Prospective Bionic owner, few questions

RacingTiger03

Reaction score
as far as the screen, I think I can shed some light on it for you. The screen.. well... if you have 20/10 or 20/15 vision and have your phone within half an arms length or less watching movies or browsing the web for long periods of time (I happen to fall into this category) It will drive you nuts.... when you do the above. I'm somewhat of a graphics/videoquality nut, and do NOT like settling on screen quality. The bionics really is not THAT bad... but yellows (I know most say greens look bad) look brown... hope you don't like angry birds cause that game shows every single fault in the pentile QHD in the bionic, so much that I only play it on my wife's incredible if I choose to lol. Other than all that.. the screen honestly is not that bad, and because of its viewability in bright light situations I love it.. and chuckle at people trying to find the shade to see their screens now :). It's really not noticeable in daily use.. now if you are coming from a superamoled (I know OP isn't) then I don't recommend it at all.. and seriously if you wanna watch a movie for it's HD quality a phone isn't the place to do it.. 4.3" screen REALLY isn't the place to do it lol. that said, I find myself picking out every single pixel and off-color when I'm up close to it *shrug* probably wasn't the best choice for me personally but I can live with it for the other features... eh if they ever all work all the time -.-

Screen = not a problem.

LegalAmerican

Reaction score
In my opinion, if you are complaining about the screen.......then you will be difficult to please. I mean how many smartphones can you see in direct sunlight? Just as RACINGTIGER indicated, if you need a better screen for something then you should probably be carrying a tablet or watching an actual HDTV. I can see it if it was a HORRIBLE screen quality, but just a little pixely? This phone offers so much that finding an issue with the screen is being a little too picky/thorough.

I hope that doesn't offend anyone cause I understand a difference in opinions and what is important, but I actually think the screen quality is plenty sufficient.

CurGeorge8

Reaction score
I have been using the Bionic now with an extended battery and have been very pleased. I have not ever experienced the data connection issues that everyone else seems to talk about. 4G is smokin fast, and data offload to wi-fi is near seamless.

I'm running pure stock, as I haven't found a reason to load a custom rom or root the device yet. PDA net works fine for tethering, and I'm willing to pay them $15 for something that has value to me.

The only issues I have are mostly annoyances. The camera shutter is unbearably slow, as-in forget taking any action pictures. And the moto blur effects when you swipe from screen to screen are a little overkill.

That said, I'm definitely satisfied with the device.

atlrus

Reaction score
You should really wait a bit before committing to the Bionic. Besides the issues others have mentioned, the battery is laughable.
The larger capacity battery was a main selling point for me (coming from the Tbolt's 1300 mAh), but it's actually worse. After streaming 2 episodes of Family Guy on Netflix my battery goes from Max to 15%...

mikespe

Reaction score
I just got back from comparing my Bionic to the Rezound and IMHO the Bionic won hands down! Yea I'm rooted with the leaked update installed...running Go Launcher. But to be quite honest the Rezound seemed VERY slow compared to the Bionic. I tried opening & closing apps quickly on both phones trying to get a forced close...neither phone FC's but the Rezound was slow to recover from each app closing & opening. Plus the Sense launcher seemed to take up a lot of the screen real estate. The phone felt good in my hands though & the screen was colorful but too saturated for my eyes.

IMO the Rezound is a good phone but I feel the Bionic AND the Razr (I compared it to my Bionic too) are better phones. But for me the Razr is just WAY too thin! I feel if I put it in my front pocket & squatted down that the glass on the phone would crack.

Badger1313

Reaction score
Bionic

I've had a Bionic for about a month, rooted but stock, extended battery, lots of apps. It is very fast, and flows well. The screen is brighter than the razr and I don't mind the pixelation. My previous phone was a rooted OG running GPA19, SetCPU and a 1.2Ghz chevy kernel. There is no comparsion. The OG had screen lags and required constant tweaking to maintain enough RAM. The Bionic is preloaded with Battery save options, plenty of RAM and other features that make it easy to like. The shutter problem, blur and preloaded crap will be fixed with the release of ICS in a few months, or a hacked version of ICS even sooner. The phone is massive but solid and I prefer its feel to the Razr. The on-screen keyboard options are easy. I seldom used the OG slide-out keyboard. Everyone's taste is different, but if you want a solid phone that will continue to be relavant for some time, you won't be dissappointed in the Bionic. Just sayin...:icon_eek:

bluezdawg

Reaction score
I'd be patient and wait and see if the Bionic network drops are fixed. I have not missed the keyboard on my original Droid. Bionic has potential to be a great choice given the the price drop if the problems are addressed. I just would not recommend hedging you bets at this time.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

MECHANO

Reaction score
Hi, i am also thinking of buying a bionic... i have heard of the data drop between 3g and 4g, but does it occur between 3g and 1x as well? I don't have to worry about 4g... won't be getting that for a year or 2.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

dalegg

Reaction score
Hi, i am also thinking of buying a bionic... i have heard of the data drop between 3g and 4g, but does it occur between 3g and 1x as well? I don't have to worry about 4g... won't be getting that for a year or 2.

No, there is never any problem with 1x, it is only data. WIFI is no problem either.

RacingTiger03

Reaction score

yes! For me at least data drops have always been MUCH worse on 3G than on 4G

Padevilman

Reaction score
Does any body know if the droid bionic will fit in the windshield mount cradle for the droid x ? I love my droid x and would like to upgrade to the bionic if it will work in the cradle, I just hate to re purchase all the extras every time I upgrade . Also, can you lock the bionic on 3g so its not searching for 4g, to conserve battery while your not in a 4g area ?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MECHANO

Reaction score
Are there any of you who went from a d3 to the bionic? Is the camera at least a little better? If you only run 3g, what kind of battery life do you get?

wkwaggoner

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid turbo 2
Bionic issues and waiting

I too have had all the standard issues with the Bionic. Waiting for the update to see if they get fixed. If not then will let it go and possibly go back to the OD1. I need reliable data when I need it and never had this issue with my OD1. I don't have 4g in my area but I do expect it to come within the year. I hope it gets fixed as I like this phones capabilities. I also hope Peil Frama makes a case for it soon. I hate the otterbox's size. Does the job protecting it, but it is huge and plastic. Does anyone really know when the update is coming? AND! what about ICS? yawn

Padevilman

Reaction score
If anyone was wondering, the bionic will NOT fit in the droid X navagation cradle. The charging and hdmi jacks are over about 1/2" and the phone is slightly taller.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LegalAmerican

Reaction score
You can shut off 4g so it sticks only to 3g. And with the ext battery on CDMA only, I get about 30 hrs with moderate/light use.