Waiting for Droid 3, or X2. But whats difference between Droid 2 and X?

jacobbones

Reaction score
I am in the market for a phone and see that the droid 3 and the droid X2 may or may not be coming out soon.

But I was wondering in general what the differences between the Droid 2 and the Droid X are? Besides the Screen size and the physical keyboard.
Does one do anything different then the other? You guys have used them so you know better than me.

Main reason Im wondering about the difference is that the Droid 3 has an actual keyboard which I like and want in a phone.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Well, its the hardware keyboard and the screen size...other than those two things, the phones are identical in core components.

Its basically the same thing with the DX2 and the D3..the X2 will not have a FFC and the D3 will...most everything else is the same...

Last edited:
OP
J

jacobbones

Reaction score
How good are touch keyboards on droids?

Im using an enV touch and the touch screen on that is junk. Every 3rd monday it will open what I want it to and the rest of the time I have to guess if I need to hit above it, to left etc to icon. If it responds at all.

My Env touch is what makes me worry about no keyboard

BodyBagz

Reaction score
I have had to full touch screen phones...the Original HTC Touch on Verizon and now my Droid X...I will never have a phone with a hardware keyboard again. The keyboards add weight, bulk and more options for faulty hardware to appear. As well, the 4.3" screen on the Droid X renders the Qwerty keyboard in a larger layout than what is offered on most hardware keyboard phones, making texting/typing easier to me....

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Must admit I am finding myself in a dilema as far as do I wait for the Droid 3 or do I get an X2?

npro1464

Reaction score
Yeah I got fooled into buying the enV touch two years ago by a Verizon rep. I've since gotten a Droid 1. There's a big difference b/t the enV's touchscreen and any Android phone's. My D1 is harder to type on, but I blame the physical size of the thing (3.7 inches). The bigger the screen, the easier to type.

Oowoon

Reaction score
I find it very easy to type on my droid 2 keyboard. Faster than I could on my EnV 2.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
and Swype makes it even faster.....I loved my D1 coming from the Env Touch and love my D2 coming from my D1.

xguy

Reaction score
You just can't go wrong with droid x. been on mine since oct 2010 and i absolutely love it. I too was concerned about having a physical keyboard, but i tried the x and the D2 while in the verizon store and the onscreen kb on the x was large and so very responsive that I decided within 2 minutes and I haven't regretted it. Then it gets even better when you download Smart Keyboard Pro and Handcent Messaging apps. They both have nearly unlimited options and really put their stock counterparts to shame. My X does everything I need it to do and I don't see me wanting any other phone any time soon.(and believe me, that's saying something, as I always have to have the latest and greatest)

Recently downloaded the leaked version of Gingerbread (not rooted) and now I like it even better. they've made some nice changes, like 3 profiles (each with 7 home screens for a total of 21) and a "reply with text" feature that, when you ignore a call, opens your quick text list and you can send the ignored caller a text with 2 key strokes. my old LG enVytouch had this feature and I have missed it.

kobriandthemoon

Reaction score
I am curious as to where you got this "leaked" version of Gingerbread? HELP! Cause there is no way I'm rooting my phone, but anything to help it run better would be great...not that it doesn't run great already, I love it :) but you can't go wrong with EVEN BETTER!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

kobriandthemoon

Reaction score
I am curious as to where you got this "leaked" version of Gingerbread? HELP! Cause there is no way I'm rooting my phone, but anything to help it run better would be great...not that it doesn't run great already, I love it :) but you can't go wrong with EVEN BETTER!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

xguy

Reaction score
I got it from here

Motorola Droid X Gingerbread Update Can Be Manually Installed

about 2 weeks ago. install was simple and only took maybe 15-20 minutes. just read the posts (there are quite a few) about how it's done. the install is kinda particular about how the file is renamed (you'll see how i got around it in my posts, as "obearden" on the site (keep scrolling down quite a ways) it's really nothing) but other than that it's simple. still having no problems or regrets. all my apps and contacts were right there after the install. it was almost effortless. good luck, let me know how it went for you.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
If you're buying a new one, the Droid 2 is now the Droid 2 Global. Beyond the obvious physical differences, there are two main differences betwee the Droid 2 Global and the X.

1. The Droid 2 Global is a global phone. It has a GSM radio and can be used just about anywhere in the world. The X only has a CDMA radio.

2. The processor on the Droid 2 Global is clocked at 1.2 ghz out of the box, while the Droid X is at 1 ghz. Not a big deal considering you can easily root and bump the X up there as well, but if you're not a rooter, you've got a slight speed bump.

loki993

Reaction score
and Swype makes it even faster.....I loved my D1 coming from the Env Touch and love my D2 coming from my D1.

Yeah Swype is awesome.

The X and the D2 are basically the same hardware wise, the X has a little newer processor running a little faster, 1.2 vs 1.0, there is also some HD video thing that the X processor will do that the one in the D2 wont. That may sound like a lot but its not I dont think. They should be on par performance wise.

Basically it comes down to weather or not you want a real keyboard, or in my case which one was cheaper lol. Now that I have it though I really like the size of the D2. Im coming from a Blackberry so Im terrible on the keyboard. I actually use the touchscreen more, with Swype of course.