★★★ The "Official" I got my DROID BIONIC Thread ★★★

wldfyr7

Reaction score
Going on day 5 with my Bionic. Extremely happy with it so far. Coming from a bb storm 1 &2, no comparison this phone rules!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

GadgetRick

Reaction score
Close enough :)
LOL!

I also was a charter member of AOL back then. Was only available on the Mac at the time. I was #1877 subscriber. I haven't been on AOHell for many many years though.

Am I showing my age?

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
LOL!

I also was a charter member of AOL back then. Was only available on the Mac at the time. I was #1877 subscriber. I haven't been on AOHell for many many years though.

Am I showing my age?

LOL yea I was a charter member back then to, it was called, for at least the very first few months, Apple Online. They even sent me a tshirt. I still use aol as its free and I have had the same email address for the past 12 years, but is really going down hill in a big way. I'd be surprised if they had more than 4 employees now .. <g> It had its time when it was Americas choice, but times change with technology .. but your post reminded me of the early pioneers of the online world, which I remember as some of the best times I can remember. Watching technology evolve from then to now.. a world of difference.

Last edited:

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
^Dontcha just miss those AOL discs they would hammer you with in the mail and or everywhere? They were impossible to escape!

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
^Dontcha just miss those AOL discs they would hammer you with in the mail and or everywhere? They were impossible to escape!

Yea... was one in the mail like every other day. It's a shame, if they had played their cards right it may have worked out for them. But they will always be a big part of telecom history and it's evolution. I think I keep it around as more of a nostalgic thing..

Last edited:

GadgetRick

Reaction score
LOL yea I was a charter member back then to, it was called, for at least the very first few months, Apple Online. They even sent me a tshirt. I still use aol as its free and I have had the same email address for the past 12 years, but is really going down hill in a big way. I'd be surprised if they had more than 4 employees now .. <g> It had its time when it was Americas choice, but times change with technology .. buy your post reminded me of the early pioneers of the online world, which I remember as some of the best times I can remember. Watching technology evolve from then to now.. a world of difference.
You're exactly right. It was called Apple Online because Apple had contracted Quantum (remember they were the original company) to write a GUI for an online service. Apple used AppleLink for their technical people and sales people to get/share info (I used to be an Apple tech for the company I worked for). Then Apple said they didn't want to use it so Quantum turned it into AOL.

AppleLink actually had a GUI but not anything like what they did with AOL. AppleLink (I believe) was the first online service to have any kind of GUI although it was for a limited audience.

I gave up on AOL a long time ago. Got tired of the slowness, the discs (as another poster mentioned). They kept adding more subscribers but never upgrading their systems to handle them.

A few years later Apple decided they wanted to jump back into the online world. They licensed the GUI from Quantum (yes, the same stuff they contracted to have written originally). They called their service eWorld. I actually did some contract work for eWorld back then.

Ah the memories...

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
You're exactly right. It was called Apple Online because Apple had contracted Quantum (remember they were the original company) to write a GUI for an online service. Apple used AppleLink for their technical people and sales people to get/share info (I used to be an Apple tech for the company I worked for). Then Apple said they didn't want to use it so Quantum turned it into AOL.

AppleLink actually had a GUI but not anything like what they did with AOL. AppleLink (I believe) was the first online service to have any kind of GUI although it was for a limited audience.

I gave up on AOL a long time ago. Got tired of the slowness, the discs (as another poster mentioned). They kept adding more subscribers but never upgrading their systems to handle them.

A few years later Apple decided they wanted to jump back into the online world. They licensed the GUI from Quantum (yes, the same stuff they contracted to have written originally). They called their service eWorld. I actually did some contract work for eWorld back then.

Ah the memories...

Yea I remember the dial up days when people couldn't even get on because lines were all busy .. we're showin our age here Rick.. lol

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
^ I came in at 128k ISDN, my buddy had it at his internet coffee shop. Get this, the ISDN connection was $250 a month! *Another thing, yea the busy signal. I had another buddy who's phone was NEVER not busy. He was pretty much in front of his pc at all times (14.4k dial up), waiting 5 minutes for each jpeg to download!

Last edited:

jmhinkle

Reaction score
Finally broke down and settled on the Bionic. It arrives Thursday. I was happy with my Incredible once it was rooted so I was in no rush. I wanted the Sii, but Verizon failed there. I was going to hold out and switch to T Mobile, but they are now AT&T and I will never go back to those bastards. I considered going to Sprint since they are the only phones that work in our building, but they have no plans for 4G here anytime soon. At least Verizon is claiming by the end of the year. Never been a Motorola fan, but the selection of phones on Verizon leaves me no choice. Hopefully it works decent.

Jelem1880

Reaction score
Finally broke down and settled on the Bionic. It arrives Thursday. I was happy with my Incredible once it was rooted so I was in no rush. I wanted the Sii, but Verizon failed there. I was going to hold out and switch to T Mobile, but they are now AT&T and I will never go back to those bastards. I considered going to Sprint since they are the only phones that work in our building, but they have no plans for 4G here anytime soon. At least Verizon is claiming by the end of the year. Never been a Motorola fan, but the selection of phones on Verizon leaves me no choice. Hopefully it works decent.

Maybe you should have waited because you dont seem thrilled about settling on a $300 device. I purchased my bionic knowing that it was truly what I wanted, and it even surprised me with a few extras. The good thing is that you have 14 days to return it if it doesn't work out. But I think you'll like it over your incredible.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

leonard

Reaction score
Just got my new Bionic. It is an upgrade from my employer issued Droid1.

Had to go to a meeting, so it is on my desk still in the box.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

BuckyN8

Reaction score
Just got my Bionic after upgrading from a BB Tour. The best decision I have made (and not getting the iphone :)). Excellent phone!

PhxPhin

Reaction score
My wife & I both upgraded to the Bionic today .... our first jump into the world of smartphones .... now we just need to figure out what to do with them .... she picked them up from Costco on her lunch break, so I won't be able to mess around until I get home from work (and realistically not until the kids go to bed)

kjumper187

Reaction score
Got mine Saturday...Loving it! Only thing is the FB pics and contacts not syncing. Searched here and through google, tried everything I came across and no results yet. Other than that...diggin' it pretty good.