Thunderbolt? Yay or Nay

frankieg22x

Reaction score
I don't want to root twice...So I was thinking about giving it a little time until an update for the phone comes out so I can install the update, and then root. Also by then there'll be easier ways to root also.

I saw the rooting video, it is a lot of copying and pasting...but still a little nervous to try.

If you brick your phone, is there any way to un-brick it. (if there is such a word)

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but in most cases, if you wait a day or two, someone will create a ROM to push to your Rooted phone that will give you any OTA updates. Many times, the Devs actually get leaked software and you can be on Gingerbread before it is available OTA.

Check out the 3-step Root if you are nervous, basically just click a few buttons and let the phone reboot and you are Rooted.

Yes there are ways to unbrick depending on what happens. Just make sure that you have a full charge on the battery and take your time and read the instructions a few times before you do it.

Devs usually always have the files ready before the OTA is pushed to the phones. They already have gingerbread based roms for the droid 1...

devinhfox

Reaction score
Definitely taking a pass on the tbolt. Seems like they just upgraded the internals with no decent analysis on battery life.
First to market is always a gamble.

frankieg22x

Reaction score
Definitely taking a pass on the tbolt. Seems like they just upgraded the internals with no decent analysis on battery life.

People are making the battery issue a lot more than it is. One main reason why it drains so quickly is because the blockbuster app is constanly updating. Once that option is turned off it gets much better.

There is also a charging sequence to help extend battery life.

kparks

Reaction score
Got the phone yesterday and after reading all the veal on hear man.. u bet I was more than worried I'm a pretty heavy user I sent over 65 text and surfed the web and Droid forums for a little over 2 hours and played angry birds downloaded apps Polly about 8.. and set all my sync accounts up... And that was off 40% battery I was really surprised and I still had juice left I'm not sure what some ppl are doing but this thing is sweet so far.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

UNC

Reaction score
Even my iPhone has better reception...
'Nuff said. I will never take what you have to say about Andriod phones seriously ever again. I'm not "flaming" you for your choice, but anyone that can use an iPhone after they have used an Android is someone that I clearly will never agree with. You should be happy with your choice of phone, and please do be happy with it... just don't expect to post on an Android message board negatively and expect anyone to agree with you.

Anyone who can disregard the iPhone and iOS is obviously not of the mental aptitude to challenge ANYONE about their purchases. Have you actually ever used ANY iDevice, or do you just repeat what the haters say? If you can find me any app that works better on Android than iOS I'd love to see it. ANY APP.

I've actually been with Android longer than 99.9% of the people on this forum. (you probably included) I've had Android since the G1 LAUNCHED. But with that being said, I am not biased in either direction. Android has ALWAYS had terrible battery life, and it will until they graduate from code run through a VM, to code run NATIVELY by the OS.... Yet, the strength of Android is that when one manufacturer puts out a sub-par phone (Thunderbolt) with sub-par battery life and/or performance the door is still open for another manufacturer to put out a better one. (Bionic)

I'm thinking now that the Bionic will be my last Android phone though, not because of the OS, but because of how clannish and pious the "fandroids" are. It's bad enough when I've got people basically calling me stupid for liking a device (iPhone 4) that is (other than LTE) superior to what they think I should have. (Thunderbolt) It's even worse when they break down in to "sub-clans" saying "enjoy your locked-down motocrap" (actual quote) simply because I say HTC will never get my business again.

Some of you don't even know why you say the things you say, you're just an echo chamber!!!

The thread is called "Thunderbolt? Yay or Nay" not, "lets bash the guy with an opposing opinion". Awfully Steve Jobs-ian of you all to think that your thumbs up opinion of the Thunderbolt is somehow valid, while my thumbs down isn't...
Close-mindedness.

Hopefully I don't run into any of the biased, anti-open market, fandroids at the QNX forum when the Playbook releases.

BTW, how am I supposed to answer the OP without possibly answering negatively? His post didn't say "Blow smoke up my rear and tell me the Thunderbolt is the greatest thing ever!!!" He wanted an honest assessment and I gave it.... What more do you want from me? A lie?

alboboy10

Reaction score
I don't want to root twice...So I was thinking about giving it a little time until an update for the phone comes out so I can install the update, and then root. Also by then there'll be easier ways to root also.

I saw the rooting video, it is a lot of copying and pasting...but still a little nervous to try.

If you brick your phone, is there any way to un-brick it. (if there is such a word)

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but in most cases, if you wait a day or two, someone will create a ROM to push to your Rooted phone that will give you any OTA updates. Many times, the Devs actually get leaked software and you can be on Gingerbread before it is available OTA.

