A question for Bionic owners...

GeneralZod

Reaction score
I've been following this forum for a while. The Bionic seems like a very strong device, with the typical set of issues that plague a new phone, all of which will likely be addressed by the patch in early November. If battery life wasn't an issue (I have no problems keeping my phone charged, car, work, home, etc.) and you were up for an upgrade today (I'm eligible for an upgrade from my DX), would you...

Thanks.

Last edited:

akhi216

Reaction score
As of today, there's nothing to upgrade to.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
GeneralZod

GeneralZod

Reaction score
As of today, there's nothing to upgrade to.
I'm not sure if your response is meant to be tongue in cheek. My reference to an upgrade, was the fact that I'm eligible for an upgrade from current DX.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd say the Prime as you'd be getting the latest phone then. There is a problem as you're making a decision on 3 phones and only one is available to get real owner's opinions. Me, I'm happy with my Bionic.

gmorgan056

Reaction score
I like my Bionic, except for Data issues, no problems for me. Battery life is pretty good. But if I were you, then I'd wait til the nexus is out and play with all the phones and then determine which i liked.

DroidAxiom

Reaction score
I upgraded from the OG about 3 days before the razr and the prime was announced and I still feel like the my Bionic was a worthy upgrade.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
I'd say the Prime as you'd be getting the latest phone then. There is a problem as you're making a decision on 3 phones and only one is available to get real owner's opinions. Me, I'm happy with my Bionic.

+1. What he said. I'm happy with my Bionic. If you're up for an upgrade today and don't wanna wait a few more weeks for the newer handsets to come out, I'd get the Bionic. But if you can wait, and there's not much waiting left as they're all due out soon, why not wait to see your other options first hand? Of course, you'd have to wait a few more weeks after that to see what these phones would be like in the real world, and for all we know they'll have the same/similar issues as the Bionic. But it doesn't hurt to wait anyway.

akhi216

Reaction score
I'm not sure if your response is meant to be tongue in cheek. My reference to an upgrade, was the fact that I'm eligible for an upgrade from current DX.

Ok my bad then. I thought that you already had a Bionic and was interested in upgrading at full retail value to something else. Carry on.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

There are issues with the bionic, 4g/3g loss and the black screen of death issue. Hopefully, those will be addressed in the OTA update in a couple of weeks. For now, I'm rooted and running a liberty rom and I have had no problems since then. If I may make a suggestion, edit your original post, just to clarify that you have a dx and you want to know if the bionic is a good phone to upgrade to.

sent from my liberated bionic using tapatalk

Last edited:

HorsePony

Reaction score
Love my Bionic.
Really do, and not just saying that to placate myself and my decision...LOL. Bought it on the day it dropped.

I got a little giddy when hearing about the RZR, but when I heard that there was no removable battery, it ended up being a deal breaker to even dream about.
Funny thing...I never owned two batteries for a single phone in my life. I only have a second one handy for the Bionic because it came "free" with my Costco Bionic bundle purchase. Never thought I would use it...even told my GF "yeah, got this too, but I don't know what I would ever use it for."

That was my ignorance. I LOVE being at work all day and then heading out somewhere afterward if necessary...draining battery with whatever I'm needing to do throughout the day. But when I get home and either need to go running, using RunKeeper and Spotify on some long runs, or using my phone when my GF has "Private Practice" on the tube, it's AWESOME to walk in the door, flip out batteries, and voila! - instant 100% juice satisfaction!

I know you said battery life is a non-issue for you...but I'm just saying it's the one aspect that has made the RZR instantly unattractive to me.

Happy, so happy, with my little machine to rule all machines. LOL

OP
GeneralZod

GeneralZod

Reaction score
Ok my bad then. I thought that you already had a Bionic and was interested in upgrading at full retail value to something else. Carry on.
No worries.

If I may make a suggestion, edit your original post, just to clarify that you have a dx and you want to know if the bionic is a good phone to upgrade to.
Done. Thanks.

Scribble

Reaction score
Hard to answer... I love my Bionic, even with the current problems. (I'm pretty sure the OTA will solve most or all of the ones I've experienced, as the Original Droids first OTA solved most of the early issues it was having.)

If I was up for an upgrade right now... I might be tempted to wait for the Prime, since it's the latest and greatest, and out of the box has ICS- But I like motorola. Despite a few glitches in the early life of the phone I feel like they make pretty solid products... Not sure if I'd wait for the RAZR though.

sfcascooter

Reaction score
I returned my Bionic to Costco and got a DInc for $30 off of Craigslist to tide me over until the Nov/Dec phones are out. The camera was just dreadful (the video recording was awesome). I had 3 kids with birthdays since the Bionic launched and the indoor photos are so bad. The DInc camera did so much better (video was no where close to the Bionic). I also picked up and OG Droid for $35 off of Craigslist (using it like and iPod touch for my 3 year old) and the 5MP camera there is better (again, video was no where close to the Bionic).

I know many people do not care about the cell phone camera -- but I am trying to have one device (prior to the Bionic I carried a BB Tour and a iPod Touch 4G) -- so camera is really important to me. The 20 minute unboxing video of the GNex (I can understand Italian) really got me excited for the camera in that device.

So, I am going to limp along with the DInc (ugh, buffering all day long on Netflix) until the camera reviews are out on the Razr/Rezound/GNex and get the best device with the best camera -- unless of course Costco has a rager accessories deal again -- then I may wait and get something there if I am sure that the next device will be out in the 14 days.

McGyver777

Reaction score
Nov patch fixes most things, especially radios. And you also need to make sure you havent added a battery saving program or set any task manager to extreme settings as that does cause connectivity problems cutting off programs needed to maintain connections. Nov patch also makes battery last tons longer I hear.

After the Nov patch and then Dec or Jan we get ice cream sandwich...well bionic will be a must have phone...extended and replaceable battery, check. Huge Screen visible outside in sunlight, check. Dual core (which ICS is gonna make phone even faster cause it utilizes dual core), check. Easy to repair (ifixit, 9 out of 10, glass not fused to LCD), check....bionic owners have tons to look forward to in the coming months.

There is also an app that restarts connections, in marketplace, that many have said fixed their data issues.

Mine is honestly great now even without the patch, airplane mode from time to time to reset radios but nothing a quick couple taps doesnt fix...and the future holds SO much promise!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums