Android devices taking top honors on all carriers

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Its still telling though that all those top smartphone manufacturers have chosen Android. It is too early for windows phone 7 phones to be compared, though.

Droidforums.net appified!

jhatton

Reaction score
I know they all have different OS...I'm just saying if all the new phones are droid, which are majority...and who rules? Majority...Therefor it isn't a fair assumption...

Do you see where Im a going with this? But yet the number phone picked by the experts is the IPhone 4? Why is that? that is from cnet and few other publications. with the Droid X and the IPhone 3g running 2nd and third...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think the majority of people are shopping by carrier and going for style/hardware. Not that IOS isn't just as good in its own way, but I think a lot of the IPhone buyers are attracted to the hardware and the brand.

If you look year-over-year, IPhone had impressive growth (as did all), but it's market share remained flat @25%.

People always want to say "what if IPhone had more than one handset". Well, let's turn it around and say "what if the IPhone hardware sold running Android?" An IPhone running Android or IOS on another phone would cannibalize a lot of the existing IPhone sales.

IMO, the brand is powerful. But there's a lot of competition, and side-by-side all else equal I think you'd see upwards of 10 phones (maybe more) taking the lionshare of the market. Within that segment, IPhone branding is probably worth a 2 to 1 share.

One of the things being ignored in this debate is a lot of people who want an IPhone are already tolerating AT&T's service. If you don't want an IPhone or something else is more appealing you've probably left AT&T by now.

The other big thing being ignored is the branding/marketing does have a huge impact, but IOS on another phone IS NOT an IPhone, not to mention the fact that there is only one IPhone and only one cell running IOS is critical to the marketing/branding strategy.

And the main reason Android is popular with so many manufacturers is that it costs them nothing. They make more money while still being able to price competitively. I don't think there's a huge market of potential buyers out there (that don't already own an IPhone) willing to pay an extra $100 for a cell running IOS vs. the same hardware running Android. It's very difficult to make money competing on volume with something that is free, and this is why I don't think you'll ever see IOS licensed to more than a few, if at all.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Apparently that fragmentation that was proposed as being the death of Android is actually helping.:icon_ devil:

I believe however that all devices need to get on matching OS's and similar update schedules... but choice is powerful... and with Android devices you get choice of carrier and device :) (for the most part, after all it's not a perfect world)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Its still telling though that all those top smartphone manufacturers have chosen Android.

Not really. WinMobile comes with a licensing fee and IOS can't be licensed right now.

From a mfr perspective, if you can make the same profit selling an Android phone for $200 (because Android OS costs you nothing) vs. selling an IOS or WinMobile phone for $300, you're going with Android and selling more phones = more profit. If Android wasn't a good OS, then the economics would change but it's very competitive, including the apps market.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Apparently that fragmentation that was proposed as being the death of Android is actually helping.

Forget which one, but one of the app developers said the fragmentation issue is way overblown. Said they have 2 programmers dedicated for ALL of Android.

jhatton

Reaction score
But Verizon is only pushing the android. The last 8 phones (give or take) have been androids and even the new tablet they just starting, on the other hand ATT are pushing the new windows 7 phone, which Verizon refused to sell, cause of the kin fiasco. Which is a mistake in my opinion, whether it is or isn't...time will tell

My all point is verizon is pushing on the android phone, more than anything. Where ATT has a more choice when it comes to the new technology...BB is slowly dying in this field....

jayman350

Reaction score
Apparently that fragmentation that was proposed as being the death of Android is actually helping.

Forget which one, but one of the app developers said the fragmentation issue is way overblown. Said they have 2 programmers dedicated for ALL of Android.

IIRC that was facebook, and it came out shortly after Jobs had that conference call bashing Android

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To many look at my signature.
Hey you guys i think verizon should look like this:

1. Droid x/droid incredible as both has similar spec beside the 4.3 inches vs 3.7
2.droid 2
3. Samsung galaxy s

T-mobile has:
1.T-mobile g2
2.Mytouch 4g
3.Samsung vibrant
4.Motorola defy
5.Htc hd7/hd2

Sprint:
Htc evo 4g which doesnt have 16 million color that why the color look bad.
Samsung epic 4g

At&t:
IPhone 4/samsung capative
Htc aria
Blackberry torch
Htc surround

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To many look at my signature.
I'm getting the g2 in January. Sorry droid i really want to like u, but Motorola battery are just to sensitive. I love Google android os, just do not like MOTO and their phones. I rather go back to htc.