Check out the 3-step Root if you are nervous, basically just click a few buttons and let the phone reboot and you are Rooted.

Yes there are ways to unbrick depending on what happens. Just make sure that you have a full charge on the battery and take your time and read the instructions a few times before you do it.

I just dont wanna brick the phone that's all. I might check out the 3 step root, but I wanna wait for a one click method. And if pushes the root to the next update that would be even better. I wouldn't worry about unrooting and stuff.

Which one did you do? You said you would have preferred to do the long one, if I remember correctly you rooted using the three step method?

alboboy10

Reaction score
Even my iPhone has better reception...
'Nuff said. I will never take what you have to say about Andriod phones seriously ever again. I'm not "flaming" you for your choice, but anyone that can use an iPhone after they have used an Android is someone that I clearly will never agree with. You should be happy with your choice of phone, and please do be happy with it... just don't expect to post on an Android message board negatively and expect anyone to agree with you.

Anyone who can disregard the iPhone and iOS is obviously not of the mental aptitude to challenge ANYONE about their purchases. Have you actually ever used ANY iDevice, or do you just repeat what the haters say? If you can find me any app that works better on Android than iOS I'd love to see it. ANY APP.

I've actually been with Android longer than 99.9% of the people on this forum. (you probably included) I've had Android since the G1 LAUNCHED. But with that being said, I am not biased in either direction. Android has ALWAYS had terrible battery life, and it will until they graduate from code run through a VM, to code run NATIVELY by the OS.... Yet, the strength of Android is that when one manufacturer puts out a sub-par phone (Thunderbolt) with sub-par battery life and/or performance the door is still open for another manufacturer to put out a better one. (Bionic)

I'm thinking now that the Bionic will be my last Android phone though, not because of the OS, but because of how clannish and pious the "fandroids" are. It's bad enough when I've got people basically calling me stupid for liking a device (iPhone 4) that is (other than LTE) superior to what they think I should have. (Thunderbolt) It's even worse when they break down in to "sub-clans" saying "enjoy your locked-down motocrap" (actual quote) simply because I say HTC will never get my business again.

Some of you don't even know why you say the things you say, you're just an echo chamber!!!

The thread is called "Thunderbolt? Yay or Nay" not, "lets bash the guy with an opposing opinion". Awfully Steve Jobs-ian of you all to think that your thumbs up opinion of the Thunderbolt is somehow valid, while my thumbs down isn't...
Close-mindedness.

Hopefully I don't run into any of the biased, anti-open market, fandroids at the QNX forum when the Playbook releases.

BTW, how am I supposed to answer the OP without possibly answering negatively? His post didn't say "Blow smoke up my rear and tell me the Thunderbolt is the greatest thing ever!!!" He wanted an honest assessment and I gave it.... What more do you want from me? A lie?

I wouldn't disregard the iphone and say it's a bad device, cause it's a great device. I love the iPhone 4 and in my opinion is the first actual idevice smartphone (given that the ones before had no multi tasking, first one no mms, etc etc etc). It's better in SOME respects than Androids (syncing music and pics and stuff) but I wouldn't say it's better in every respect. First of all as a phone, it's not better, not even close. Battery life on those things sucks too, don't forget the screen is tiny and the battery is larger than the TB's so the battery life of the iphone should be far superior, and it's not.

Not to mention that thing is all glass, plus it's antenna issues.

At the end of the day, it's all about what you prefer. I wouldn't buy an iphone simply because I don't like the simplicity of it (there's just one home button, i hate that u have to do everything with that one button).

pyro6128

Reaction score

Google Maps.

But yea, nay on the thunderbolt. I'm getting one for my mother's birthday because she won't really know the difference. She'll think its amazing and it'll make her happy (with the extended battery of course). But for me, the thunderbolt just doesn't cut it. Its a nice phone, but only a tiny marginal upgrade to whats already around. No way would I blow an upgrade, let alone large sum of money on this phone. If I didn't have a droid 2 already or another android phone, then maybe. But I've been spoiled by the D1 and D2

slinky

Reaction score
The Android OS is far better suited than iPhone OS to do anything other than multimedia, IMHO. The lack of simple drag and drop and sandboxing of applications plus iTunes makes simple app synchronization a beastly mess.

Reaction score
Ok sooooo..... the TB is rootable...sweet...the battery issue blows as I actually talk a lot on my phones lol...I text/web/chat/IM/everything on my phone....but the reviews are all over the place on whether I should get it or not...I'm up for upgrade...smh...thanks for all the info guys...I so love this forum.:heart::heart::heart::heart:

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would say neither yay or nay. I however would say yea!

