To Bionic owners, and/or Tbolt to Bionic owners

AlexSB

Reaction score
Hey everyone, it's been a long time since I been on these forums (I was involved in the D2 section). I have a thunderbolt so I've been over at Thunderboltforums

Well basically I'm getting fed up with my Tbolt and I called verizon today and they are offering me a new bionic at new contract price, thus extending the period I would have for my upgrade.

I'm not really interested in the RAZR, nor the Nexus coming up.

To the Tbolt owner's who now have bionics, is this the same deal that was offered? How are you now that you've switched?

To everyone, how do you feel about the Bionic? Do you feel like it's a phone that'll get me through my extended period inbetween upgrade if I go with it (maybe around a year or so)? How's the dev support?

Thanks everyone, any comments/opinions are greatly accepted.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Graymayre

Reaction score
The Bionic is an excellent phone if you can deal with the quirks til the update rolls out. The hardware is rock solid. I got over the diagonal pixels pretty quick. But of course you wont have Sense.

The answer is 42.
Oh, wait, you mean to tell me you need to know the question now?
Well, I can't answer that.

OP
AlexSB

AlexSB

Reaction score

rdgxray

Reaction score
I have only had the bionic a week. It seems like a great phone. Now the bad stuff : many people have connection problems (I came from the charge, it did the same thing ) seems to be a problem with all the new 4g phones. It didn't bother me that much with charge or with bionic. Some people are irate and return the phone. If you only have 3g in your area, might be better to go with a nice 3g phone if data hiccups would be a big problem. Screen : some people hate the screen. Say they see grid lines or pixels. I had it a week and just saw a beautiful qHD screen. A little less vibrant colors from the fascinate or charge. Then I saw it while watching a youtube video, grid lines. I have seen them a couple other times, never bothered me any. 99% of the time I just see a great screen. Lots of people took theirs back due to this. Software : buggy ...usable. There is a patch coming that supposedly is gonna fix a lot of stuff. Some people cannot wait and demand perfection. They take it back. It was released in September, 2 months to update? Doesn't sound bad to me. Some updates take 6 months or a year. Radio shack supposedly stop selling them and only replaces them with other phones. Camera : supposedly problems here also. I have used it seems to work. Not a problem for me. All and all I am pretty happy with it. Hopefully with good support from Motorola, it just gets better. This is after 1 week though.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
AlexSB

AlexSB

Reaction score
The Bionic is an excellent phone if you can deal with the quirks til the update rolls out. The hardware is rock solid. I got over the diagonal pixels pretty quick. But of course you wont have Sense.

The answer is 42.
Oh, wait, you mean to tell me you need to know the question now?
Well, I can't answer that.

Thanks, that's very good to know about the hardware.

About the display, compared to a Tbolt, how different is it?

Yea, no sense isn't a deal breaker, I can live without it.

How's the dev support? Does it look promising?

PS LOL @ your sig

rdgxray

Reaction score
Bionic watches the light brightness in the area and adjust the screen to keep it visible. Both fascinate or charge didn't have this and I had to adjust brightness occasionally. For people who work outside or work in variable lighting conditions, this might be an incredible positive. I like just being able to see the screen wherever I am.

OP
AlexSB

AlexSB

Reaction score
I have only had the bionic a week. It seems like a great phone. Now the bad stuff : many people have connection problems (I came from the charge, it did the same thing ) seems to be a problem with all the new 4g phones. It didn't bother me that much with charge or with bionic. Some people are irate and return the phone. If you only have 3g in your area, might be better to go with a nice 3g phone if data hiccups would be a big problem. Screen : some people hate the screen. Say they see grid lines or pixels. I had it a week and just saw a beautiful qHD screen. A little less vibrant colors from the fascinate or charge. Then I saw it while watching a youtube video, grid lines. I have seen them a couple other times, never bothered me any. 99% of the time I just see a great screen. Lots of people took theirs back due to this. Software : buggy ...usable. There is a patch coming that supposedly is gonna fix a lot of stuff. Some people cannot wait and demand perfection. They take it back. It was released in September, 2 months to update? Doesn't sound bad to me. Some updates take 6 months or a year. Radio shack supposedly stop selling them and only replaces them with other phones. Camera : supposedly problems here also. I have used it seems to work. Not a problem for me. All and all I am pretty happy with it. Hopefully with good support from Motorola, it just gets better. This is after 1 week though.

Thanks for the post!

I live in a 4g area and have 4g pretty much anywhere I go, DC to Bmore and inbetween.

The screen is kind of what it getting at me. I know you said you don't have any problems with it, well very few, how is it compared to the D2 or the Droid X? What about compared to a thunderbolt?

Oh I know what it is waiting for updates, took like 4-5 months for Tbolt to get android 2.3, that's why I rooted and rommed =)

nateohio

Reaction score
I can't compare the tbolt and bionic screens but I can say that I like the bionic screen. I can however compare it to the x or d2. The bionic screen isn't as pretty, but is far more usable in varying light conditions.

As far as Dev support, the bionic already has a good network built up of established devs, and its growing at an increasing rate.

The gripes you hear about are mostly people that have unrealistic expectations of a first of its kind, initial release phone.

Last edited:

rdgxray

Reaction score
I can only compare the screen to the fascinate or charge. It is less vibrant. The resolution is better and being able to see the screen in variable conditions is great. Youtube videos in HQ are full screen and look awesome. Angry birds looks better than it ever did on other phones. Definitely go check out one before you buy it. It may take awhile to see the lines. I told my friend about the screen problem and she saw it right away. She is 20. I am 44 and already wear reading glasses. It is hard for me to see. I am a xray tech. I can see fine grid lines in films. I have to point them out to doctors. I also am a gamer and can tell the difference between different resolutions. I have to have a game on highest resolution or the quality bugs me. I can tell this screen is crisp and sharp. Looks great.

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
Love my Bionic.
Had it since day 1 and I can say it's the best device I've ever owned (I've owned the OG Droid, the X and now the Bionic)

Get it, you'll love it.

WavelandAve

Reaction score
The deal VZW gave me for my bolt was a refurb bionic straight up. I went through 3 bolts in like 5 months & finally told em thats it.

I've had my bionic for about a month & love it. Only issue I've had is the data problem, but toggle airplane mode & it works. Screen on bionic is better, I don't need a 20 lb battery to get through the day, & its not a thundereboot..so happy I don't have that POS anymore :)

OP
AlexSB

AlexSB

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your inputs! After an interesting call, they are sending me out a replacement Bionic, so I'll be back to DroidForums =)

cville

Reaction score
One of the biggest reason leaving the Tbolt was the battery life. The extended battery on the bionic is slim enough to live with. Once you get a full day from the extended battery you forget all about the size. I have gone from droid 1 to droid 2 to Tbolt to bionic and I can finally say I am happy.

OP
AlexSB

AlexSB

Reaction score
One of the biggest reason leaving the Tbolt was the battery life. The extended battery on the bionic is slim enough to live with. Once you get a full day from the extended battery you forget all about the size. I have gone from droid 1 to droid 2 to Tbolt to bionic and I can finally say I am happy.

You know what, funny that you mention the extended battery, I was offered an extended battery but I chose to go with the regular battery.

How much more bulk does the extended battery add to the bionic compared to the TB extended battery?