To root, or not to root? Advice please!

droideclipse

Reaction score
Ok, so I've been contemplating this decision for a while now and I just have a few concerns left to be clarified.

1st: Once rooted, if for some reason I need to unroot my device, will it completely return it to factory settings? Or will Verizon always be able to tell that it has been rooted? Which leaves my warranty permanently voided...

2nd: What is the best way to avoid bricking my device?

3rd: Can you run normal apps on a rooted device? (e.g. barcode scanner, angry birds, facebook)

4th: Which method should I use? Here are the ones that I'm contemplating:

DroidXRoot
How To Root Motorola Droid X With One Click

SuperOneClick
Lifehacker, tips and downloads for getting things done

Christim's Method
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...08-multiple-phones-root-them-unroot-them.html

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!!

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I've been contemplating this decision for a while now and I just have a few concerns left to be clarified.

1st: Once rooted, if for some reason I need to unroot my device, will it completely return it to factory settings? Or will Verizon always be able to tell that it has been rooted? Which leaves my warranty permanently voided...

2nd: What is the best way to avoid bricking my device?

3rd: Can you run normal apps on a rooted device? (e.g. barcode scanner, angry birds, facebook)

4th: Which method should I use? Here are the ones that I'm contemplating:

DroidXRoot
How To Root Motorola Droid X With One Click

SuperOneClick
Lifehacker, tips and downloads for getting things done

Christim's Method
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...08-multiple-phones-root-them-unroot-them.html

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!!

1. Make a backup once you root. If you root with Z4 then you would flash your backup....open Z4....click "unroot"....that's it....back to stock.

2. READ READ READ READ READ....did I mention READ? Research is your friend....either that or have someone like myself who has done a ton of phones do yours too. But best idea is to learn so you know what you are doing and can support your own device.....also....if you don't know....ask. Yes you have to wait for answer but you will get the answer and being informed is the best way to avoid being screwed.

3. Yes

4. Z4root requires no computer. BUT it sometimes hangs on Droid X's....usually just pulling the battery and rebooting fixes it....when you boot you should be rooted. Another option, requires PC, is Superoneclick. Takes around 5 seconds....almost just as easy...and doesn't have the hang issues.

I have a "andyapppack" that I posted in a thread in my sig....just follow it for the DX and you should be good to go. If you have questions hit me up or just post em.....we are here to help. Well....and learn.....oh....and brag ;)

What I mean by follow it....is click on the "DX" towards the bottom of the first post is the app pack....just ignore the rest of the links if you are going to grab it as EVERYTHING you need is in there.

Last edited:
OP
D

droideclipse

Reaction score
First of all, thanks for the quick response! And once rooted with z4root, just make a backup with and app such as titanium backup? And I know this is probably a stupid question, but I've seen it everywhere... when you say "flash" my backup, what do you mean?

And if I do us the SuperOneClick method, is it possible to revert back to stock just like with the z4root method?

Last edited:

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
No....not with Titanium.....once you root your phone you are going to need to get an app called Droid X Bootstraper....or Droid 2 Bootstraper....sorry I have a D2 so I get confused on the name....anyway you would click "bootstrap recovery" then wait for success to pop up, click ok, then click "reboot recovery".....your phone will reboot and take you into a black screen with green text....you can only....ONLY use the volume keys to navigate....camera key for "ok" and power key for back. In there you would make your backup....that is also the place where you would do all your flashing.

As for reverting back to stock....I THINK so yes....but I am not totally sure. I would probably just go the Z4 way.

Where are you located?

pool_shark

Reaction score
Rooting alone is very simple. I have yet to read of anyone bricking their device just by rooting.

That usually happens once they start trying themes or ROMs.

Rooting just gives you "admin" access to your device so you can access the internal storage, install apps that need root access, and other more fancy customizations such as changing ROMs.

OP
D

droideclipse

Reaction score
No....not with Titanium.....once you root your phone you are going to need to get an app called Droid X Bootstraper....or Droid 2 Bootstraper....sorry I have a D2 so I get confused on the name....anyway you would click "bootstrap recovery" then wait for success to pop up, click ok, then click "reboot recovery".....your phone will reboot and take you into a black screen with green text....you can only....ONLY use the volume keys to navigate....camera key for "ok" and power key for back. In there you would make your backup....that is also the place where you would do all your flashing.

As for reverting back to stock....I THINK so yes....but I am not totally sure. I would probably just go the Z4 way.

Where are you located?

Ok, gotcha. Then I'll probably just go with Z4 instead of SuperOneClick.
And I'm in the middle Georgia area. I would go to someone for help, but no one around here has experience with rooting phones

OP
D

droideclipse

Reaction score
Well I decided to go ahead and try to root my phone using Z4 and it worked perfectly! Very easy to use! I just have a few last questions....

If I decide to use another ROM, will I have to overwrite my stock backup? Which ROM would you recommend? And what's the easiest way to install one?