Two New LTE Device In Verizon Detabase (HTC & Samsung)

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
I've always had either LG or Moto for my phones (not that I've had a great deal of them), so I don't know much about HTC or Samsung. I do like the looks of the HTC, though.

Don't forget, Motorola delivered the Droid X with a locked & encrypted Boot Loader (that much, I can forgive), but they also *booby-trapped* it with an eFuse that almost ruined my Droid X. I had a friend, who is a real life cellphone tech/electrical engineer repair it, and it took him six hours to undo their act of terrorism. The eFuse serves no function other than malicious nastiness, and is truly a criminal act, IMO.

Think about things like that, the next time you consider a Motorola product.

-Mike

How in the world did that chip do anything to your phone, ive ran ever custom ROM, overclocked, etc, etc without a single problem on mine. Sure it wasn't a little bit of user error ;)

Oh, it most definitely WAS user error on my part. No disputing that. My point was the *presence* of the eFuse served one purpose only - pure malice, and it's inclusion was, IMO, a criminal act on the part of Motorola. Still I didn't go crying to Motorola or Verizon - furthest thing from my mind. I took MY phone to MY friend and used MY money to have it repaired. Learning from my mistake, I now know what I did wrong, and will never buy a Motorola product again or accept one of their OTA updates which are in essence malware, in that they intentionally un-root phones whose owners have made a conscious effort root them and install custom roms.

Nope, in the future I'll take system upgrades through custom roms only. :)

-Mike

cpjr

Reaction score
Don't forget, Motorola delivered the Droid X with a locked & encrypted Boot Loader (that much, I can forgive), but they also *booby-trapped* it with an eFuse that almost ruined my Droid X. I had a friend, who is a real life cellphone tech/electrical engineer repair it, and it took him six hours to undo their act of terrorism. The eFuse serves no function other than malicious nastiness, and is truly a criminal act, IMO.

-Mike

How in the world did that chip do anything to your phone, ive ran ever custom ROM, overclocked, etc, etc without a single problem on mine. Sure it wasn't a little bit of user error ;)

Oh, it most definitely WAS user error on my part. No disputing that. My point was the *presence* of the eFuse served one purpose only - pure malice, and it's inclusion was, IMO, a criminal act on the part of Motorola. Still I didn't go crying to Motorola or Verizon - furthest thing from my mind. I took MY phone to MY friend and used MY money to have it repaired. Learning from my mistake, I now know what I did wrong, and will never buy a Motorola product again or accept one of their OTA updates which are in essence malware, in that they intentionally un-root phones whose owners have made a conscious effort root them and install custom roms.

Nope, in the future I'll take system upgrades through custom roms only. :)

-Mike

I understand, unfortunately I believe all companies will be moving toward practices like that as time goes on and they see what happens in the hacking community. Android being sold as an open platform has already taken several of those stabs already in the past year :(

DaWolf85

Reaction score
I understand, unfortunately I believe all companies will be moving toward practices like that as time goes on and they see what happens in the hacking community. Android being sold as an open platform has already taken several of those stabs already in the past year :(

Well, if they're damaging rooted phones on purpose, that's destruction of property, as rooting is legal - so one could probably get them to stop doing that using legal action, if it came to that.

cpjr

Reaction score
I'm just talking about stuff like locked bootloaders and such.

DaWolf85

Reaction score

Hopefully, there will always be at least one relatively open company from which we can buy phones and ignore the others.

bigkoch125

Reaction score

Hopefully, there will always be at least one relatively open company from which we can buy phones and ignore the others.

Im sure there will be I mean HTC and samsung dont seem to be going towards locking down their phones but who knows that could change. Guess we will just have to wait and see

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
I now know what I did wrong

-Mike

Please describe what you did wrong to set off the E Fuse.

My mistake was this: Having rooted and installed the custom bootloader, I was trying to install a theme, but forgot the important fact that on a Droid X, you have to enter recovery (for things like installation of themes) through the bootloader. In other words, you gotta call up the bootloader, activate it and then, while still in the bootloader, use it to access CWRecovery.

My mistake was rebooting into recovery, and telling it to install a theme from the SD card. It did, then when I rebooted, it froze at the "M" logo. I've got two other rooted phones, and I tried everything I could think of to get back to recovery and do a nandroid restore. Finally, I contacted my friend the cellphone technician and took the phone to him. It took this guy, who has a degree in electrical engineering, six HOURS to undo the malicious effects of Motorola's eFuse. He told me to be careful in the future, as he didn't know for a fact if he could restore it a second time.

THAT is what I consider criminal behavior on Motorola's part - certainly conspiracy to commit what amounts to a terrorist act - lay a trap for the unsuspecting owner of the phone, and when they walk into it, BAM, you lock their phone up tighter than a drum. There is no rational reason, other than malice, to install such a trap like that in a cell phone - NONE.

The Evil Empire (Motorola) won that round, but I will never spend any of my money on their products, or accept their OTA updates on my phones. I'll take future enhancements from custom roms, built by people I can trust...like the members of this forum or the other fine forums like XDA.

My two cents worth...

-Mike

electric6

Reaction score
well, i was hoping for the msm8660, or the qsd8670 for the mecha, but i guess ill have to be satisfied with the updated 1 ghz. I have been waiting for this phone a very very long time(since evo) and now that its just around the corner, i dont think i can wait any longer! 1 year contract ftw, and snatch up it's dual core successor next year!!! :icon_ banana:

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've always had either LG or Moto for my phones (not that I've had a great deal of them), so I don't know much about HTC or Samsung. I do like the looks of the HTC, though.

-Mike

Good point and one to consider. Of course I never even tried to root my Droid and it's run fine for me. Ditto with my Moto e815 when I was using that.