themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)

gibson99

Reaction score
i think thats what you meant.

now back to the topic...
why the F does the stupid shift function keep failing? i go into language/inputs 5-6 times a day to fix this stupid thing and it stops working for no apparent reason.
right now somehow CAPS works, but shift does not.

i've noticed in stock ics (still havent tried jb yet) that the shift key is inconsistent. i can tap shift then tap a number key or the apostrophe to get a symbol or quotes, but it's sporadic about capitalizing letters - sometimes i have to hold shift to get the uppercase letter, but not always. doesn't really bother me except when i want to capitalize something on the far left like A or Q. most times auto-cap takes care of it for me so it's not a big deal. i just hope i don't get the issue some are reporting where the , and . keys give < and > when you shift them, instead of ; and : because i actually use those a lot. i do use the lt/gt symbols when occasionally editing an html or xml file, but i'm ok going into the sym menu to get them since it's not very often that i actually need them.

Mr_Wolf

Reaction score
i've noticed in stock ics (still havent tried jb yet) that the shift key is inconsistent. i can tap shift then tap a number key or the apostrophe to get a symbol or quotes, but it's sporadic about capitalizing letters - sometimes i have to hold shift to get the uppercase letter, but not always. doesn't really bother me except when i want to capitalize something on the far left like A or Q. most times auto-cap takes care of it for me so it's not a big deal. i just hope i don't get the issue some are reporting where the , and . keys give < and > when you shift them, instead of ; and : because i actually use those a lot. i do use the lt/gt symbols when occasionally editing an html or xml file, but i'm ok going into the sym menu to get them since it's not very often that i actually need them.

For the , and ; problem, try this:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-4-general-discussion/239333-complete-jellybean-thread-36.html#post2406991

mikekhelxD

Reaction score
Has anyone found a way to fix the keyboard issue? I'm still contemplating on whether I should update to JB. I really can't type using the screen so having the shift, capitalization, and some of the keys not working are definitely a no-no for me.

SnglGrma

Reaction score
Has anyone found a way to fix the keyboard issue? I'm still contemplating on whether I should update to JB. I really can't type using the screen so having the shift, capitalization, and some of the keys not working are definitely a no-no for me.

Sorry to say, I do not think that there is a fix for the keyboard issues.... hence is why I will be getting rid of this phone once my contract ends..... unless there is a fix later...

kasouti

Reaction score

The keyboard does break occasionally causing the shift key to function like a pc, but freezing the Android keyboard (AOSP) 4.1.2-19 apk and unfreezing it seems to fix it for X number of hours.

mattjenn

Reaction score
I just use swiftkey and I have no issues with keyboard with SwiftKey physical keyboard works perfectly

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
You guys with keyboard issues update chome? The last update a week or so ago seemed to help the keyboard. For example caps lock: QWERTY, shift key once: Qwerty, and shift one before each key: ;?+_!@#$%^&*()", symbols ~`•√π¥÷× etc.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

kasouti

Reaction score
You guys with keyboard issues update chome? The last update a week or so ago seemed to help the keyboard. For example caps lock: QWERTY, shift key once: Qwerty, and shift one before each key: ;?+_!@#$%^&*()", symbols ~`•√π¥÷× etc.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, it made no difference. I've just been living with freezing and unfreezing the apk. Swiftkey looks like it would probably work as it ignores the apk entirely.

mikekhelxD

Reaction score
I just use swiftkey and I have no issues with keyboard with SwiftKey physical keyboard works perfectly

I'm not really familiar with swift key, but you don't have problems with the physical keyboard after the JB update when swiftkey is installed?

Can someone else confirm this? I don't even use the screen to type anything, so this might be a fix for all?

mattjenn

Reaction score
No issues with the physical keyboard with swift key it is also the only 3rd party keyboard I have found that auto correct and auto replace work properly with physical keyboard it was worth every penny paid for as I bought the full version

silverfang77

Reaction score
I can confirm no problems with SwiftKey. It's a great substitute for the native keyboard.

silverfang77

Reaction score
I finally figured out how to get rid of the old superuser.apk file. I has to uninstall Voodoo Rootkeeper first, then uninstall the superuser file from the app drawer. Now I just have the supersu file.

The only thing that sucks is there's no way to back up root now unless Voodoo is updated to support supersu.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk!