairly soon.

OP
Liderc

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
You guys keep saying I've already decided. If I had decided, I wouldn't have made the post. The point of the post was to have some details about the Droid X brought to light for me, I have not decided I even need to switch, hence the question.

Reaction score
Sounds like you just want a new gadget. If you don't need a new phone don't get it. If you need it that bad, just go play with them till you find one you like. As for that pesky red button........ Yeah.....

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i think dezy was just trying to give some alternative choices to balance out some of the negatives you perceive in the DX. if you've limited your choices to keeping the D1 or going with the DX, then the only advice anyone can really give is: go to a VZW store and play with the DX for a while. otherwise, all you're going to get are opinions colored by other people's personal preferences. in the end, it's your personal preferences and parameters that count the most.

and not to complicate matters further, but if you're really not completely sold on the DX, there's a lot of rumors floating around (you can find several threads in the news section) about Moto/VZW releasing a dual core Tegra 2 droid phone in early 2011 - dual core 1 ghz processors, 4" screen, ff camera, LTE capable (possibly) no physical keyboard. a lot of people (myself included) are pretty excited about the possibility. i'm not going to upgrade from my D1 until i see what the dual core/LTE phones have to offer.

just fwiw...

EDIT: and, remember, VZW has a 30 day return policy if you get the X and decide it's not what you were looking for.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
You guys keep saying I've already decided. If I had decided, I wouldn't have made the post. The point of the post was to have some details about the Droid X brought to light for me, I have not decided I even need to switch, hence the question.

well what kind of details are you looking for?

you stated you never used the physical navigation buttons on the X, this tells us, or at least tells me, you've never held the device. it's honestly hard to tell someone what we recommend when you haven't even used the device, let alone held one.

choosing a phone is a personal choice, we all agree on some things and disagree on others. some of us, including myself, do not like motoblur, but like HTC sense. some don't like the added on UI and rather have a vanilla android.
some of us switched from the original droid to the X and didn't like the physical key buttons at first....all a matter of personal preference.

since you have the X in mind, but have not really had any time with the device I recommend you head to the store and try it out. ask if you can see a dummy phone and see how it feels in your pocket, or if one of the employees has the device. use the phone almost as you would your own and see if you like the experience, THEN if you have any questions on the device we can further help you.

OP
Liderc

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help Husker, exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Looks like it might be worth it to hold out and at least see if there is something that could rival the pros of the X within the first quarter of '11.

Dezy, maybe spend less time trolling the forums, you're definitely a bit putting off in your tone; I actually came to the forums sincerely looking for help and your attitude definitely made me think twice about ever coming here again for advice.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Thanks for the help Husker, exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Looks like it might be worth it to hold out and at least see if there is something that could rival the pros of the X within the first quarter of '11.

Dezy, maybe spend less time trolling the forums, you're definitely a bit putting off in your tone; I actually came to the forums sincerely looking for help and your attitude definitely made me think twice about ever coming here again for advice.

I don't know how I'm coming off as a "troll", but I'm sorry you feel that way. I just voiced my opinion like you were asking us. Had you asked a more specific question then maybe I could have helped out better. You were asking us to convince you to stick with your droid or switch to a new phone, I can make suggestions, which I feel I did, but I can't decide for you what phone you want especially if you've had such little or no demonstration with the phone you are considering.

When I switched to the incredible I did my research, went to the store and tried one out as how I would use it most of my day, then sat on it for a week thinking if I should upgrade to it. I pulled the trigger and got my Incredible and no regrets ever since.

I hope you do come back to this forum as it is very helpful. If you don't like me for any reason feel free to put me on your ignore list (if we do have one) otherwise I'll be sure to avoid your threads.

dasanman69

Reaction score
Stay with the OG Droid. Especially if you're into rooting and running ROMs. Not even the D2 has made me wanna switch. Rumor has it VZW might get the Nexus S. So wait a lil while longer.

bheath101

Reaction score
I got a Droid 1 where is the red button? Are you talking about thedroid eye on the splash screen?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App