Upgrade Available after only 6 Months

scottocs

Reaction score
I bought my Bionic on November 1, 2011.
Today, I received an email today from Verizon with the subject "Congratulations - You've earned a new phone!"

I thought that you were supposed to wait 2 years until you were eligible to receive an upgrade at the discounted price.

Well what do you guys think I should do? What would you do?

Wait for ICS on Bionic or get a new phone, and if a new phone, which phone should I get?

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Well no rush, maybe just hang on to the upgrade and see what else comes out. Unless you dont like the Bionic..

Caesars

Reaction score
Are you sure it isn't a third party retailer or Verizon saying "add a line"?

OP
S

scottocs

Reaction score
Are you sure it isn't a third party retailer or Verizon saying "add a line"?

Yea I checked my family's account and it said Upgrade available 5/23/2012.
I'll probably just wait for ICS and keep my phone as long as I can.
I bought the car dock, desk dock, and extended battery. (Car dock and extended battery for 50% off retail).

shadowsjc

Reaction score
keep in mind if you are on the grandfathered unlimited data plan, you will lose that as soon as you upgrade. maybe this is Verizon's way of tricking people into losing their unlimited 4G?

i don't think i'll be upgrading even if they give me the option to. i'm not a huge fan of the Bionic (lately been getting really really bad battery life), but i tend to think this is due to an app rather than the phone itself. i'll keep this Bionic and just pay full price for my next phone

hodgewdm

Reaction score
A friend of mine just upgraded to the Razr from his DX and he was able to keep his unlimited data. He upgraded thru Best Buy..

shadowsjc

Reaction score
I guess that the switchover away from unlimited data happens in July. Maybe I'll upgrade before then if they let me

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Boy, they're selective with who they take care of and who they don't. I'm eligible on 5/13/13 - almost another year. I just checked.

And I bought my Bionic before the OP did.

EDIT: I've actually NEVER had good luck with VZW as far as early upgrades go. I had a Blackberry break 1 day before my upgrade date, and they tried to make me file an insurance claim, rather than simply allow me an upgrade one day early. Said their system wouldn't let them (VZW corporate). Sad, since i've bought more devices for full retail price from them than anyone I know. You'd think they would hook me up with a deal for once.

nateohio

Reaction score
shadowsjc said:
keep in mind if you are on the grandfathered unlimited data plan, you will lose that as soon as you upgrade. maybe this is Verizon's way of tricking people into losing their unlimited 4G?

i don't think i'll be upgrading even if they give me the option to. i'm not a huge fan of the Bionic (lately been getting really really bad battery life), but i tend to think this is due to an app rather than the phone itself. i'll keep this Bionic and just pay full price for my next phone

Total myth! I've upgraded my phone twice on two separate lines with unlimited data and have not had any issues

zirkdog

Reaction score
Boy, they're selective with who they take care of and who they don't. I'm eligible on 5/13/13 - almost another year. I just checked.

And I bought my Bionic before the OP did.

EDIT: I've actually NEVER had good luck with VZW as far as early upgrades go. I had a Blackberry break 1 day before my upgrade date, and they tried to make me file an insurance claim, rather than simply allow me an upgrade one day early. Said their system wouldn't let them (VZW corporate). Sad, since i've bought more devices for full retail price from them than anyone I know. You'd think they would hook me up with a deal for once.

I believe most of these "Deals" are sent out as a regional thing, as opposed to a "who is the best customer." When the RAZR was making it's big debut, I remember the boards lighting up about emails going out offering people early upgrades coincidentally just in time for the RAZR release. It appeared to be a regional promotion at that time.

zirkdog

Reaction score
shadowsjc said:
It's been pretty well covered that Verizon is changing their plans in order to phase out older "grandfathered" unlimited data contracts starting this summer:

Verizon unlimited-data customers can keep plans -- with a caveat - latimes.com

Keep in mind those plans are only rumored at this time and they have not been put into effect. No where have they said that you will lose your unlimited data for an upgrade before they are put into place.

shadowsjc

Reaction score
Keep in mind those plans are only rumored at this time and they have not been put into effect. No where have they said that you will lose your unlimited data for an upgrade before they are put into place.

Right, I meant if you upgrade after the date, not before. I myself will probably upgrade before the date if given the option. I had originally (incorrectly) believed that the new rumored change had already taken place.

niteperson

Reaction score
I received an early upgrade promo a couple months back. I had a Droid X and they wanted me off 3G and on to 4G/LTE.

rduckwor

Reaction score
Sprint is looking better and better. VZW has extracted enough money from me.

RMD