The iPhone 5 Falls Behind Android on All US Carriers According to Consumer Reports

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
apples-make-a-tasty-android-snack.jpg

It looks like Andy is making a tasty snack out of Apple, and a major shift has finally occurred. Consumer Reports shared their latest compile data, and the iPhone 5 has fallen behind Android on all US carriers in rankings. As you can see in the snapshot of their recent report pictured below, for AT&T, the iPhone 5 comes in third after the LG Optimus G and the SGS3. The exact same result is true for Sprint as well. On Verizon, the iPhone 5 doesn't even rank in the top 3, and it doesn't rank at all on T-Mobile since they don't sell it yet.

CR-smartphone-review.jpg

It's interesting (but not surprising) that on Verizon the Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX HD and Droid RAZR HD ranked first and second respectively. Overall, the iPhone 5 has sold very well, but it appears that consumers are now starting to become more enamored with the Android tech than Apple's latest offering. It's probably not too surprising since the iPhone 5's hardware and software specs were still a little bit behind it's older Android competition even on the day it launched.

Even though most of us already knew this, it has now become "official" (at least according to mass consumers) that the iPhone is no longer the top-of-the-line smartphone product in the mobile world.

Source: AndroidAuthority

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Apple has become stale, plain and simple. They haven't done much with their phone other than making everything a little bit better and introducing a disastrous app known as Apple Maps. With such limited upgrades from the 4 to the 5 there really is no reason to upgrade.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
not surprising . they need to come up with something totally new in order to stay on top. IMO

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Motorola needs to release the Razrs on the other carriers to eat Samsung.

Even if there was an unlocked RAZR on ATT, I wouldn't get it. I'm very happy with my S3 and have used the RAZR. What comes out when my upgrade is avaialbe in 15 months, i'll see then, but for now, nah.

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Apple has become stale, plain and simple. They haven't done much with their phone other than making everything a little bit better and introducing a disastrous app known as Apple Maps. With such limited upgrades from the 4 to the 5 there really is no reason to upgrade.

That's one of the prices of suing everyone for patent infringement: money that could have gone to R&D went to litigation instead.

My own thoughts on the shift:

1) Jelly Bean is finally up to par as a user experience for the Joe Average smartphone user--it's polished, looks good, has equivalent functionality for the most part, and is now therefore just as attractive. Having multiple choices of hardware really helps too, I feel, as you can get different screen and phone sizes, different brands, and for the few who still insist (such as my better half), a slide-out physical keyboard.

2) The whole "iphone" upgrade just seems more like a social upgrade than an actual hardware/OS upgrade. "Ooooh, you've got the iphone 5...how cool!" Ummm...OK. Like mentioned above, the hardware and software upgrades were incremental at best, and in apple's typical arrogance, they felt they could do mapping better than Google. Look where it got them: the butt of mapping and navigation jokes for months. They're just proving again their expertise is packaging and marketing average hardware/software and selling it for a premium price. The hysteria for the iphone 5 was not as crazy as it was for past model releases (except for the computing press of course), and the uptick in sales was not as high as it was in past releases either. Could the bloom be off the rose for apple now?

BTW, does anyone think apple will sue Consumer Reports for this article? :biggrin:

Last edited:

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
Holding an iphone in my hand after getting used to my Note 2 is like holding a SD-card in my hand with a screen on it. :blink: I needed to make some changes to a coworkers iphone and my first thought was, "How the heck am I supposed to type on this screen?" I remembered quickly enough but was glad to return my "normal" screen.

jayman350

Reaction score
Holding an iphone in my hand after getting used to my Note 2 is like holding a SD-card in my hand with a screen on it. :blink: I needed to make some changes to a coworkers iphone and my first thought was, "How the heck am I supposed to type on this screen?" I remembered quickly enough but was glad to return my "normal" screen.

haha i know exactly what you are talking about, my brother handed me his iphone4s to look at a video and i was like "wtf, how do you do anything on that tiny screen?" The response I got was priceless fanboy, "doesn't matter how big the screen is, cause it just works" :icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes:

of course my "normal" screen is still relatively small compared to the Note 2's

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
haha i know exactly what you are talking about, my brother handed me his iphone4s to look at a video and i was like "wtf, how do you do anything on that tiny screen?" The response I got was priceless fanboy, "doesn't matter how big the screen is, cause it just works" :icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes:

Yeah, I caught that flack myself. "You can't operate a phone one-handed if it's larger." Umm, I do it every day. And ever since I replaced the ROM on my stock TBolt, it has been "just working" for a year and a half now...and speed-wise it ran circles around my buddy's iphone 4S without my being overclocked.

My 14-year-old daughter hates her iphone 4 with a passion...she wants an S3. :D