Iphone is a fine price of hardware, but you're like me then its also rather boring. I much prefer Android as I get a more independent, complete experience. I rarely have to physically connect my phone to any computer to sync pics or music, and I get full the full web experience.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Anyone who can disregard the iPhone and iOS is obviously not of the mental aptitude to challenge ANYONE about their purchases. Have you actually ever used ANY iDevice, or do you just repeat what the haters say?

I didn't disregard the iPhone/iOS devices, I disregard your opinions on the phones as after reading your many posts bashing the Andriod phones, I think I made that pretty clear that you and I do not agree, this post just further proves the point that you and I are at two opposite spectrums.

As for the iOS devices, I test, demo, purchase and use all of the IT Hardware for my company, and I am the Manager for our Smartphone purchases. I have used the iPhone 3G all the way up to the iPhone 4 for VZW. I came from Blackberry (one of the huge ones with the thumb dial). My first Android was a Droid X last July, though prior to that I tested extensively the original Droid. My wife owns a HTC Incredible, my sister has a HTC Aria, and my mom owns a Droid 2. My company has purchased over 30 iPads (1st gen) and we just got a couple of iPad 2's. Having used and tested all the various devices, I have to say that I don't like iTunes syncing, Steve Jobs elitist attitude over criticism to his devices, and the fact that Apple censors their store and locks their phones down so that you can't modify the OS. If you are OK with all of those things (and you are judging by your current phone), then we disagree, therefore I will do nothing but butt heads with you.

If you can find me any app that works better on Android than iOS I'd love to see it. ANY APP.

Root Explorer. Flash. ROM Manager. (Get the idea of where my head's at?)

Your biggest complaint seems to be the battery on the TBolt. There are tons of people, myself included, that simply had no problems with battery life. I had 9 hours on a Monday (my busiest phone day) on the 3G network, no WiFi. Now that I rooted, I have 14 hours in both yesterday and today on WiFi... I am willing to bet I will be getting close to 11 hours tomorrow (testing to see). The iPhone 4 has nearly 1" less of a screen to power up and no "bloatware" installed, and doesn't multitask, so I would expect it to have consistently better battery life. All my love of the Android Phones makes me having to have two batteries or a charger nearby a fair trade-off... others don't, and that's perfectly fine.

Again, I don't understand why someone that feels that way about the Android phones, as well as the "FanDroid" users would come onto an Android lover's message board all but saying that one of it's biggest manufacturers (HTC) is the worst company, and made a horrible device (TBolt), all while touting how you have your iPhone expecting for us to embrace you or even think that having one of the 1st Android OS'ed phones makes a difference to us. If you want to bash the TBolt or any other Android device in favor of an iPhone, I would politely suggest you find an Apple fan message board site and talk to those guys and girls.

Close-mindedness.

Two things on this: 1) It is my understanding that the OP asked "Yay or Nay" on the TBolt as they were asking if the phone is a great phone or not, not if the phone was better/worse than another phone. 2) I never said my opinion was valid and yours wasn't to the OP, just that your opinion doesn't align with mine, that I feel that I can refute every complaint that you've made about the TBolt, and that I would never pick an iPhone 3 or 4 over many of the current Androids available...

I've already asked for my Demo Playbook. If I want to go talking to people about it (if it is really good), it won't be on these message boards, it will be with other people that have one for obvious reasons. If I did mention that I owned one on these boards, it may just be if someone were to ask what devices I had.

No, at the least, you would say "Nay, the battery sucks, etc." Make your point/post and be done with it. No need to post 15 times with the same basic comment at its core. Bash the TBolt if you like, but I would also suggest that you don't praise an iPhone in the same thread. The question wasn't "TBolt or iPhone."

dakoop

Reaction score
DROIDX gingerbread is making me second guess ordering the bolt

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Capt.D

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
DROIDX gingerbread is making me second guess ordering the bolt

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Thunderbolt may get it first if it keeps getting put back...

alboboy10

Reaction score
Just to add to world of johnny boy I was one of the people complaining about battery at first. No root yet but I did get over 24 hours on one charge with moderate use. Plenty of texting, some Facebook, internet, downloading apps....even watching some naughty videos over 4g. I have to say the 4g is better than my home internet connection which gets me 30mgb plus.

And I love this huge screen omg its just beautiful. I will slap the next person that compares a tiny 3 inch over pixelated screen to my beautiful gigantic screen. Lol this phone is amazing. HTC messed up with the tiny battery but hey, if u need a bigger one u CAN add one. Unlike some other smartphones.